Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 180 of 229 Posts

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,296 Posts
Hopefully you were just joking... the bleeders go up

Just started swapping out my 4/2 pots. Does it matter which caliper goes on which side? Since there is no labeling, I just threw it on. I only did the front passenger side today, as it was getting dark. The bleeder valve is closer to the ground, than it is the strut. Looking at some pics, this appears to be the wrong side. It's not a big issue to swap it now, as I have yet to do any kind of bleeding. Not sure if this would even cause any kind of issue.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,296 Posts
nope. All imprezas 93-07 ;)

4pot brake discs from any impreza (gc/gf sti (some gt), gd usdm/eudm wrx, ...) with diameter 294mm.
True, obviously because the 4pots most of us (US'ers) swap are from the 06-07. ;) I was just saying 93-01 because its almost always someone with a 93-01 model asking about and/or doing the 4pot swap.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Hopefully you were just joking... the bleeders go up
Nope, I just threw it on. As I said, I didn't know and I'm not really reading any directions on it. I'm just pulling parts and swapping. Easy peasy.

I was just wondering if this would even cause problems. The calipers don't look like they were designed to be only used in a specific direction.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
Well not a huge issue. I already swapped the calipers around. Hey, not a trained mechanic here. I'm an IT guy.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,296 Posts
The bleeders go on top so the air bubbles in the calipers will be the first thing to come out when you bleed them. You'll learn these things from experience and asking questions, no biggie. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is the first post of this thread up to date on parts needed to do a complete re-haul for my RS (excluding pads/lines/fluid)?

Im currently putting a part list together for brakes, suspension and bushings/components (control arms, etc.)

Is this application sufficient for street/spirited driving?

Would it be wise to also change out my master cylinder and clutch line in the mean time?

What else should I be replacing, I believe my RS have all original parts, so Im thinking, control arms and bushings?

Much help needed here as this car is a new platform for me, thanks in advance.

·
a.k.a. phorque, Premium Member
00GC + 83AT + 01SF
1,190 Posts
Anyone know if I can use '06 WRX slotted rotors on my GC along w/'04 STI Brembos? Thanks. They were on my brothers '06 WRX wagon, so I figured they'd fit my RSTI, but I just wanna ask the experts here! Thanks.
Rotors for Brembos are bigger than the 4/2pots. Not mix-n-match.

·
a.k.a. phorque, Premium Member
00GC + 83AT + 01SF
1,190 Posts
I know that. My question is can I use the '06 WRX rotors w/the Brembo calipers on my GC? A lot of people say U have to use STI rotors, but if that's the case, how did my brother keep his slotted rotors along w/Brembos??
My mistake: you asked "can I use," not "should I use" or "will it fit?" I also neglected to predict all the variables in your brother's setup from one cryptic post.

Sure, you can use an undersized rotor with Brembo calipers. Good luck with that.

No. Use the correct size rotor for your brake setup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok guys I read through this whole thing and cant find an answer to my question. Im going to put 06/07 backing plates on an 01 RS. In the first post with the part numbers it has the part numbers for 06/07 wheel bearings. Can I use those for my 01 or do I need ones for my 01?

·
"meat", Premium Vendor
1993 Impreza L
1,087 Posts
Ok guys I read through this whole thing and cant find an answer to my question. Im going to put 06/07 backing plates on an 01 RS. In the first post with the part numbers it has the part numbers for 06/07 wheel bearings. Can I use those for my 01 or do I need ones for my 01?
id say us RS bearings.

this thread should be sticky.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,296 Posts
Just keep the same wheel bearings. That is how I did mine. They are most likely the same any way because the 06/07 backing plate has the same bolt pattern for the knuckle.

·
Registered
RED 99 L wagon
150 Posts
Sorry if this has already been addressed but is the stock 2.5 rs brake cylinder/booster okay to use with a 4 pot set up?
I'm looking for this answer too. I'm assuming I should at least go to an 02-05 master cylinder? Or do i need the 06-07 master cylinder? I'm installing a Wilwood 4/2 pot kit, just the fronts for now because i have to find hubs to replace my drums...

·
"meat", Premium Vendor
1993 Impreza L
1,087 Posts
I'm looking for this answer too. I'm assuming I should at least go to an 02-05 master cylinder? Or do i need the 06-07 master cylinder? I'm installing a Wilwood 4/2 pot kit, just the fronts for now because i have to find hubs to replace my drums...
if you plan on upgrading your master cylinder which you would benefit from greatly, the best improvements would be a 04 sti Master cylinder.

Do STI or nothing at all. Im sure they would both cost the same, new from subaru. and the STI has the largest diameter cylinder.

Another cheaper, easier, option, would be a grimmspeed master cylinder brace. This keeps the MC from surging forward under pedal movement and helps you use what you already have to its fullest ability.

If your going to drop loot on Wilwood, do noth the GSPD MCB and STI MCB. :)

·
Registered
RED 99 L wagon
150 Posts
if you plan on upgrading your master cylinder which you would benefit from greatly, the best improvements would be a 04 sti Master cylinder.

Do STI or nothing at all. Im sure they would both cost the same, new from subaru. and the STI has the largest diameter cylinder.

If your going to drop loot on Wilwood, do noth the GSPD MCB and STI MCB. :)
Thank you. Will i need a new booster for the 04 STI master cylinder? or should it bolt right onto my 99' L booster?

161 - 180 of 229 Posts