Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

101 - 120 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 rs
47 Posts
lacking a little bit of info. what rotors did you change the fronts out to?
did you bed the pads into the new rotors?
Did you clean the rotors to make certain you didn't have any grease/ ETC on the rotors back side and front?
Also start bleeding from the longest brake line first.

·
Better than you!
1997 LRSWRX, 1998 Lego GT
6,298 Posts
The rear 2 pots will not bolt up to the stock RS hubs, unless someone installed a set of rear WRX hubs beforehand they wont work. The WRX hubs push the caliper out further to accommodate the bigger rotors.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
1,528 Posts
The 06/07 backing plate mounts the 2 pot without any adaptor bracket

To mount rear 2 pots on most of the single piston rear caliper backing plates you need the Kartboy adaptor.

H6 rear uses the same size but non vented rear rotor - much cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 rs
47 Posts
The rear 2 pots will not bolt up to the stock RS hubs, unless someone installed a set of rear WRX hubs beforehand they wont work. The WRX hubs push the caliper out further to accommodate the bigger rotors.
Do you mean the 06/06 hubs with the backing plate already installed and utilizing the whole wheel hub, bearing and spindle assembly?
If so, then it is the actual backing plate that extends out the caliper mounts to accomodate for the larger diameter rotor?

The 06/07 backing plate mounts the 2 pot without any adaptor bracket

To mount rear 2 pots on most of the single piston rear caliper backing plates you need the Kartboy adaptor.

H6 rear uses the same size but non vented rear rotor - much cheaper alternative.
H6 uses the same size parking brake too?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
1,528 Posts
Do you mean the 06/06 hubs with the backing plate already installed and utilizing the whole wheel hub, bearing and spindle assembly?
If so, then it is the actual backing plate that extends out the caliper mounts to accomodate for the larger diameter rotor?

H6 uses the same size parking brake too?
Yes, both use the 170mm Parking brake.

- Joe

·
Better than you!
1997 LRSWRX, 1998 Lego GT
6,298 Posts
Right, it also pushes the mounting holes further apart if I'm not mistaken, only slightly. It's not necessary to get the entire hub, spindle and knuckle with the backing plate from a 2 pot WRX, I just chose to do it that way so as not to press in a new bearing into the GC hub.

·
Registered
96/99/07 lightning red
508 Posts
Yes, the 4 pots will bolt directly to the knuckle and all you need are the rotors and pads to go with the calipers. The rear 2 pots you need a conversion bracket.

- Joe
i just orded some Centric Premuim Rotors and Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads for this bad boy ;)

·
Registered
2001/1999 2.0 'RA' Coupe
746 Posts
ok. so i have the V5 JDM 4pot/2pot NonABS calipers/rotors/etc from an RA. i think the fronts are almost done and the rears arent far behind. also i am looking for street pads for daily use and track pads for...well the track.

from what i have read so far the 02-07 front pads should be a match (although not sure about the NonABS part) but i have not been able to find out about the rear pads.

suggestions?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
1,528 Posts
ok. so i have the V5 JDM 4pot/2pot NonABS calipers/rotors/etc from an RA. i think the fronts are almost done and the rears arent far behind. also i am looking for street pads for daily use and track pads for...well the track.

from what i have read so far the 02-07 front pads should be a match (although not sure about the NonABS part) but i have not been able to find out about the rear pads.

suggestions?
You need 06/07 Pads -

Fronts - D460/647/1182
Rear - D461

In Hawk - HB178/179
Stoptech and many other numbers have a version of the D number

Example
Front - 309.11820 (or 309.06470) same pad one has fewer squeal tabs)

Rear - 309.04610

Since you don't have ABS - and front rotor in 294 x 24 mm will work
Rear rotor is 290 x 18 - (06-07 WRX and 05-09 LGT)

We have a lot of choices in both street and track pads and rotors etc.

-Ken

·
Registered
MK6 GLI
593 Posts
My buddy is offering me front 4-pots, pads and rotors and complete rear H6 brakes. Ive never done any brake upgrades. Will there be a significant difference?

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
My buddy is offering me front 4-pots, pads and rotors and complete rear H6 brakes. Ive never done any brake upgrades. Will there be a significant difference?
Yes, absolutely. The 4-pots are a great compromise for a streetable and reasonably inexpensive brake upgrade that still provides improved brake feel and performance. I was very happy with my setup when I originally did the conversion - I would recommend stainless brake lines too, if you have a little extra cash. Much easier to do it now while you've got the braking system apart. And if you go with H6 rears it eliminates the most annoying part of this swap, which is replacing the rear backing plates or getting adapters to fit the 2-pots. I'd say to go for it.

·
Registered
MK6 GLI
593 Posts
Yes, absolutely. The 4-pots are a great compromise for a streetable and reasonably inexpensive brake upgrade that still provides improved brake feel and performance. I was very happy with my setup when I originally did the conversion - I would recommend stainless brake lines too, if you have a little extra cash. Much easier to do it now while you've got the braking system apart. And if you go with H6 rears it eliminates the most annoying part of this swap, which is replacing the rear backing plates or getting adapters to fit the 2-pots. I'd say to go for it.
alright thanks man.

·
Registered
95' Impreza L, 00' Legacy B4
56 Posts
THANK YOU!!!! LOL I was just asking about this last night because I hate the way my brakes feel and they overheat and fade way to fast for me. Funny part is I haven made any mods to the car yet but I know what Im doin first.:banana:

·
Registered
1999 2.5 RS coupe
144 Posts
Quick question: at work can't be on the phone , my front brake pads are completely worn and have started to scratch up the rotors. I have the JDM GC STi 4pot calipers and I am guessing it is exactly the same as the 06/07 wrx front calipers right? Going to autozone after work, would I just ask for 06/07 wrx front caliper pads? Those would be the same exact size to fit into my Jdm 4 pots?
Yes that's correct....the 06/07 wrx pads fit your JDM 4 pots. I have the same and just ordered those same pads and they fit perfect. Best bet is to just go get them and compare them to your old pads...you could always take them back if they dont fit.

·
Premium Member
02 WRB WRX Wagon, '00 STM RS
1,569 Posts
had that setup too and thats the answer. get that rotors resurfaced or get a new set if you've already scratched them up with the brake pad's metal plate.

·
Registered
'05 RS
104 Posts
I should have this upgrade done by the end of the summer. Just need to paint the calipers (dirty/chipped paint) and find some 16x7 wheels first. Local junkyard has some 98-01 6spk RS's (going to pick up 5 so I have full size spare), thinking about getting those and powdercoating black for use as my winter rims, then some 17x8 RPF1's for summer.

I'll then have 2 sets of oem RS/WRX wheels for sale if anyone is interested.

101 - 120 of 229 Posts