Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
2000, 2.5rs coupe, silver
23 Posts
Any word on how to do the two pot rear? How hard is it to change the back plate for those?

·
Registered
stm99,flatblack99,07sti,blk98
566 Posts
subaru genuine parts.com parts list from p/n on first page priced to sell
..ps. if you have 04-05wrx hubs and brakes you might just have to upgrade calipers and rear might have to mod?anyone chim in

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Any word on how to do the two pot rear? How hard is it to change the back plate for those?
You have to pull the wheel bearings to change the backing plates, and you shouldn't reuse your bearings. Pull your rear hub assemblies off and have a shop press out the old bearings and press in new ones with the '06-'07 backing plates attached. Then you can reinstall the rear hub/plate assembly, and the 2pot rears will bolt right up.

I ran into an issue with the parking brake when I swapped over to '06 4pot/2pots. I also swapped over to complete '06 WRX rear hubs as well so this may or may not apply to all cases. I used the '06 wrx parking brake cables and had to purchase a the splitter (or whatever it is called - place where cable splits from one to two to go to each corner. The '06 WRX one is slightly longer than the 2.5RS one.
I used the stock RS parking brake cables with the RS hubs and new backing plates, and mine is working fine. Seems like this issue must be due to the fact that you used the '06 hubs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the great info! I have a question if any one can answer. I want to do this swap on my 98 Legacy GT. I know the front calipers will bolt on without issue. Will the rear backing plates work on the Legacy?

Thank you.

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the great info! I have a question if any one can answer. I want to do this swap on my 98 Legacy GT. I know the front calipers will bolt on without issue. Will the rear backing plates work on the Legacy?

Thank you.
I don't expect you would have any problems. Virtually all Subaru AWD rear hubs for Legacy and Impreza with the 5x100 bolt pattern are based on the same hub assembly. As long as you have an R160 rear diff with the 170mm parking brakes, you should be fine. However, I would check your rear hubs against someone with an RS just to make sure.

·
Registered
Lego Wagon
1,610 Posts
The JDM Black 4 pots the lettering "subaru" is cast in like the old Nissan calipers from the 300Zs. The Newer red ones have decals and that surface is flat.

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
will any 03-07 wrx calipers swap direct (including: braket, caliper, rotor and pads)?
For the fronts, yes. You can either use your RS front calipers with an 02-05 WRX caliper bracket, or you can swap the 4-pots from an 06/07, which bolt directly to the front hub.

The rears are more complicated. 06/07 WRX 2-pot rear brakes require either an 06/07 WRX backing plate, or an aftermarket adapter bracket. More information on this can be found in the first post. Stock WRX rear brakes should bolt right up, but I think they're identical to the RS brakes, so they won't make much difference.

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
so what model cars can you do this on? i have a 1994 and it has drums in the back, is this useable on my car or is there another swap i would have to do?
That's a really good question. I see you have a FWD L, and there are some differences between the AWD and FWD rear hub/suspension assemblies. I have seen some catastrophic failures when FWD is converted to AWD without using all the AWD components, which leads me to believe the differences are substantial. Therefore I would not recommend trying to swap your drums to 2pot rears unless you are switching to AWD, or at least to the AWD cars' suspension components in the back.

However, I expect the 4pot fronts should bolt right up to your front hubs. If you have a friend with an AWD car you may want to compare your front hub designs to see if they are identical.

21 - 40 of 229 Posts