Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
99' Impreza L Wagon
36 Posts
I own a 99 impreza L wagon that has stock rear drum brakes. I'm swapping to 2 pots in the rear shortly and i was curious. Has anyone had any problems with swapping just your rear hub/knuckle assembly with 06/07 wrx ones? Or would i need to swap the fronts as well? And will the stock cv axels work with the new rear hub/knuckle assembly?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
442 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
You mean the calipers will fit? I read through the whole thread and there were people who said that the black calipers might not fit. Is this true?

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Touring
442 Posts
You mean the calipers will fit? I read through the whole thread and there were people who said that the black calipers might not fit. Is this true?
Yeah I meant all four calipers will fit with the proper size rotors and rear adapters. I know this because I have already done the brake conversation.

·
I kill threads!
Impreza Turbo 2000
3,747 Posts
I'd look for a different deal. I just bought 4/2 pots. 06/07 4/2 pots with rotors and pads for $800 after shipping. Course, if you have specific plans on what rotors and pads you want to get, then that wouldn't be so bad.

Turned out for me, the rotors are useless as Germans don't turn the things, so I can't smooth them back down to be useable. Stuck buying new rotors.

Right now, just riding on the pads and rotors that came with it and will see if it'll smooth down eventually. Already got Ferodo pads waiting and haven't decided on what rotors.

·
Registered
2000 V6 STi RA LTD
683 Posts
Just upgraded the rear on my ver 4 to a ver 6 type r huxbs diff and half shafts, and I can say without a doubt the drum ebrake pads ARE NOT the same size in any way shape or form. I also didnt use Subaru 2 pots due to over pricing here in Japan so I just ran with a set of R32 GTR 2(z32 work as well) pots note you have to change brake lines to -an style.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,281 Posts
Just buy some generic rotors front and rear online, ebay, etc. You're driving a 2000 wrx (prodrive) for pete's sake, don't make it suffer with raggedy rotors and pads. There are tons of normal low cost generic new rotors for sale on ebay, I've never had problems with mine.

I'd look for a different deal. I just bought 4/2 pots. 06/07 4/2 pots with rotors and pads for $800 after shipping. Course, if you have specific plans on what rotors and pads you want to get, then that wouldn't be so bad.

Turned out for me, the rotors are useless as Germans don't turn the things, so I can't smooth them back down to be useable. Stuck buying new rotors.

Right now, just riding on the pads and rotors that came with it and will see if it'll smooth down eventually. Already got Ferodo pads waiting and haven't decided on what rotors.

·
I kill threads!
Impreza Turbo 2000
3,747 Posts
Right now, I'm using the front rotors from the old 4 pots and the rear rotors that came with the 2 pots. The rears actually aren't bad, I need to toss those old fronts and put in the ones that came with the 4/2 pots I bought.

They work for now and aren't bad. Not pushing the car, since the tranny is missing 2nd gear. Tossing in my coilovers tomorrow and pulling the tranny. Then Sunday will be putting in the new tranny.

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I install these 4/2 pot wrx calipers I want to upgrade the lines as well, which ss brake lines do I use? 06 wrx brake lines? or 2.5 rs brake lines?

·
Registered
2000 V6 STi RA LTD
683 Posts
Need a hand, my rears use a -an style fitting for the caliper instead of a banjo bolt. Are there any lines for GC8s that have this set up instead of the banjo bolt style?

·
Registered
2006 2.5i San Remo Red SC
1,214 Posts
4 pot and 2 pot are cool to have but know couple of people with 316mm rotors vented using the stock calipers with brackets and just bigger pads from 300zx and there on par with the subaru 4 pot and 2 pot calipers. I sold mine and going this route also. Just a heads up to anyone thinking about wanting better stopping power..minus the look. More function than Form really.
Brake lines are the same just don't get into STI territory with lines but fitment is the same. on RS and wrx of 06 and 2.5i

·
Registered
2006 2.5i San Remo Red SC
1,214 Posts

You should have never used the used pads on the new rotors..and I doubt your gona run the rotors down before the pads lmao...smh take your time man. I know yourexcited and ready to go but now you gottah have the rotors shaved before putting on new pads unless its the same pads ( if you know what pads they where) Take your time their not going any where. I just sold some 4 pots and 2 pots also...personally nothig really better than the 2.5i stocky's....but I got them for 200 bucks sold them for 800..made some money off them...;)

·
I kill threads!
Impreza Turbo 2000
3,747 Posts
I didn't have new pads or new rotors. I was just using the used pads that came with the calipers on the rotors that were already on the car, instead of with the rotors that came with the calipers. It didn't work well, cause the wear pattern was different. It never did even out that way, so I put on the rotors that came with the calipers and that works fine.

As for new rotors, I don't have them yet. I just have the new pads sitting in a box in my trunk. I'll eventually get new rotors, just no idea when. I'm still getting the car in as good condition as possible.

181 - 200 of 228 Posts