Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Hey everyone, my roaring rear wheel bearing tells me it's high time I replaced them and upgraded my brakes in the process. It's time to go to 4/2 pots all around and I'll be using '06 WRX parts. Here is my list so far. I figured I would post this up with P/N's so anyone who wants to do this swap using used or new OE hardware could do so, and to check what I've missed. You can find used calipers on NASIOC or buy them from subaruwrxparts or subarugenuineparts.com, but in case you've missed something, here's the list I have. If I've forgotten anything, please add.

06/07 Rear Wheel Bearings (2) - P/N 28016AA020

06/07 Rear Backing Plates (1RH/1LH) - P/N 26704FE080/090
(you don't need these two if you use Kartboy or poleboy90's adapter brackets)

06/07 Rear 2-Piston Calipers (1RH/1LH) - P/N 26692FE040/050

06/07 Rear Brake Rotors (2) - P/N 26700AE081

06/07 Front 4-Piston Calipers (1RH/1LH) - P/N 26292FE041/051

06/07 Front Brake Rotors (2) - 26300AE061

You can reuse the stock 170mm parking brake. The 06/07 WRX used the same size as the RS and many other Subarus, including '02-'05 Impreza and WRX models. They fit between the rear backing plates and rotors. Just make sure if you get used parts you don't get rotors that fit the 190mm parking brakes that come on STi models with the R180 rear diff. Some older JDM STi models had the same non-Brembo 2-pot rear calipers with a 290mm rear rotor that fit the 190mm parking brake. The stock US rotors will fit even if you have JDM calipers.

As requested, here are some additional small details concerning the pins, clips, shims and springs required. The 4/2-pot calipers have a more complex pad mounting design that requires lots of hardware.

These two items do NOT come in a set of stock pads, and thus need to be purchased separately:
Front brake pins = 26228FA001 (need 4 total, 2 per 4-pot)
Front cross springs = 26232FA020 (need 2, 1 per 4-pot)
(Yes, I know it doesn't look like the cross spring number matches in the picture, but trust me, that's the correct number.)

The following stuff comes in a set of stock front brake pads (p/n 26296FE070), but if you need the individual numbers, here you go:
Pad clips = 26232FA010 (x4, 2 per caliper)
Shims = [26233AE020, 26233AE010 (x2) and 26233AE050] (2 sets of 4 per caliper)
Pad pin brackets = (26244FA010, 26244FA000) (2 sets of 2 per caliper)

I just bought stock pads and Hawk HP+ pads. That way I can drive around on the street on the stockers and go to the more aggressive Hawks for auto-x, reusing the stock shims, clips and brackets that came with the stock pads.

The 2-pot rears are a different design. In this case, a set of stock pads (p/n 26296FE070) came with everything I needed, which was just pad pins, shims, clips and guide plates.

Rear pins = 26628FA000 (x4, 2 per caliper)
Rear shims = (26633FA000 [x2], 26633FA010 [x2]) (2 sets of 4)
Rear clips = 26632FA000 (x4, 2 per caliper)
Rear guide plates = 26632FA021 (x4, 2 per caliper)

:burnout:

stoke

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Great idea!

If you buy used calipers make sure you get them complete, pins, clips and the little metal shims that sit on the outside of the pad.

If you don't happen to get them though, you can go to your friendly Nissan dealer and pick up the parts there as Subaru doesn't sell them seperately from the calipers.

As for the rotors, why not upgrade those as well, its not much more to pick up a nice set of slotted rotors. DBA for example.

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Updated, pictures added, plus clarified parking brake info. Fronts will go on this weekend and I'll add more pics. A shop is doing the rears because I don't have a press to do the rear bearings myself, and the hubs have to be reassembled with the new backing plates.

Also, the pins, clips and shims come with a set of OEM pads, which are P/N 26296FE070 (front) and 26696FE070 (rear). I decided to buy a set of stock pads for the street and buy more aggressive pads for auto-x and track, so I can just reuse the shims and stuff.

EDIT: The OE front brake pad kit does NOT come with pad pins and cross springs (the bent metal thingies that stick out of the back of the 4pots) so if you're doing this swap, don't forget to order them separately. The rear 2pot pad kit, weirdly, comes with everything you need. P/N's added above.

Hope this thread helps somebody out.

stoke

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Attempted to swap the fronts this weekend before I realized I was missing the cross springs and pins for the front calipers (note the edit above). Those are now ordered, and I will add photos when I get them.

stoke

·
Registered
'06 LGT
8,334 Posts
Great info, however would you be willing to add the cost of all of the parts for the future.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza RS Sedona
174 Posts
I just bought some used front Subaru 4-pot calipers. Can I use any year WRX rotor to go with these calipers and will they fit my 00' RS hub under the OEM RS 6-spokes wheels? Also for pads will only the 06/07 WRX pads work?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza RS Sedona
174 Posts
I just bought some used front Subaru 4-pot calipers. Can I use any year WRX rotor to go with these calipers and will they fit my 00' RS hub under the OEM RS 6-spokes wheels? Also for pads will only the 06/07 WRX pads work?
Any one?

·
Super Moderator
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
Yes all WRX front rotors should work, or at least 2002-2007 will. All the same rotor, 294mm vented. (~11.4")

Yes the 98-01 RS wheels will clear the calipers, with no spacers. They're JDM STi wheels and were designed for this purpose.

Great thread, I'll Stick it.

·
Premium Member
2005 STI , 1998 Outback Sport
206 Posts
Does anyone have the part numbers for the black calipers? I ordered the red ones and got them in today, but just really want black. Im not gonna paint calipers black when theyre factory painted already. If not im gonna just stick with the red ones.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,850 Posts
Blacks have some fitment issues in the back. I suggest you stick with red or paint the red ones black.

Honestly i'm not even sure they will send you black anymore unless you buy used from japan.

Chris

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blacks have some fitment issues in the back. I suggest you stick with red or paint the red ones black.

Honestly i'm not even sure they will send you black anymore unless you buy used from japan.

Chris
True, the only ones in Subaru's warehouse inventory in the US are the '06-'07 red ones. The JDM black ones were never sold here so there's no part number. If you paint the red ones black, you can get "SUBARU" stickers from Paranoid Fabrications to make them look factory. They have the stickers in a couple different colors.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
I ran into an issue with the parking brake when I swapped over to '06 4pot/2pots. I also swapped over to complete '06 WRX rear hubs as well so this may or may not apply to all cases. I used the '06 wrx parking brake cables and had to purchase a the splitter (or whatever it is called - place where cable splits from one to two to go to each corner. The '06 WRX one is slightly longer than the 2.5RS one.

Thought some people might be interested. As far as cost, I spent just under $1500 for hubs, calipers, upgraded and stock pads, upgraded and stock rotors, upgraded and stock lines, and motul RBF600 brake fluid.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza 2.5RS
261 Posts
do you need wheel bearings and backing plates for the front too? i see that you've only mentioned them for the front. --Arthur

1 - 20 of 229 Posts