Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want to upgrade my brakes but still be able to use 16" wheels. here are my choices i have narrowed things down too.
1.WIllwood/perrin front brakes and rear. (1300-1400?)
2.baer front brakes and brembo rotors rear.($900)
3.brembo slotted rotors fr and rr. ($600)
now i also listed them in price order too, so tell me what you think. thanks justin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i was thinking of including the 4pot sti, but there only the front and i cant get the front willwood/perrin or the baer's for cheaper. however i dont know what the DBA swap is for the front, unless you refering to WRX stock size rotors or h6s or something of that nature and well i dont think ill be doing to much that will require huge rotors, if i do then ill probably get the prodrives later. (not great stopping power but basically no fade), so keep your opinions coming!:)

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Remember, our cars stop pretty well... they just fell terrible and fade quickly. The WRX front rotors (stock size) are larger and thicker than ours, combined with a semi-metallic pad you should be all set. SS lines will help feel, but do very little (like inches) to help actually stopping distance. Several magazines have recently covered big brake kits and found relatively little improvement. Spend the $$ on the basics, save the rest for power, suspension, maintenance.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I saw in some magazine where they did a big brake test as well as just a pad test on a WRX. For racing the big brake slotted rotors stopped better after being used extremely hard. But for normal street use they were no better than a good pad and stock rotors. Well maybe they stopped a foot or two shorter but that was it.

After reading the article, I decided that since I don't auto-x or anything like that, a good pad and WRX rotors on my 1999 2.5RS was the way to go. Got the rotors on it but can't find the damn article again for the pad type.

If you race a lot I say go with the big brake kit. If not racey then stick with the WRX rotor upgrade and get a good set of pads.

·
Registered
GC8F2DD
409 Posts
This is my setup

Here is my setup

Front

WRX rotors
Porterfield pads
Goodridge brakelines

Reare

goodridge lines

motul brake fluid

Honestly....i don't think 4 pot is necessity... pads and rotor chane will make you smile

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Psaeko, your setup sounds darn near perfect. The only real upgrade would be the Turbo Legacy vented rears/upgraded pads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys that help out a lot, any chance you guys could help me find a place that would sell slotted(without cross-drilled, since i live in WA) WRX size rotors? and those turbo legacy ones for the rear? thanks justin

·
Registered
GC8F2DD
409 Posts
I would

I would get the rears...i haven't found any junked turbo legacys
to swap the rear, although i can buy parts to put em in. I just think its not worth the effort and $$ at this point.

Surely four pots are great but I'd rather pay more and get something like Stoptech or prodrive if i were to pay such price

Something i found out recently but I found out that local rally shop uses stock RS brakes on their rally car...the reason was that they only need to weight transfer during rally, not a completely monster stop. Our car stops extremely well compared to other cars in our class. I had to slam brakes completely many times with my stock and it really saved my ass. Our brakes just dont' feel right. Surely brake booster helps but it too $$$.... brakelines should be good enough.

Justin if you gonna swap to WRX rotors you need to buy brackets to match the rotors as well. If some1z selling their WRX brakes for cheap go for it cuz the brackets will cost you about $53 each ( you need two )

goto http://www.ravensblade-impreza.com/index1.html
his site has all the data base including part #s

The cheapest place to buy WRX brake mods are

www.subaruparts.com <-- brakets should cost about $115
after shipping
You could pretty much get any
parts with part# here. Most
reliable source i think.
www.subaruwrxparts.com <-- they have goodridge for $98 and
even after shipping is like $105
http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/subaru_corner.html <--
They have porterfield for $129
pricey but good stuff nonetheless

Motul brake fluid should cost about $10 a bottle

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Weird, I posted yesterday (I thought) on this...

Anyway, my setup was $174 shipped from Octagon Spares. The rotors/brackets are used but in great shape (off a wrecked WRX). The brake down (<--- no pun intended) is as folows:

Rotors: $50 ea X 2
Brackets: $25 ea X 2
Shipping: $24 from PA to TX

Not a bad price, about 1/2 retail for new parts.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
stock RS brakes on their rally car
what class?

but the stock system is quite good. i just have EBC reds on the fronts and ATE DOT4, and the car stops quite well and is resistant to fade, not that it wasn't stock. with R-compounds, i can kick on the abs no problem if i blow my line.

·
at apex, on throttle
'99 RS, '02 Legacy, '10 'beca
1,184 Posts
Brake lines, better brake pads, & better brake fluid will make a world of difference. There is no need to spend that kind of money on brakes unless you've got money to burn. The 2002 WRX size increase upgrade is a good choice as well.

Thanks - Jon

·
Registered
508 Posts
This is what I bought for my car:
All bought from www.PDM-racing.com

KVR's Pads and Cross Drilled Rotors
This is for front and rears total just pads and rotors

Fronts $160
Rears $140

Front Pads $42
Rear Pads $30* they say the 00 and 01 are diffrent but from my knowledge they aren't but still I didn't buy them yet.

For $372 that's not a bad buy shipping is $35.95 from BC to PA I think that's the a pretty good freight

They do also sell Motul Brake fluid for $7 a bottle and they say you'll need 2 with alot to spare. So a grand total of $421.95.
This will fit the 16" and you'll have tons of brake'n power and tons of money to spend somewhere else.

Rudy

·
Registered
MY00 2.5RS(RIP)02WRXWagon
86 Posts
I concur on the suggestion of:

1. WRX size rotors/bracket up front

2. Goodridge SS lines

3. Better Fluid (Motul, ATE, etc. either is fine, really. I doubt you'll push the car enough to tell the difference, if any)

4. Better pads (Hawk, Porterfield, etc.) NAISOC :p has huge threads on pad upgrades.

5. Also think about the H6 rear rotor/bracket upgrade. larger solid rotor than stock.

Best selection of WRX size aftermarket rotors are from DBA. they have drilled, slotted, drilled and slotted and plain:

http://www.dba.com.au/WRX/index.asp

All these suggestions will fit the stock RS wheel, 16 x 7". Brake feel will be most improved by the pads and SS lines. Stopping distance will be improved by the better pads and a bit by the mechanical advantage of the larger rotor. Fluid, Pads and larger rotor help with fading. Unless you are doing some serious track work, this is a great set up for street and canyon carving.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just read both of those mods at the Ravensblade site and that is very impressive. I'll definately be upgrading to WRX front rotors and Turbo Legacy rear rotors the next time my brakes need replacing.

I haven't done my own brake work in about 8 years so this should prove to be interesting. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts