Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,316 Posts
@flyboy, why would you want to spend almost $400 for something way more than you need instead of paying $140 + shipping for something that works for the hp range you are trying to push? I have delta 2k in my engine and 06 AVCS springs and have no worries hitting 7k rpm. I have noticed no issues with them either.

No no, I dont like paying more than needed. Just wanted to know for sure the OEMs were a solid install for my application.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shims and retainers

Many thanks for these useful information about this upgrade. In order to save some bucks I want to order the springs only. Are the shims and retainers wear items like the springs or can I use my old ones(117k) with new springs?
Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I am here to help......when I'm here, anyway!:rotflmao:

All other components to the valve spring assembly are the same part numbers as an EJ251, so you don't have to replace the retainers or keepers. It is a good practice to use new stuff though. I would carefully inspect each retainer and keeper for cracks before reinstalling them.
Many thanks for these useful information about this upgrade. In order to save some bucks I want to order the springs only. Are the shims and retainers wear items like the springs or can I use my old ones(117k) with new springs?
Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
98,01 Subaru Forester S MT5
12 Posts
I believe it was Rokkit's pictures that sparked the curiosity in me actually...... There are pics floating around on the site of AVCS heads that have springs marked with white paint instead of the green in normal SOHC heads. I looked up the specs and the installed height is the same, as well as the full lift height. The retainers carry the same part number, so the diameters (I am assuming) must be the same too.

If they're taller in free height, the extra pressure will come from that as the rate goes up as any spring is compressed (in linear or progressive fashion, depending on the spacing between coils and wire diameter). This is basically the same situation as I ran into when fitting STi valve springs (and retainers) into EJ25D heads. That experiment worked like a champ, so I expect this experiment to produce similar results.

When the springs get to me, I'll post pics of them side by side, perhaps both loaded up on a spring checker for comparison sake, and add the critical detail not listed in the FSM.......COILBIND height. Stay tuned for more info as I develop it! And please.....feel free to contribute if you have AVCS springs available now to do some measuring!
Hey! I'm just doing my 98 EJ25D Motor N/A with Delta 264 Grind, Can i use the Sti valve springs & retainers and collets with my EJ25D valves if so what year or part # do i need ?? Thanks for info.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,312 Posts
Bump because my heads are getting close to done. So far:

-ej20k heads cnc'ed to 257 chamber
-valve/seat job done
-crower bc0600 springs with retainers for shim over or solid (I'm doing solid)
-usdm wrx lower spring locators, bc0600 didn't fit inside of ej20k locators
-supertech ej25 n/a valves, same length as originals

I'm currently dealing with measuring to install solid buckets, but my reason for this bump is to find out if there is an aftermarket set of spring lower shims I should use to make sure the seat pressure is still good. I got all seats done / valve job so that may lower seat pressure some, in addition to using the bc0600 springs which are designed for the usdm wrx and may have to be compressed further if the sti valves have the collet slots lower. Bump for some advice .................. :)

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,312 Posts
Wow, I should have gotten better advice. This is really becoming wasteful.

The bc's are rated at 60lbs at 1.42" height, currently mine are at 1.65" which is almost 6mm difference in height and will drop my seat pressure. Weird thing is the original sti springs from these ej20k heads are the same uninstalled height as the crower springs. The ej20k springs from a set of parts I bought a while back were substantially taller. This makes me think the shorter sti springs would probably have a higher seat pressure since I'm using the same length valves with keeper notches in the same place. This is of course unless the crower ti retainers are allowing the spring to sit higher than the oem retainers. Wow, this is taking way too much time. :lol:

Edit for some info sharing:

Measured some buckets today, the solid reference ones came in.

Solid 33mm bucket: 30 grams
Shim under bucket: 35.3 grams
Shim over bucket: 46.3 grams

So a decent savings from the solid to the shim over, but only a few grams savings over the shim under. Either way, I'm running the solids now so all 16 buckets will add up. Also measured one head tonight and will do the other soon.

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
154 Posts
Man oh man, Id like to thank Storm and the rest of the guys for posting all this wonderful info! I'm doing a delta cam upgrade on my 2010 impreza 2.5i and all this stuff is really making my life easier. Going to do a SMT8 piggy back for the engine managment.

Keep up the good work guys

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,312 Posts
I've been seeing the JUN valvesprings on fleabay for a while, but there was never any relevant information as to which heads they were for. Someone else also mentioned they had contacted JUN as well about them fitting. That's good to know.

If I were upgrading the valvesprings I'd also go the rest of the way and get the retainers in titanium and eliminate the shims and just use solid buckets, to not have to worry about losing shims at higher rpm.

Oh wait :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
For those that wanna drop about $125-$150 on a EJ25 SOHC spring kit...here you go:
Supertech 9.5mm Subaru Spring Shims $48
Brian Crower STI Single Spring Kit $75-$95
EJ257 or EJ205 Retainers

Measured with 9.5mm spring seat under spring:
1.772" Installed Ht. @ 70 lbs
1.357" On the nose of a big cam (.415")@ 185 lbs
Coil Bind @ 1.207, which means .565" valve lift @ coil bind.
I just noticed this post buried in this. I am surprised nobody mentions this option more often.

If I am following correctly it's basically a spring seat from Supertech combined with Brian Crower springs and Stock retainers.

Crower springs: BrianCrower.com | RunBC.com // Subaru / EJ257
9.5mm spring locator: Supertech Spring seat locator for SPR-TS1015 / Subaru SOHC EJ25/ 9.5 mm

Stock retainer, or presumably you could use the retainer that comes with the Crower kit???

Total is around $200-$230 with steel retainers. Will this work?

·
Registered
113 Posts
For those that wanna drop about $125-$150 on a EJ25 SOHC spring kit...here you go:
Supertech 9.5mm Subaru Spring Shims $48
Brian Crower STI Single Spring Kit $75-$95
EJ257 or EJ205 Retainers

Measured with 9.5mm spring seat under spring:
1.772" Installed Ht. @ 70 lbs
1.357" On the nose of a big cam (.415")@ 185 lbs
Coil Bind @ 1.207, which means .565" valve lift @ coil bind.
So I bought these BC Springs, but now I am second guessing.

Is there any concern that the BC springs do not have a "lip" to sit on on the superrtech spacer?

Note that in the middle, it's a double spring, so that the inner spring "just" fits around the little lip on the spacer.
The Right (BC single spring) is not flush with the lip on the spacer. Any chance of this moving?

(This is not my picture so no I don't have all of these parts.. otherwise I'd just use the Supertech kit...). I got the BC kit for $112 with steel retainers, so it was a pretty good deal, but if it doesn't work right, I'd rather not risk it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Spoke with someone else on NA/T forums who seems to have no problem with this setup, so I am going to roll with it.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts