Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
So after reading all of this very good info its safe to say that adding the AVCS springs to a Delta 2000 grind is a good idea?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
So after reading all of this very good info its safe to say that adding the AVCS springs to a Delta 2000 grind is a good idea?
Yes, I wouldn't hesitate to do this again. Actually, I will be doing it again for the backup motor, probably over the winter.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,029 Posts
Thats what i have, 257 springs/retainers. The cams have an 11mm lift, quite a bit more than 257s, i always look for an oem solution before going aftermarket though.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I believe so. I have looked at the FSM for the 06+ EJ25's and the valvetrain is largely similar. The AVLS cams still use roller rockers.
that is fantastic, great discovery - thanks for sharing

do all SOHC EJs use the roller rockers/tappet lifters?

·
Registered
05 STi WannaBE
6,055 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how many of each part # do I order? Are the intake springs the same as the exhaust?

avcs springs: 13217AA390
retainers : 13209AA180
keepers: 13210AA020

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Will aftermarket (supertech, or other brand) Titanium Retainers work with these springs?

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I don't know, since Supertech retainers are sized for their springs. It would have to be researched. I know what happens when the retainer isn't correct for a given spring. major harmonic resonation.

·
Registered
1999, 2.5 RSTi, RBP
2,239 Posts
Damn I just put together my Delta 2000 grind heads on my engine. I could have went and did the springs as well. I have a Link EMU that I was going to try out to see if I can get a few more revs and power out of this slight N/A build. Next time I bring this motor out for service I will look into these springs.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Just out of curiosity, how many of each part # do I order? Are the intake springs the same as the exhaust?

avcs springs: 13217AA390
retainers : 13209AA180
keepers: 13210AA020
16 springs (IN and EXH are the same) White painted end faces up.
16 retainers
32 keepers

Damn I just put together my Delta 2000 grind heads on my engine. I could have went and did the springs as well. I have a Link EMU that I was going to try out to see if I can get a few more revs and power out of this slight N/A build. Next time I bring this motor out for service I will look into these springs.
Bummer.....If you're not running the limiter much higher than stock, you'll be okay with stock springs, but note that springs are WEAR ITEMS, so you'll want to replace them with fresh ones at some point anyway. Might as well get a little more peace of mind for the same money as stock replacements.

·
Registered
1996 imp jdm ej20 NA dohc swap
400 Posts
This is very interesting Storm. I'll be sharing this with a couple of friends for sure! The motor in my car has just a bit over 190k on it so the stock springs are probably not as good as they should be...lol.

·
Registered
2002 2.5RS Black as Midnight!
64 Posts
Wow, I will be installing my delta 1500's soon. Thought about upgrading the springs and retainers but his sounds like the perfect setup.. Now I won't be scared to go to 6900 rpm that the crawford ecu will allow me to go to.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
These would be perfect for that, DDMan.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,316 Posts
16 springs (IN and EXH are the same) White painted end faces up.
16 retainers
32 keepers

Bummer.....If you're not running the limiter much higher than stock, you'll be okay with stock springs, but note that springs are WEAR ITEMS, so you'll want to replace them with fresh ones at some point anyway. Might as well get a little more peace of mind for the same money as stock replacements.
Supertech advertizes a Srping and reatiner kit for the EJ25 SOHC. They get that by adding a spacer for the extra height?
Here is the add I found today.

Supertech Valve Springs Retainers Subaru EJ25 Non Turbo | eBay

I'm rebuilding my Heads (EJ253) L25s and want to throw Delta 2000s in them.
Would the OEM spring numbers above be better a safer bet?

·
We ain't found shit!
'05 2.5RS, Blue
427 Posts
@flyboy, why would you want to spend almost $400 for something way more than you need instead of paying $140 + shipping for something that works for the hp range you are trying to push? I have delta 2k in my engine and 06 AVCS springs and have no worries hitting 7k rpm. I have noticed no issues with them either.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,312 Posts
Maybe for the lightweight retainers or because supertech is stating it is designed for his application? He is swapping in higher performing cams after all, and the light weight retainers will help squeeze a little more hp out of the setup.

@flyboy, why would you want to spend almost $400 for something way more than you need instead of paying $140 + shipping for something that works for the hp range you are trying to push? I have delta 2k in my engine and 06 AVCS springs and have no worries hitting 7k rpm. I have noticed no issues with them either.

·
We ain't found shit!
'05 2.5RS, Blue
427 Posts
@2slo4u, Right, tracking on upgrading cams... Many have upgraded, but unless you are dropping in 12:1 CR pistons, PnP heads intake and tb, and trying to build the 300HP machine, the difference in weight won't even be close to being worth an addition $250. If you are looking for small increases, look at getting STi head gaskets for $38 ea and bumping the CR up slightly. That would probably give you more HP than the lightweight retainers.

In my opinion, it is a waste of money to spend that much on something you don't NEED. If you've read this thread, the springs have been tested and measured by STORM and have been installed in multiple delta 2k applications with no reports of failure. Trust me, if they fail, I will be the one they fail on and will promptly let everyone know.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts