Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have the springs now....but my spring checker is MIA....someone borrowed it and hasn't gotten back to me yet. [sigh]

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,312 Posts
Any recommendations on slightly stiffer valve springs for older ej20k heads? Are they the same design? I want to avoid valve float but not kill the cams or rob much hp.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If they use the same springs as the other shim over bucket DOHC heads, EJ257 springs work with the EJ257 retainers. I had them in a set of 98RS heads.

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Any update on this Storm?

Curious as I will be going through a set of heads over the winter / spring for stageII of ghetto boost.

Are there any upgraded retainers available for use with these V-springs?

·
Registered
Yes
396 Posts
Any recommendations on slightly stiffer valve springs for older ej20k heads? Are they the same design? I want to avoid valve float but not kill the cams or rob much hp.
Shim under bucket EJ20K heads install higher than EJ257 or EJ20G.

·
Registered
Yes
396 Posts
For those that wanna drop about $125-$150 on a EJ25 SOHC spring kit...here you go:
Supertech 9.5mm Subaru Spring Shims $48
Brian Crower STI Single Spring Kit $75-$95
EJ257 or EJ205 Retainers

Measured with 9.5mm spring seat under spring:
1.772" Installed Ht. @ 70 lbs
1.357" On the nose of a big cam (.415")@ 185 lbs
Coil Bind @ 1.207, which means .565" valve lift @ coil bind.

·
Registered
Yes
396 Posts
Jay-
If you need more spring measurements send me a spring and I'll put it in the Rimac.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Right next to your membership..... lol.....

I'm still waiting on the springs to get to me. As soon as I get them, I will measure free length, coilbind and confirm pressures at those 2 points.

The motor as a whole, needs to be completed ASAP, so I can get on the dyno before a major event on the 4th of july weekend......
Just throwing this out there but, from my set of this part number... they have the same number of winds as the old springs, same wire diameter, about the same free length, and seem to weigh the same. Not sure where the extra rate is coming from.

Buuuuuut hey, I ordered them anyway, so chucked 'em in. :D

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just throwing this out there but, from my set of this part number... they have the same number of winds as the old springs, same wire diameter, about the same free length, and seem to weigh the same. Not sure where the extra rate is coming from.

Buuuuuut hey, I ordered them anyway, so chucked 'em in. :D
The extra rate looks to be coming from that extra free length. It's just a small amount taller, but it doesn't take much to make the seat pressures go up.

Joe, if I didn't have an event coming up next weekend, I'd consider sending both samples to you for testing. I will order another set for the backup motor anyway, so I'll contact you when I get to that point.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
2004 2.5RS Silver
34 Posts
Yes, those are the ones. They drop right in, but I suggest replacing the retainers and keepers as well.
Have you successfully used these in a SOHC head? And what were the results of the coilbind check? I don't want to be a guinea pig :noes:

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I'm running them now on my motor. Along with Delta 3000 grind cams. You will not run into coilbind.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,029 Posts
How would these stack up against STI springs in a DOHC ej20? I have a wrx set and an sti set, but im still unsure what to run with my cams, there from an RB320 which is a slight bit more radical than the usdm sti cams.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
They wouldn't....as SOHC and DOHC springs are vastly different, in both length and diameter.

That being said, I ran EJ257 springs in a set of EJ25D heads with no issues. Pretty much the same type of upgrade compared to these SOHC springs. I'd look at that for your build if you arn't planning on revving past 7k.

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,312 Posts
My ej20k revs past 7k with original springs so I guess 257 springs wouldn't be an upgrade? I'm thinking of finding an oem upgrade as well, I'd rather go that route than risk quality issues with aftermarket. Time to go a searchin'

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
EJ257 revs past 7000 as well. I just tossed out a conservative figure.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts