Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo after I bought my car i was exploring under the dash and realized that there were two or three wires that had been disconnected near the ECU. I thought it was kind of strange, but the only electrical things not working on the car were my map lights. Later, when I reset my ECU, it seemed as if my alarm was going off (flashing lights) but there was no noise - I figured that was why the previous owner disconnected the wires. Last night I decided to connect one of the wires to see if it fixed my map lights, it didn't, but I didn't unplug it. Well this morning when I started my car I had a flashing CEL! I recalled that the only change I made to the car was connecting the one wire, so I turned off the car, disconnected the wire again, and started the car. Flashing CEL gone! This kind of worries me, like the seller was trying to hide something, but I haven't had any issues with misfires, etc. that I can tell. Any ideas?

note: the wire I connected is two green connectors that go into each other under the dash on to the left of the steering wheel

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
Unplug the green connectors. They put the car into diagnostic mode.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thats how i got rid of the CEL ... is there always a flashing CEL when the car is in diagnostic mode, or does that mean its picking up something bad?

·
Premium Member
12,694 Posts
If you have a flashing CEL without those plugged in then you need to check the reader in your car. Those shouldn't be plugged in at all.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah its just with them plugged in ... great thanks for the info

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS Coupe
43 Posts
Same, thanks for the info. I thought the wires were disconnected on my '01 2.5 for a shady reason and then I saw a BLINKING CEL and thought, crap what did I do. Disconnecting tomorrow!

·
I Miss My OBS..
07 Legacy Spec.b
981 Posts
Pheww!

After just a little searching, I realize I'm not the only one. Just bought my 99 OBS, and noticed the little green devils. Hmm, better plug those back in! WTF!?! Read the codes (131, 132, 420, 500, 1100, 1121). Shat myself. Cleaned up and hit RS25! Now I just have to find the alarm siren that is missing. Thinking someone set off the alarm, couldn't read the alarm manual in the glove box and just removed the siren...humans rock!:D

·
peon
shitty shitty bang bang
2,583 Posts
I think everyone has plugged them together at some point in time. It's either that or not being able to turn off your parking lights.

·
Registered
fast wagon, toyota 4x4
1,206 Posts
i definetly did the green plug thing when i first bought my car, then raced on over to rs25 and found out i shoudnt have done that.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im glad people have my panic attack as a reference now :lol:

·
Registered
92 Crown Vic
629 Posts
I think everyone has plugged them together at some point in time. It's either that or not being able to turn off your parking lights.
guilty. i have done both.
so that green plug isn't anthing? i can't believe that they did that:confused:, what is it really for?

james

1 - 12 of 12 Posts