Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1999 impreza RS, black
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the background story/ info to help narrow down the chances

This project began when 2nd gear blew out without warning pulling into my driveway (lucky*). I heard an unuasuals clanking and clattering which after a short test drive 2nd gear was stuck and making horrible noises. I fugured the transmission went of course and so i was able to source a ~96-98 L transmission and matching rear diff.

My car is a 99RS and therefore i had to swap the rear diff along with the transmission. After properly installing the "new" tranny *with a new throwout bearing of course* I started the car and everything sounded great. Until i let out the clutch.. In neutral with the clutch let out there was this pretty nasting grinding noise. sounded like a friction grind. and in every gear on a very short test drive the snoise continued. Halfway through the very short test drive we had smoke coming from the bellhousing area. :(

This set up was with the old clutch and flywheel (both in good shape still) and also using the RS's hydralic clutch. after racking my brain and asking many others we decided that it must have something to do with stwiching from a cable clutch to the hydralic clutch. and possibly the clutch being for the old transmission. Fair enough, that sounds like a logical problem.

I was able to source a 13.5lb flywheel and a 6puck clutch along with an entire cable clutch assembly from a friend. all coming from another L tranny. During this time i also traded my NA 2.5 block for a 03 wrx block with only 36k, score! My car has been running a vf-11 on low boost for the past 3 years and so the block was a great building block for more power later on.

Pull the engine, bring it to a friend and he swaps the blocks and all necessary parts. Bring the engine back with new gaskets and install it, no problem. Goes in everything lines up and plugs in like it should. go through the ritual of getting it ready to run. 1st crank she starts right up! this is great i'm thinking. then low and behold.. let the clutch out and ive got that god damn grinding noise again! very light this time but that was because the cable for the clutch wasnt adjusted. So we adjust the cable multiple times trying to lose that quiet but problematic noise, and after an hour or so of messing with it and no luck i am completely stumped and have no clue as to what is happening. :confused:

* never made this noise before
new throwout bearing
did it with both the old clutch/flywheel and the new one
did it with both the hydralic & cable clutch set ups..
everything has been installed properly to the best of both my knowledge and that of my friends, all of whom have done at least one or more subaru swaps..

If anyone has any information on this i would greatly appreciate the help!

Thanks

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
Well if it still is a new clutch, it will make noise for a little while as you are engaging. Longer if it's a higher performance clutch. Can you take a video of the sound?

·
Registered
1999 impreza RS, black
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The flywheel and clutch are relatively new* they were used for a few thousand miles. and the old clutch/flywheel were left untouched on the first round. I'll try to make a video of it later tonight when i get home, neighbors arent going to enjoy the rumble, oh well ;)

·
Premium Member
00 RS, 14 Forester, 92 SVX
1,577 Posts
If it is only while in gear, I'd suspect the front needle bearing on the main shaft- could be one of the ones further back too I suppose. PITA to replace at this point with the tranny in the car though it's a only like a $25 part.

·
Registered
1999 impreza RS, black
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it does it in all gears and in neutral. only when the clutch is not engaged or the pedal isn't pressed in, whichever of those is the proper explaination* haha

I'm not very familiar with any of those bearings. would they still be involved or in motion with the car in nuetral?

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
When the pedal is not pressed, the clutch is engaged. So what this is looking like is something on the input shaft (be it the T/O bearing, clutch, or any of the input shaft bearings) is bad.

·
Registered
1999 impreza RS, black
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
meaning no matter what i'll be pulling again.. awesome! haha

okay well the T/O bearing is brand new, and i've had this problem with two different clutch setups, both of which were perfectly fine on their previous transmissions. so basically i need to pull it again and replace the front needle bearing, and which others? i'm pretty new to the pieces and bearings of a transmission :stupid:

·
Registered
1999 impreza RS, black
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Official findings to answer my problem:

It was the needle bearing, the bellhousing that holds the bearing has metal chunks missing which now proves that the transmission is garbage.. If anyone in the WA area has a 5spd that ISNT blown i may be interested. i've got a 4.11 and a 3.90 rear diff so i'll be in the market for either at this point..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.