Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been searching for an answer for this for quite sometime. I've replaced many things, including the transmission, looking to remove this noise. As far as I know, its nothing that is causing damage... but its annoying!

The car made the noise when I purchased it. Its a slight grinding noise that gets faster with RPMS... but it only does it in gear, while coasting. As soon as I push in the clutch or press the gas or even take it out of gear - it goes away.

I've got a brand new clutch in it, a used tranny that was fine when taken out and I still can't locate the sound. It sounds comes in through the shifter.

What could it be?

(Recent Maintenance Done: New timing belt/timing belt tensioner, waterpump, coilpack, spark plug wires, spark plugs, new belts, changed all fluids, new shift bushings (kartboy front and rear).)

(Mods: Lightweight flywheel, borla headers, stromung catback, snorkus removal lol, a few suspension mods)

· Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
480 Posts
I think it has to be a vibration thing (like a heat shield) simply because it doesn't seem to matter what parts are spinning, considering the results of pushing in the clutch or hitting the gas again.

Often when people ride in my car for the first time and they hear my heat shield vibrate, they think I'm grinding gears (I get the noise a few ways).

· Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd be all over vibrations, but wouldn't it do it while in neutral while revving?

Updated first post: I have brand new front and rear kartboy shifter bushings.

so it does it while downshifting?
Well, it does it in all gears. I probably sound stupid, but does the flywheel have a bushing on it?

· Super Moderator
2000 Slingshot RS-T (Sold)
3,488 Posts
I'd be all over vibrations, but wouldn't it do it while in neutral while revving?

Updated first post: I have brand new front and rear kartboy shifter bushings.

Well, it does it in all gears. I probably sound stupid, but does the flywheel have a bushing on it?
No. Just the pilot bearing.

· needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
12,639 Posts
Could be the rear end or driveshaft. Maybe even an exhaust component touching the body. Pushing the clutch in or giving gas can shift the entire exhaust a little. I would say the pilot bearing since mine makes a grinding sound, but if it changes with load that wouldn't be it....

· Registered
99 Aspen White Coupe
480 Posts
No, because that bearing isn't spinning if the clutch is engaged. I'd at least look under the car for a loose heat shield, it's a super simple fix if it is, and my experience has shown that they can make some funky noises.

I'd also think about one of the joints in the driveshaft, or even a CV. When the direction of the torque changes it could make a difference.

· Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I had the car up on jack stands and I touched everything underneath the bottom of the car. Nothing seemed loose. I pretty much pulled on everything.

However, on the driveshaft, right before it goes into the rear diff, the little 4-way joint looking thing looked like it was leaking oil. Doubt that has to be making teh noise, but never know.

I also want to point out that if the noise is sounding, if I go over a crest or something and the car lifts up a little, the noise goes away.

If tried to wiggle the tires and everything, but could it be a wheel bearing?

· Mobile Diagnosis Guy
97 Impreza L
5,319 Posts
your car is lowered i assume? check your drivers side rear axle for contact with your exhaust. Your issue sounds like a dead on interference grinding due to the car being "loaded". When the car is loaded, it squats and something that rotates is interfering with a "sprung" part. Things that are sprung are things that move with the body of the car. Exhaust etc.

My brullen catback used to have this problem, VERY similar to a stromung design

· Registered
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nah, stock height. I thought about it rubbing. It sounds like metal-on-metal grinding.

your car is lowered i assume? check your drivers side rear axle for contact with your exhaust. Your issue sounds like a dead on interference grinding due to the car being "loaded". When the car is loaded, it squats and something that rotates is interfering with a "sprung" part. Things that are sprung are things that move with the body of the car. Exhaust etc.

My brullen catback used to have this problem, VERY similar to a stromung design

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.