Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
98 Impreza Rs Black
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys as you all kno im new here .. i would like to be on more often but my phone wont let me log in so i check all the replies i get through e-mail

anywho i just got my 98 RS road worthy last night and while bleeding the clutch i found out i have a factory sub/amp under my seat! now the thing is i bought the car with a JVC headunit in it and there is nothing coming out of the sub... iv never owned a car with a factory sub so i have no idea on what to start looking into first

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ... like i said i wont be able to log in on my phone but i can still read the replys thanks again

·
Registered
'99 RS
425 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The factory sub/amp has a harness plugged into it coming from under the center console or out of the carpet under the seat, IIRC. There is some info on the underseat sub/amp on this forum but I've found a lot more info using google as far as specs go. What exactly are you looking for?

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
599 Posts
The sub is wired in as a plug and play (or should be). It connects in-between the main harness and the radio harness. If you pop out the back of the player, it should be

radio harness -> factory car harness adapter -> factory sub in (female) -> factory sub out (male) -> Main harness

Effectively the sub harness is only drawing on power, remote, ground, and rear left and rear right speaker inputs. The sub's amp works as a high -> low converter.

If it's non functional it may be due to a couple of things:
1. The volume (or gain) is turned down all the way (on sub)
2. It's not wired in behind the radio
3. The speaker is blown from previous owner
4. Amp is blown inside the underseat sub
5. A wire is cut, crimped, unplugged, or de-pinned
6. I seem to remember a fuse on the sub, check to make sure it's not popped

An experienced mechanic should be able to tear it all out in ~30 minutes. Bear in mind that these subs are really only good for mid bass (think kick drum in a rock band) and will absolutely suck and blow out if you listen to electronic music (dub step, dark psy, etc.)

-TC

1 - 3 of 3 Posts