Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Uh, Oh

835 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  BoulderSuby 
#1 ·
I just got the dreaded CE light on my way home tonight. I brought my car in a few days ago to the dealership because of some rattling underneath. They ended up having to remove the cam belt "for repair". Could they have screwed the timing up? It's been REALLY cold the last few days here too (5-20 degrees), could that have an effect as well? I'm calling the dealer tomorrow, but I'd love to hear suggestions.

#4 ·
CRAP!!!!

I don't think it's a loose gas cap anymore. The whole car shakes when I hit 45 mph. Here's the story. CE light comes on last night. I checked the gas cap this morning which might have been loose. Driving later today on my lunch break (to pick up my new ver 6 wing:biggest: ) I noticed it was a little jittery, but I passed it off as icy and bumpy roads. Not 5 minutes into my drive home tonight, it starts shaking pretty bad. To be sure the dealership tightened the lugs on, I checked 'em and they're ok. Still shaking, pulled over again and knocked off all the road ice that built up over the last few days from the wheel well to be sure. That "seemed" to help, but not really. As long as I kept the speed under 45 and kept the RPM's low (I don't know if the RPM's helped or not, but I wasn't taking chances) it was ok. On the home stretch I took it up again and it didn't start to really shake until about 55 although it did shake some at 45. Any thoughts? My scooby is sick for the first time!:whine: :whine: :whine:

#8 ·
It's definitely shaking. I thought about the O2 sensor as well...I do have a 2000, and that's the model year for bad sensors. Oh well, at least I was able to borrow my friend's Protege for tomorrow till I can get to the dealer. I looked at it with one of my friends tonight, but it's too damn cold to be out there for too long. It's right around 0 degrees right now. I'll post back on Monday when I take it in.

#10 ·
Any snow or ice on the insides of your rims? That will cause a high-speed shake like that...

Or, if someone does not like you and put water in your tires (through the air stem) and the water froze inside your tires, then you will also get a shake. Bizarre, but a proven revenge technique!

#12 ·
weeellll, now I'm thinking that it might be what mistaRS said. I drove my friend's Protege to work today and it did the EXACT same thing at about 65 mph. After the car sat in the sun, it might have loosened some of that crap out because it drove totally fine on the way back. I'm gonna try it tomorrow morning before I take it in. Hopefully I'll install my wing too and get some pics posted;)

#13 ·
Well, the CE light turned out to be the gas cap and the shaking was indeed ice built up deep in the wheel well. I got the wing on but it doesn't match very well. F***ing Maaco. It looked good in the shop and seemed to match well. What do you guys think? Keep it or sell it and write it off as a learning experience? I'll try and post pics soon. The server keeps telling me I have an invalid file type no matter what I use

#16 ·
BoulderSuby said:
Are some people allowed to upload? I thought I saw new pictures as late as last night:confused:
No, no one ( not even me! :D ) can upload. BUT, you can still link to an image that is hosted on another server, by using the vBulletin Image code button (says "IMG" on one of the buttons above the text area where you post text. So you can go like this:

[ IMG ] http://www.rs25.com/_Photos/DMSImages/P2160317.JPG [/IMG]

which comes out like this (if you leave the spaces out of the IMG tags!)

So for now, that works. :)

#18 ·
I'd like to see a picture of your v.6 wing.
I went ot a meet this weekend, and somebody
had a replica v.6. I was surprised because the angle
of the wing was really steep. I heard that the v.6 wing was
steeper than the v.5, but not that much steeper :confused:

#19 ·
It's pretty steep. It looks best when you look at it from an angle from in the front of the car. From the back I'll admit it looks a little, for lack of a better word, confusing. I think I'm gonna wax it tomorrow and see if the color looks a little deeper. Worth a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.