Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m new to the forums and wanted to share my completely refinished door cards. Idk if this has been done before but just wanted to show it’s possible to reuse these.
I referenced a couple threads here to reupholster the insert and armrest, then I figured out how to reupholster the entire top half myself. I used SEM interior paint and adhesion promoter for the bottom half. Some dress up bolts help hold the halves together because no commercial grade glues work well on PP plastic.
Anyways I hope someone finds this useful.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
420 Posts
Holy shit! Those look awesome...wanna do mine? 😁 Any way you could provide the links you used? Any before ir during pics that document the process? Nice work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy shit! Those look awesome...wanna do mine? 😁 Any way you could provide the links you used? Any before ir during pics that document the process? Nice work.
Thanks, I’ll see what pictures I can dig up and I’ll post those threads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So first you’ll want to start with this thread, it covers the arm rest. Also I used the same techniques shown there on the rest of the door card such as removing the plastic welds.

My door cards before

So after you remove the armrests you’ll want to separate the top and bottom half of the door. A Dremel with sanding wheel works well.

Once the bottom portion is separated you can start painting. Remember that this is made of polypropylene which means nothing wants to stick to it. I started by scuffing it up lightly then follow the directions on the paint. You’ll need the proper adhesion promoter for the plastic or it will not stick. Ask me how I know... here’s the paint I used

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next is the top half of the door card. Mine was an ugly brown that had been picked at and had the exposed foam showing. I went to my local fabric store and purchased black marine grade vinyl. To get the old vinyl off you’ll have to remove the small strip that rubs the window as it slides. To do this pry the small metal tabs so the stick straight out. There is one rivet that will need to be dremeled or drilled out.

The old vinyl comes off fairly easily. Leave the white foam underneath intact. Also at this time remove the insert fabric if you have not already. The way I started covering the piece was by sandwiching the new vinyl in between the metal tabbed piece just removed and the panel. Then I used 3m super 77 (be sure to let the pieces sit a few minutes before sticking together) and stretched the vinyl over the panel removing any slack. Peel and restick if needed. Don’t worry about covering the insert, it can be cut out later.

After using a utility knife to cut out the insert area. Leave enough extra fabric to tuck into the slot around the insert. It’s fairly deep so be sure to not cut off too much or it may leave exposed foam.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the insert there are two different methods. One requires cutting the insert portion out of the panel and reattaching it after applying the new fabric. I did not use this method because I did not want to weaken the panel. And because of the plastic type it’s hard to find a glue that works. 3m does make a glue but you need a special gun to apply it. And it would cost more than it’s worth. Here it is anyways.

Here’s what I did, but I also used super 77 on this. I’d recommend finding a fade resistant fabric. Mask off the areas you don’t want glue on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now to reassemble, I chose mechanical fasteners because they hold instantly, allow for future disassembly, and are probably the strongest option. I used these with washers on the backside.

I drilled right through where the old plastic welds were. Just drilling every other weld, the undrilled welds should snap back into their holes adding extra rigidity. You could also try using short screws and washers on the backside only to reattach the welds, but it wouldn’t have nearly as much strength.

I drilled just these 6 holes. Keep in mind you’ll have to shave a bit of material from your arm rest so that it sits flat over the last 2 bolts by the armrest. If you look closely you’ll notice it overlaps them just a bit.
One last thing, if your insert doesn’t turn out great and has gaps this may work to fill it in along with some e6000 glue. (I have not attempted this)

So that’s it just reinstall the same way they came off and enjoy. It’s a long process and isn’t extremely cheap, but if you’re a coupe owner like me getting black rs cards can be a challenge. I had nothing to lose but those ugly old cards anyways. I know I didn’t document the process that well, but I hadn’t planned on writing this all up. If you have any questions I’ll try to help.

It’s not finished lol. It was a gutted “rally car” when I bought it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts