Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, first post here.

I'm about to acquire my first subaru, a 2001 2.5 RS.

However, I'm also new to Import tuners. I've tuned a BMW and American Muscle before, but never this type of thing.

So I really need some help.

I have a budget of 5k for mods, and I dont want to do anything exterior. The car needs to be good in the winter, so no 500HP drag setups are necessary.

I don't know what company's make quality stuff for Suby's, so thats why I cam here to the experts.

What I wanted to do

Strut bars
Sway bars
Coilovers
Intake
Anti Lift kit
Grounding and Electrical optimization
Headers/Full TBE?
Quickshifter
Lightened Flywheel

So here's my issue, I dont know if that is

A) even worth doing to a RS

B) will give me the results I'm looking for in an overall better performance car

C) who makes the best of these for a RS.

I understand How annoying these posts are, I saw a lot of them on the camaro and BMW forums, but I'm truly lost right now, and any help getting me setup would be awesome of you.

Cheers,
Phill

Edit: Cliff Notes Version. I'm looking to turn the RS into a machine that handles on rails, is still fine during the winter, and has a little more power then stock, don't need 800HP, but a few extra wouldn't be unwanted.

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
Suspension is they way to go. Struts/springs can be had for <$550 Agx/P1 combo FTW.
You can get an OEM 20mm RSB cheap.
I just put the Perrin Anti-lift kit on my car. It is awesome. The Whiteline version is cheaper.
TBE? Is your car swapped? If not then getting some Borla knock off headers off of ebay and a CBE off of this site can be had at a good price. I have a Magnaflow and I love it.

Kartboy makes a Short Throw shifter for 120 shipped with bushings.

Hope this helps. Ask any other questions you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, this is my first try at mods.

Exedy Flywheel Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 97-01
Kartboy shifter
Greddy EVO2 Catback Exhaust Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 98-01
Perrin Anti-Lift kit
Zerosports V-Effector Voltage Stabilizer & V-Earthing Ground Kit Subaru Impreza GC8 93-01
Buddy Club Racing Spec Damper Kit Subaru Impreza 95-01
Cusco Front Sway Bar 21mm Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Turbo
Cusco Rear Sway Bar 19mm Subaru Impreza 2.5RS Turbo

Cusco Front OS Strut Bar Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Borla Header Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 97-01

I didnt know the RS was ever made in a Turbo form, or if thats what I bought, but Will these even fit?

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
Suspension is they way to go. Struts/springs can be had for <$550 Agx/P1 combo FTW.
You can get an OEM 20mm RSB cheap.
I just put the Perrin Anti-lift kit on my car. It is awesome. The Whiteline version is cheaper.
TBE? Is your car swapped? If not then getting some Borla knock off headers off of ebay and a CBE off of this site can be had at a good price. I have a Magnaflow and I love it.

Kartboy makes a Short Throw shifter for 120 shipped with bushings.

Hope this helps. Ask any other questions you have.
+1

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
Do not buy a Borla header. IIRC they are prone to cracking at the welds. The knock-off ones on eBay are built much stronger. The RSB will fit but it will be cheaper to get a 20mm one off of a WRX rather than pay for a Cusco. All RSBs are interchangeable from 93-07 (STi ones are a little different). Paranoid Fabrications makes a grounding kit. They are a vendor on this site. It is always good to help out a vendor! Dont waste money on a damper set. use that money towards good springs and struts. Trust me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so:

Exedy Flywheel Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 97-01
Kartboy shifter
Greddy EVO2 Catback Exhaust Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 98-01
Perrin Anti-Lift kit
Paranoid Fabrications Grounding Kit.
Coilovers of some kind.
Front and rear Sway bars From A WRX?
Cusco Front OS Strut Bar Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Ebay Knockoff Header Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 97-01

I dont like springs, Always Coilovers for me honestly, more expensive, but less risk of breakage.

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
Sounds good. +1 on the borla reps, I have em on my car and they sound so sexy!

·
Registered
2017 STi
9,572 Posts
I don't know if the fsb from a wrx would be worth it though because I am pretty sure it is a 20mm and the RS is 19mm so it wouldn't be that much of an upgrade. But, I my friend am still a noob also. The rest of your mod list sounds good though

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
Is your RS single port or dual port. Someone with an 01 RS chime in. I have an 01 OBS and it is single port. The eBay headers are dual port so if you have single port, you will have to get some custom fabbed.

The front sway off of a WRX will not fit on your car. It is shaped differently to fit the turbo cross member. The RSB will fit no problem. Consider putting a 25mm FSB off of the Tribeca on your car. I did and I couldnt be happier. I got it for 60 shipped. There is a great thread on here that will edjumicate you on the Tribeca FSB. It is worth it.

Can I ask why you want the hood dampers?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm afrain I'm not sure what hood damper your talking about? far as I can see I have no mods done to the hood..

do you mean the strut bars?

·
Katy Perry
2001 Outback Sport-Turbo
3,671 Posts
My appologies. I though the Buddy Club Racing Spec Damper Kit Subaru Impreza 95-01 was referring to hood dampers. My bad.

I dont know anything about these. Do you daily drive your RS? A spring/strut combo may be more suitable for you if you DD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem. You seem to have a good idea as to what you want to do with the car.
yeah, I have a BMW 335I right now, and its just a big tub of money currently. I'd like something I can drive all year round.

I also have a 07 Honda CBR 600 RR superbike, or I will in 2 weeks, so summer fun and crazy fast speeds are covered, so thats why Handling and mediocre power improvment is important to me.

·
Registered
05 rs 04 wrx 05 sti all black
1,929 Posts
If you still have the stock N/A engine, you don't want to use a turbo front sway bar, it will hit the headers. Make sure you buy a front sway bar designed for a N/A application.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts