Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so when I am just cruising around I hear a hum that sounds like it could be my u-joint...

- It is RPM dependent and doesn't change tone if I change gear...
- It is only when I am cruising - If I am hard on the gas its gone or if I am not on the gas at all its gone...
- It doesn't stop if I put it in neutral...

Anyone know what it is? It sounds like U-Joint to me but I am not sure...and if it is U-Joint anyone know where to get one besides the stealership? I can't find one at Autozone or Advance Auto Parts, or CAP, or NAPA...it worries me...Can I get one online somewhere?

Its more annoying than anything...I checked my rear end/tranny fluid and its neither of those...

-Matt

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was my first thought but wouldn't that be loud regardless of if I was hitting the gas or not?

I am gonna try to get a recording of it but it might not be easy to hear...Ill see what I can do though...

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it happens at ALL speed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7ToIw1ZoE4

you can hear it in the beginning of this video when im just cruising...and it actually gets louder when i floor it...its that whining you hear in the background...

EDIT - now that i listen to that i guess you can hear it when i floor it...i just hear the exhaust more when im driving...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bad u joints usually make a clunk when you take off from a stop not at cruise speeds. If you can get under the car and turn the drive shaft back and forth by hand look for slop while its in gear.

·
Banned
1,359 Posts
From what I've read, commonly U-joints make clicking and or popping noises when they go bad, especially when cornering at lower speeds.

I have a bad rear wheel bearing and it's noise is pretty constant, a low medium intensity rubbing noise that is always constant, in gear, or neutral - coasting. It seems to get less evident as it warms up, and at higher speeds isn't as loud when at lower speeds.

GL!

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
scoobysnack said:
I cant really tell from the video. Is it high or low pitched?
its the whining noise you hear...when i first hit the gas it seems to be loudest...

use headphones and you can hear it better...turn it up kinda loud too...

·
Premium Member
2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS/AW
479 Posts
my dad had dodge dakota that made a sound like that.the gear on the end of the drive shaft(?name?)was put on wrong in the factory so it wore down the teeth,didnt notice anything until about 50k and it started humming.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how much is this gear? do i need a whole new driveshaft?

·
Registered
01 Forester
5,169 Posts
impreza2002 said:
my dad had dodge dakota that made a sound like that.the gear on the end of the drive shaft(?name?)was put on wrong in the factory so it wore down the teeth,didnt notice anything until about 50k and it started humming.
That is probably not it. Jack the rear of your car up and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock and push and pull your hands in opposite directions. If there is play it is your wheel bearing.

·
Premium Member
2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS/AW
479 Posts
MattB said:
how much is this gear? do i need a whole new driveshaft?
i dont remember how much it was.no,they just replaced the gear.when he took it in to the shop the guy just took out the rear diff.fill plug and put his finger in and the gear oil had little sparkly pices of metal in it.

^^^this was one a pos dodge.subys are made better.id check this after you check everything they ^^^VVV said.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I have done wheel bearings before they aren't too bad...Just getting them pressed out is a bitch...but Ill check those first...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts