Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've now got the EJ22 and spare bits in my garage, waiting for the Brighton.

Two extra transmissions; TY752VA5AA and TY752VABBA

Should I even bother with them at all when I swap the EJ18 out??

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your question is kind of confusing. You are unsure whether or not to swap out of them in your car?
Yes, sorry.

What I'm wondering is if it's even worth my while to put either of the spares in, in place of the current tranny.

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
I'm curious as to why this transmission would be superior.
All SVX's came in 4eat. You have to convert it to manual yourself. Any impreza transmission should work. Not quite sure if you have to use the impreza drive shaft or the re-use the automatic svx one. Also all SVX's are not 50/50 all time AWD. They are 90%front and 10% rear they only become 50/50 once it detects slip. Only the JDM Alcyone SVX had 36% front and 64% rear.

One more thing to add. SVX 4eat transmissions tend to be very weak and go out. I doubt even regular transmission flushes will keep it lasting longer than they should.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I don't have my tranny chart handy.....what models end engine sizes did the spares come from? OBS boxes have slightly taller gearing for better fuel economy while Brighton boxes have RS gearing to help the EJ18 produce some sort of torque for accelleration.

What's your rear diff ratio? What about the spare boxes?

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
Automatic or manual? If it's manual, maybe throw one off a cliff in my direction. :D

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
I don't have my tranny chart handy.....what models end engine sizes did the spares come from? OBS boxes have slightly taller gearing for better fuel economy while Brighton boxes have RS gearing to help the EJ18 produce some sort of torque for accelleration.

What's your rear diff ratio? What about the spare boxes?
Hey Storm, are you sure about that? I've been hearing that for years, but according to this site, all 93-01 1.8 and 2.2 transmissions use the same gearing.
http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/lsd/lsd.html

I think it's the tire size that makes the difference in acceleration. The stock L sizes are overall quite a bit smaller than RS and WRX tires.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
So, I've now got the EJ22 and spare bits in my garage, waiting for the Brighton.

Two extra transmissions; TY752VA5AA and TY752VABBA

Should I even bother with them at all when I swap the EJ18 out??
SELL THEM! MONEY MONEY MONEY!

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I should say all this stems from once being told that the transmission in my car was one of its downfalls. Can anyone back that claim up? I couldn't get a straight answer, myself. And in any case, if one will prevail over another, why not swap it in..?

Here's the chart I was using.

Model Range Trans. Code 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Rev. T.R. F.D.

US Impreza EJ18E (AWD) MY96 TY752VT4AA 3.545 2.111 1.448 1.088 0.825 3.416 1.000 3.900

US Impreza EJ22E (AWD) MY96 TY752VABBA 3.545 1.947 1.366 0.972 0.780 3.330 1.000 3.900

US Impreza EJ22 (AWD) MY97-98 TY752VA5AA 3.545 1.947 1.366 0.972 0.780 3.333 1.000 3.900

And RS. 98's the same, just different trany code.. again, if the chart is correct.

US Impreza 2.5RS MY99-01 TY754VCAAB 3.545 2.111 1.448 1.088 0.780 3.333 1.000 4.111

As you can see, it's like apples and apples, provided this chart's correct. Only the slight differences as far as gearing is concerned (IMO, WTF do I know about tranny work?), and all the same final drives.

Again, I'm not looking for more work for myself or anyone else, but if either of the spares should be any mo' better for the car, it might as well be put in at the same time.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All SVX's came in 4eat. You have to convert it to manual yourself. Any impreza transmission should work. Not quite sure if you have to use the impreza drive shaft or the re-use the automatic svx one. Also all SVX's are not 50/50 all time AWD. They are 90%front and 10% rear they only become 50/50 once it detects slip. Only the JDM Alcyone SVX had 36% front and 64% rear.

One more thing to add. SVX 4eat transmissions tend to be very weak and go out. I doubt even regular transmission flushes will keep it lasting longer than they should.

Yeah, all that.

I was going to be as short as "All SVX were 4EAT and the trannies sucked." :D

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I'm sure about it. I'm talking about individual gear ratios, specifically 2/3/4 and 5. They are different between the EJ18 and EJ22 application.
Hey Storm, are you sure about that? I've been hearing that for years, but according to this site, all 93-01 1.8 and 2.2 transmissions use the same gearing.
http://wac.addr.com/auto/obs/lsd/lsd.html

I think it's the tire size that makes the difference in acceleration. The stock L sizes are overall quite a bit smaller than RS and WRX tires.

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts
I'm sure about it. I'm talking about individual gear ratios, specifically 2/3/4 and 5. They are different between the EJ18 and EJ22 application.
Ok. I've seem it mentioned before, but no one seemed too sure about it. Are the ratios listed anywhere?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts