Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BRP
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k first off, what gaskets are best for the borla replicas. so far ive seen the oem, the remflex and then someone told me I could get them at a dealership. would dealership ones be ok? that way i don't have to pay shipping(?) etc... or are they crappier quality...

second, is there anything I can do to my stock muffler to make it throatier? I don't have the money for a new axleback yet but I'll be getting my borla reps tomorrow I believe. Want at least some sound change... haha.

anyhow, any hints/ideas/advice is appreciated
thanks!
-Tim

·
Registered
MY02 White TS
299 Posts
When I got my ebay borla, it came with a bunch of gaskets and bolts. So you should be OK there.

I don't know about the second question.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I got my ebay borla, it came with a bunch of gaskets and bolts. So you should be OK there.

I don't know about the second question.

everything i've read said the gaskets that came with it were POS....
guess i could try em first...

·
Registered
2015 WRX+TE37ta
4,819 Posts
Just get OEM gaskets. The rimflex gaskets are only advantageous if your flanges are warped.

As for the muffler. No real dice there. You can do ghetto mods by removing baffling or drilling holes, but then it actually just sounds worse.

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
As my Sticky states, please post tech questions in the tech forum. Since I assume this is for an N/A car, that's where this thread is going.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just get OEM gaskets. The rimflex gaskets are only advantageous if your flanges are warped.

As for the muffler. No real dice there. You can do ghetto mods by removing baffling or drilling holes, but then it actually just sounds worse.
aight thanks man

As my Sticky states, please post tech questions in the tech forum. Since I assume this is for an N/A car, that's where this thread is going.
oops, guess thats where it should be... still new to this

·
Registered
'02 PSM 2.5 RS
1,688 Posts
everything i've read said the gaskets that came with it were POS....
guess i could try em first...
Don't bother. I have a loud exhaust leak from them blowing out on me. Turns out one of the nuts came loose, I tightened it, but no difference. Now I'm gonna go get some OEM ones from the local dealership and cross my fingers that fixes it. I'll also retighten the nuts after a little while this time.

·
Registered
2006 Impreza WRX Limited
2,603 Posts
get a long drill bit and just drill in from the tail pipe and see what happens.

...i wish you good luck.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha i installed my injen CAI and borla reps today...
to me the headers with stock exhaust sound....lawnmowerish...or a gocartish...
damn i need a new axleback... *sigh

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
you can do what i did. first i just took off the muffler. then i made my own 2.5 straight pipe axle back. its loud but sounds AMAZING

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
is that legal? for some reason it sounds like something the po-po might not like...
duno
well i have a stock looking tip as well. i passed atleast 3-4 cops already and nothing. just dont tool it in front of them. if they hassle you then just say that the stock muffler had alot of rust and was leaking/broken so you are waiting for a new one in the mail.

·
Registered
97 silver legacy gt.
281 Posts
cut the resonater out and weld in a straighpipe. most places would do it if you brought the piping for around 30-50 bucks maybe less

·
Registered
171 Posts
have you gone through the exhaust clip sticky and found a video of how you'd like your car to sound? if you just cut out the muffler or resonator like someone suggested chances are you're going to end up with quite a bit of rasp, and far more noise than most people would be comfortable with. Different strokes for different folks I guess, however I've found that the sound that most people are looking for and are most fond of almost always requires a resonator, especially when using a cheap muffler. The stock resonator doesn't do a great job of cutting down rasp, however a longer resonator can be bought and installed at a very low cost and will make a substantial difference. I got my used resonator for free from a friend who is a tech for nissan out of the scrap pile.

here's an example of a car with the stock header, stock cats and STi catback, but with a straight-pipe where the muffler and resonator should be. Now this would sound a bit different with an unequal-length header, however it would still be just as loud. Like I said before....different strokes for different folks; The owner of this car loves the way it sounds and doesn't believe it sounds raspy or ricey at all, but it's definitely not for me. I think that a lot of people who claim their exhaust isn't raspy aren't actually sure what the term means sometimes.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e149/subikid/?action=view&current=eb236aae.flv

This, in my opinion, is what an N/A 2.5RS should sound like:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k_Aj4GR48gE&feature=related

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea that one sounds pretty good, im going to keep saving for a bit till i can get a dual tip stromung axleback and go from there.
i have looked through the sticky for "what exhaust i should get" thoroughly
really love the deep rumble of the stromung :)

thanks for the info btw!

·
Registered
00 Subaru Impreza RS
349 Posts
Got a question. I've been search the forums and can't find anything. A friend just gave me an Apexi muffler tip. I was wondering, should i cut the old muffler off or have a muffler shop repipe the last section of the pipe with the new muffler. Also, can i make the pipe bigger (2.5-3 inches i think) or will that be too big for the stock midpipe. this has been rattling my brain for a little bit. any help?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Got a question. I've been search the forums and can't find anything. A friend just gave me an Apexi muffler tip. I was wondering, should i cut the old muffler off or have a muffler shop repipe the last section of the pipe with the new muffler. Also, can i make the pipe bigger (2.5-3 inches i think) or will that be too big for the stock midpipe. this has been rattling my brain for a little bit. any help?

2.25 (2 1/4) is the ideal pipe size for a 2.5. you can do that with the muffler but now you ruined the stock one so now all you will have is the apexi one. i would have a exhaust place take off the stock axle back and have them put on a custom axle back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts