Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Silv
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, some of you know my strut install dilema. I'm finally on my last strut. The rear right one. I get it all lined up, get all 3 bolts ontop. About to put the brake line and and notice soemthigns wrong. I got 2 left rear struts! The brake line brackets on the other side. I'm wondering if i can just install it?The spring rests on on the strut fine. everything seems ok just the bracket is on the other side.
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Don't do it, get the correct strut

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know. It seems that everything lines up. Only difference is the brake line. Then again, the keyword here being 'it seems'. But I put it on, going to run it for tonight and call them tomorrow. I'm going to test it out.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, just put the wheel back on. It's raining really hard so I'm testing it out tomorrow. CVRMotorSports, expect a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I've talked to numerous people now and all of them say it doesn't really make a difference. Only thing is the brake line brackets. They say if I don't want to go through the trouble of getting the correct one, I'm fine. I'm still going to call CVRMotorSports tomorrow though.

·
Registered
88 XT6. 2.7l H6, 4.11 5MT
565 Posts
Only thing is the brake line brackets.
+1

I put my front struts on the wrong sides last fall when I did my 5-lug swap. when I finally put my brakes on........DOH.

couple zip ties, and it's been good ever since.

don't sweat it. but do bitch out your source!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Makes me feel a lot better. I know I should be patient with getting things right, but if it's the exact same thing, just the brake line brackets, I don't think I really care. I am going to call them regardless though. But I am wondering, if something happens to go wrong, will I still be under warranty? Because technically I did install it wrong.

·
Registered
2005 Saabaru 2.5i
376 Posts
I had a problem with getting my camber plates to move in all the way, and discovered that swapping them side to side helped, so rather than swapping the tops and all, I just swapped my LF AGX to the RF, and visa versa.

Just like Numbchux said, nylon zipties are your friends for the brakeline and ABS wire. It was like that for months, but now I've found and fixed the root cause (bent control arm) and swapped them back a couple weeks ago. Anyway, no real worries, IMO.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, just went for a test run. First on 2/4, then 3/6, now 4/8. Pretty bumpy;) I like it though:)
I might as well give them a call, but I don't really think I'm going to get the correct one. So should I even bother calling? Only thing I'm worried about though is if something HAPPENED to go wrong, would I still be under warranty with that strut installed in the wrong place?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I found out the hard way. It doesn't fit. The bottom ot the strut where the spring rests on rubs on the wheel well. I'm going to put my stock strut on on that side and wait till i get the correct strut. Damn you CVRMotorSport:( I know no ones perfect, but couldn't you ship me the right rear struts??:(

·
Registered
2005 Saabaru 2.5i
376 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Apparently the rears are tighter than the fronts???

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess so. The bottom part of the strut is really pressed against the wheel well. This really sucks. And CVRMotorSprots isn't picking up.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Impreza RS - RBP
1,605 Posts
Hopefully they'll pick up soon. Riding with 1 stock strut might be weird. :p

Later on!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ehh. it'll hold up. One weekend won't hurt.

Bet you can't wait to hear my header huh Nick:p

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,316 Posts
Don't do it, get the correct strut
Should've listened to this /\ guy. J/k, I know you're itching to get it together, we all love our subies. Just tell them you didn't realize they were both the same until you installed it and it rubbed.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Already talked to them and they said they're shipping me the right one and I'll get a label to put on the wrong strut and give it to theUPS guy. No biggie. I'm cool with it. Everyone makes mistakes.
Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it. I don't know where'd I'd be if it weren't for you guys on the forums!
Kudos to everyone here]

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well considering I received a wrong strut should be a no-brainer that I shouldn't install it.However, I did talk to numerous people and most of them said that it shouldn't matter, that you can install the left on right and vice versa, only thing that will be different is the brake line brackets. I guess this only holds true for the front struts?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts