No the opposite, weld 2 inches, leave a 2 inch gap, weld 2 inches, etc. If you prefer the above look, you would back stitch; weld as I mentioned, then when done, go back and weld the sections you skipped. This helps with the heat dispersion and blowing through the thin metal.
Most race car chassis are stitch welded. Factory cars are usually only spot welded and they hold up well.
Here’s the “bracket” I made utilizing the stock bar, for a spec c 12L tank. Painted the sti pink /cherry blossom from a left over can of it.
With this setup it sits a little “inside” the cockpit to clear the V brace. I will have to remove rear seat to fill it up. Or I may have a “cut away” in the rear seat.
Also like to post: after MONTHS of messing w the undercarriage after messing up the “diy spray can undercoating”, 99% of the engine bay, under chassis, interior is stitch welded.
Next week I’ll be wiring wheeling/sanding to prep for paint. And if all goes well I’d like to lay down primer, seam sealer, color on the undercarriage by the end of September... and maybeeeee get it assembled by end of 2020
So after 2 years.... car was disassembled December 2018.. from improperly undercoating the car before a 6 speed swap... to complete stitch weld inside / out and refinishing, interior, undercarriage, engine bay...
Car is FINALLY ready for assembly.... can’t wait to get brake, fuel lines and gas tank in to start it off..... if I was doing it again, I could prob do it all in 30 days.
Step one: don’t blow out all wax/grease remover from crevices... then undercoat.
2) wire wheel entire new undercoating off because it didn’t harden. clean to reveal oem finish
3) ruin oem finish, so remove all oem finish
4) stitch weld
5) wire wheel
6) wire wheel
7) clean, clean, scuff, clean clean
8) epoxy, single stage, dry 2 weeks, scuff/clean apply undercoating & run out before being able to do the wheel wells, clean off all over spray inwheel wells....apply single stage.
9) congratulate yourself for not throwing the whole chassis in a dumpster.
Video of the process.. mix of video & pictures. True 2003 car domain online content.