Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
95 Coupe, 95 Sedan & 95 Wagon
12,408 Posts
No the opposite, weld 2 inches, leave a 2 inch gap, weld 2 inches, etc. If you prefer the above look, you would back stitch; weld as I mentioned, then when done, go back and weld the sections you skipped. This helps with the heat dispersion and blowing through the thin metal.

Most race car chassis are stitch welded. Factory cars are usually only spot welded and they hold up well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
First pic of my green machine painted.... next fixing brake lines, 5 speed swap, 4 pots & authentic jdm turbo setup on the 2.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
Doing engine bay stitching, modding wrx pedal boxes for gc8 auto manual swap, & patching holes in trunk lid for my oem low rise spoiler to gt wing swap.

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2509.jpg

IMG_2517.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Here’s the “bracket” I made utilizing the stock bar, for a spec c 12L tank. Painted the sti pink /cherry blossom from a left over can of it.

With this setup it sits a little “inside” the cockpit to clear the V brace. I will have to remove rear seat to fill it up. Or I may have a “cut away” in the rear seat.

Also like to post: after MONTHS of messing w the undercarriage after messing up the “diy spray can undercoating”, 99% of the engine bay, under chassis, interior is stitch welded.

Next week I’ll be wiring wheeling/sanding to prep for paint. And if all goes well I’d like to lay down primer, seam sealer, color on the undercarriage by the end of September... and maybeeeee get it assembled by end of 2020

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
After all this painting is the Easy part.

About 12h of paint prep and 12h of welding/grinding & 30 minutes spraying.

Still got seam sealer & top coat to do.

Finished interior vid below:

Here she is sprayed w Eastwood rally red. Very happy with the results as this is my first time painting a car properly... next up, undercarriage & engine bay.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #170 (Edited)
So after 2 years.... car was disassembled December 2018.. from improperly undercoating the car before a 6 speed swap... to complete stitch weld inside / out and refinishing, interior, undercarriage, engine bay...

Car is FINALLY ready for assembly.... can’t wait to get brake, fuel lines and gas tank in to start it off..... if I was doing it again, I could prob do it all in 30 days.

Step one: don’t blow out all wax/grease remover from crevices... then undercoat.

2) wire wheel entire new undercoating off because it didn’t harden. clean to reveal oem finish

3) ruin oem finish, so remove all oem finish

4) stitch weld

5) wire wheel

6) wire wheel

7) clean, clean, scuff, clean clean

8) epoxy, single stage, dry 2 weeks, scuff/clean apply undercoating & run out before being able to do the wheel wells, clean off all over spray inwheel wells....apply single stage.

9) congratulate yourself for not throwing the whole chassis in a dumpster.

Video of the process.. mix of video & pictures. True 2003 car domain online content.

k

·
Registered
2.5RS, STI, BRZ, ZL1 vert, X5D
256 Posts
Jealous of the seats, and I need details on the Turbo timer... but please, buy this and redo your brake lines..

161 - 176 of 176 Posts