Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
RHD or custom exhaust manifold/TBE

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
naw, you *can* do it LHD, it's just more work....

there was a guy on some local forum that did it....he was a bit of a choch and didn't really explain what he did.....

·
Registered
2003 Outback Sedan H6
2,274 Posts

there was a guy on some local forum that did it....he was a bit of a choch and didn't really explain what he did.....
If you're talking about that white wagon I'm still skeptical about it. I really want to see it in person to know exactly what he did.

But yes, skepticism aside, you'd have to go RHD or do a lottt of custom fab work to get the second turbo to fit without hitting the steering rack. Tuning is also almost non-existent state-side. As far as I know there was never a PowerFC or any variant made for the EJ20H/R/8; there were a plethora of tuned ECU's for those motors though, such as Mines and a few others, but they won't compensate for the lower fuel grades we get in the US, so you'll experience pinging. The wiring itself is also a bitch because of all the extra vacuum lines associated with the tt setup.

Cliffnotes: More hassle than its worth. I know you're considering it because they're less than $1000 for a full drivetrain on eBay typically from jhot, but they're cheap for a reason. Yes, they are a great motor, but a pain in the ass, and a single turbo G or K will make the same power as the tt setup. In fact, the majority of Legacy tt owners overseas swap over to a single turbo setup in the quest for more power, as the tt setup gets maxed out pretty quickly.

There are a ton of threads that seem to pop up on NASIOC in the conversions forum just like this one every day, and the answer most people give, including myself, is what was just said.

·
Banned
1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!
718 Posts
^Well said.

I wonder if you could just throw on a single VF34 or whatnot with the aid of stock STi or WRX piping and use a USDM ECU or a piggyback unit. Would you get similar power then other setups?

·
Registered
2003 Outback Sedan H6
2,274 Posts
^ You could convert it to single turbo, although you'd be better off using a JDM ECU and harness from the counterpart single turbo motor from that particular generation. Example: EJ20H you'd use a G ECU; EJ20R you'd use a K ECU, etc. But by the time you did this and sourced out all the extra parts to convert it to single turbo, you've exceeded the cost of just buying a single turbo EJ20G or EJ20K right off the bat, which has either a 16G or some other 300WHP-capable turbo, the later generations getting IHI turbos.

You couldn't use a USDM ECU, at least not without extensive extensive extensive work, and I haven't heard yet of anyone being successful with this (A lot of questions get asked about this regarding getting these older OBDI motors to pass OBDII emissions).

Another thing I forgot to add to my post above was that back in the day when I was considering buying an L or Legacy, going RHD and swapping in one of the tt motors I looked at turbo upgrade kits that still retained a tt setup (Obviously the perk of doing this swap :)), and the cheapest "kit" I saw was made by Power Enterprise IIRC, and it was something like $3400. Not really worth it, considering I think the primary turbo was only about the size of a VF30 or something like that. No GT30's here. And before you ask, you can't just slap on some larger IHI turbos, say VF22's or VF39's or what-have-you, because the flanges on the tt turbos are wayyy different. Sure you could probably chop up new flanges for the up pipe and down pipe, but again, single turbo is cheaper. And then, again, you get into tuning issues, as already stated.

However, I've driven a few cars with this particular swap and its very cool; much different than any single turbo-equipped Subaru I've driven. The key though was they were all RHD. But I like the feel of having that broad power band and seemingly no lag quite a bit! And out of the box they feel really quick, even in a heavier Legacy, which is one of the cars I got to drive. I'm in no way bashing these motors (If I bought another Subaru as a project I'd probably do this swap), but commenting on issues you will run into and the fact that single turbo is cheaper in the long run and what you'll likely swap to anyway in your quest for more power.

·
Registered
2001, 2.5rs, silver
95 Posts
Hmm, I'm also thinking about this too. But the guy I'm buying from says he has the vf22 single turbo for it already. He also has the original ecu too.

·
Registered
MY00 //// BRP 2.5RS coupe
3,369 Posts
not worth it friend couldn't find wiring diagrams yrs ago

don't make that mistake we made

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,223 Posts

*blink*

Was it yellow?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts