Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

First post and, for the record, I did use the search function.

Car is a 2000 Impreza Outback Sport.

I came home from a snowboarding trip yesterday. On my way home the ABS light came on, but went off shortly after, then came on again right before I arrived home. Not sure if this is related at all, but thought the more information the better.

About two hours after I arrived home I went out for a smoke and noticed that some of the lights on my car were still illuminated. The front, rear and side turn signal indicators are all on, as is the in-dash light. However, only on the right (passenger) side of the car.

The left-hand (driver's) side turn signal still functions normally. However, when I engage the hazard button, all eight lights stay solid no-- no flashing whatsoever.

After a few minutes of fiddling with the hazard button and turn signal stalk, the right side began to function as normal. After no more than 30 seconds, the right side was once again full on.

I searched Google and RS25, yielding no exact matches. However, I have read that people have difficulty with turn signals not working at all-- and the solution is often replacing the turn signal relay. So, I found that beast stashed way up in the dash and disconnected it. The result? Well, my turn signals on the driver's side don't work, but the right side remains illuminated.

So I pulled the three exterior lights one-at-a-time, starting with the tail light. I unplugged each, and the others remained on each time.

I've also checked some of the fuses in the engine bay and in the dash.

I'm at a complete loss here, please help!

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I just finished checking the ABS sensors. Everything appears to be in order with each of them. Still puzzled. Pulled the battery so it wouldn't drain again.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cleared ice off the car today and let her run for about two hours, hoping the heat would dry out any moisture in the engine bay or electrical system.
Problem was intermittent all day, but was functioning normally for about an hour.

Came home, parked and shut her off, went back outside an hour later to find the same problem AND now all three rear brake lights are on (both tails and the third in the hatch).

Thinking it's related to the weather, but not sure yet. Gonna trace wires tomorrow I guess.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's what I had wondered.

The car died overnight. When I jumped it this afternoon the only of the lights that was still on was ABS. However, when i engaged the turn signal (RH), it caused the lights to shudder and now the tachometer sits at 0rpm and the digital odometer readout is blank.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got this hit on NASIOC. Any further insight?

bad ground for the gauge cluster

damn this is really common on these cars for some reason
were the lights for the TS in the cluster staying lit and when you go to signal, flashing opposite?

edit: just saw the brake deal, did you swap relays to see if that helped? might be corroded closed
The turn signal indicator (in the dash cluster) stayed lit when I tried to signal, as did the exterior lights themselves.

Which relay should I swap?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza Outback
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the lack of response.
I've spent the last several days replacing the catalytic converter and front O2 sensor.
That whole ordeal is over with, as are the struts, so now back to this strange electrical issue.

I replaced two fuses in the cabin fusebox and now have a functioning gauge cluster again.

Issues that remain: ABS light, fast-blinking RH turn signal (which also causes the ABS light to flash opposite the turn signal), CEL, AIRBAG light.

Pictures and more details can be found in this NASIOC thread.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.