Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how bad is it to maintain your turbo'd cars, i know that avo kit rs-t's are more expensive on the long run compared to a wrx swap. Can someone shed the light on sti motors USDM, wrx motor USDM and compare and contrast them stock AND modded. I read somewhere you need at least 400 bucks a month for maintenance

·
Registered
98 2.5RS ~ EJ257D Hybrid
864 Posts
Who ever told you that is a bit nuts...

Every turbo motor I've had I run royal purple, buy it by the case and change the oil myself... ends up costing about 10 bucks more than a regular oil change but its worth it.

Only other thing you have to do is run premium... unless you drive to work like you're racing the guy beside you, that shouldn't even amount to 400 dollars in gas per month...

·
Registered
98 SE-R 01 RS
496 Posts
Just change the oil regularly, don't by cheapo gas and know the limits of your kit and you should be good.

·
Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
2,719 Posts
short answer - more moving parts = more potential to go wrong

However, if you treat the car nicely you shouldn't have that many problems. RST's are notorious for being unreliable because the motor was not built for boost. A properly built/bought turbo motor can be just as reliable as it's N/A counterpart.

Want to elaborate where you heard this $400/month number and why?

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
i spend about $250/month on gas, oil change about every 2 months (3,000 miles).
Same cost from when I had N/A, you just gotta keep an eye on maintnance and you'll
be okay

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
either i got that 400 dollar thing from yahoo answers or nasioc, thanks for the input. I heard wrxs are a reliable way to go when it comes to swapping to a turbo. One more question, what about aftermarket turbos will they shorten the lifespan of the motor? something like a vf34 or a 16g turbo with proper cooling of course.

EDIT:

i also heard stuff about either evos or stis that need to be brought in for maintanence for either checkups or quick fixes like every 3 mo.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I've had an AVO kit on my 2000 RS (stock motor) for about 30k miles so far, and I've had zero problems, and the only added maintenance cost I have is that I use synthetic oil now instead of regular. But no WAY am I spending $400/mo on maintaining my car, not even close!

·
Registered
2000, 2.5 RS sedan, blue
81 Posts
i have an us 04 wrx engine, STI injectors, 16g deadbolt turbo, walbro fuel pump, full exhaust, pushing 300 WHP, ZERO problems. keep up on the manditory maintinence, get a turbo timer, run premium. everything should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts