Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive always wanted to turbo my RS but have never been able to really find any positives about it compared to the sti motor. i was wondering since the sti motor is a 2.5 would many of the parts be compatible with the RS motor?cause its easier to find sti parts. now i know with swaping the RS with sti motor i need a bigger rear diff but if i would turbo the RS motor would i still need a bigger diff? i have no future plans for my RS any more i plan on selling mine and get a dodge spirit R/T if i ever go back to subaru which i will i will just get a STI hatch cause they look badass

· Registered
'98 RS, '13 BRZ
841 Posts
Your diff will be fine, even with an STi swap. I swapped out for an STi motor and i ran it for 20k miles before the tranny blew up (i used the stock RS tranny). I replaced the tranny and now i've put another 10k on it and the diff is still fine.

Its much more worth your time and money to just swap the motor out rather than turbo your RS motor. Your RS motor is high compression which makes it hard to put any more than 5-6 psi into it without blowing something up. If you get a JDM STi motor, you'll be running a very reliable 14psi right out of the box, with tons of room to make more power.

· Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,505 Posts
Yes, the diff may hold up fine, but don't ever get the idea into your head that the R160 diff is in any way equal to an R180 ;)

The R180 rear is very very nice.

-- Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.