Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, im at a loss. i dont know what to do. i have to go to school in about three weeks and my car is in pieces as i was in the process of turboing. it seems that every step i make forward it = three steps backwards. i have a jdm twin turbo legacy motor in my rs that was running without any turbo and it was slow like nothing else on the road. so my idea was to save up and buy a single turbo kit. thats what i did, i got a WRX turbo setup and couldnt find a way to make the inlet tube fit past my power steering pump so i made my own only to realize that
the one i made will not fit off to the side like it was supposed to because it is to close to the intake manifold. this is my biggest problem as of now so i am contemplating giving up, going back to the way it was and selling the damn thing. i love the car but i dont know what to do...yes i know i am crying about it but this is only one of many problems i have been facing and i have never been so frustrated.

-any words of encouragement of how to make progress?

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SR 25 RS - the only legacy parts i could find were to much $$, i just wanted to get a little boost for not that much $$ to keep me going till i could just buy an all in one wrx or sti swap later. atleast thats how i figured it.
Jefff - i thought of making an inlet tube that goes on the outside of the manifold (as to underneath), when i mounted the turbo up to the up-pipe there is absolutely no clearance to get anything in between the turbo and manifold i guess i ran out of ideas. im maf based.
Circaisdashiat - i could give that a shot, i did think of this but i didnt think it would end up bolting or fitting up right. would the fitment be ok?

· Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
3,814 Posts
Jefff - i thought of making an inlet tube that goes on the outside of the manifold (as to underneath), when i mounted the turbo up to the up-pipe there is absolutely no clearance to get anything in between the turbo and manifold i guess i ran out of ideas. im maf based.
Circaisdashiat - i could give that a shot, i did think of this but i didnt think it would end up bolting or fitting up right. would the fitment be ok?
im in the same predicament....but im map only so its not as crucial...but what i ended up doing as a temp fix was buying a 2" flexible exhaust tube....and then straight silicone adaptors to connect the exhaust tube to the inlet and the filter....its not pretty at all....and im sure its not the best in terms of performance...but it works.....u can bed it to make it under the p/s lines....its a bitch to work with but again...it works

try it for a temp fix to get you to school ;)

or try making custom P/S lines....the problem for me is the hardline that goes to banjo bolt on pump

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jefff - you dont have any pics, or links to the flexy exhaust tube your talking about would you? and the silicone adapters...are these just random plumming adapters or where did you find them? i think i know what your talking about but still unsure. if this will temp. do the trick i will love you lol. the only other thing i would wonder about is the random vacuum lines from the tube?

· Registered
439 Posts
yeah, just stick with it and think of many different ways of running it -- I used a silicone 90* elbow and made it a little smaller and it fits alright, really tight, but still fits..... i could try and get a screw driver or anything in there any time soon as it was a pain in the balls to get in .... but there are a few ideas

Jefff -- we want pictures !! lol i really want to see your setup, sounds pretty interesting. are u using the ej251 or the ej257 coolant crossover pipe ?

· Registered
'00 RS w/ 05 STi swap
464 Posts
all you need is an elbow directly on the turbo to bend the intake upwards then you can connect a self built intake to the elbow and route the filter any way you want. here is the best pic i have of mine - i used a rubber elbow from my local ace hardware and cut it down so the turn is really sharp and it fit really snug but works

· Registered
439 Posts
mine is pretty much the same as above, just cut it so it had the right angle , and put it all together ..... needed a long screw driver to tighten up the clamp but its in there. ill try and get some pictures tomorrow if its not raining too bad out, its been raining crazy here lately.

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if anyone can get more of a close-up, i'd like to see exactly what you guys have done. im more of a hands on learner and i cant see cutting + bending that type of a clamped elbow successfully, im sure it was done i just need to see it i guess.:stupid:

· Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
haha i was waiting for that reply...thought i would have gotten it a while ago. Thanks for the support bro. hopefully shit wont break on mine.
and thanks for the link thats exactly what i was looking for im sure that helped more than one person!

· Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,509 Posts
Yuck, the twin turbo engines are difficult to swap. The good news is that you have plenty of knowledgeable people here to assist you so have heart and ask the questions that will allow you to get the help you need. You can get this project finished!

· Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
3,814 Posts
well the engine is half out...and i dont have a camera....:(....

but yeah what i did was use my gimmick inlet hose on the end of the exhaust tubing....that way i had all the nipples and crap.....

this is the exhaust tubing

u can buy it at autozone, or pretty much any car parts store....just measure the inlet of the turbo and then buy the same size tube and silicone couplings(again any car parts store should have em).....

its a temporary fix....it looks like shit....but it will clear the manifold and the PS pump....just play around with different bends in the tube till it works.....

i did this originally cause i was stuck in BFE nevada and my gimmick inlet kept collapsing...40 hour drive + no boost is not fun

im ordering an elbow like the one linked about for when the engine goes back in so i'll have a real intake.....but if you need to get it together and cant wait for that elbow in the mail then this will work.....

im really sorry i dont have pics....but even the camera on my cell phone is shot(i broke my phone lol)....but if u really need pics i can borrow a camera and take some 2moro...let me know....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.