Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 RS, Aspen White
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys...
not really sure where to post this or how to name this post...
I'm trying to post a step by step of what I am doing to this 00 RS while at the same time asking for some advice in a few critical steps that i'm not too sure about.

The project starts with a 2000 RS that has been converted from 4EAT to 5Speed last year.
we just bought a EJ25 off of a 2006 STI with a spun bearing. and we are thinking about just using NA 2000 SOHC Heads for now... (anyone has any opionions about why we should or should not do this?) this heads are gonna be machined and rebuilt with stock everything (we might decide to go with turbo heads or better cams later on)
are stock head studs fine or do we need some APR

First step is going to be getting crankshaft machined and a new rod where the old one had a spun bearing... the engine is really low miles so we are not thinking about having anything done to the block itself except for a really light hone to the cyl walls.
New rings and new bearings... not sure about the brand... if anybody has any suggestions i would love to hear...

as far as HG i believe the ones i just need the 0.040" OEM STI gaskets

we have also bought a turbo exhaust manifold so that is settled and we are now looking for a turbo cross member from a WRX or legacy GT.. I have also heard that you need spacers to make the legacy GT fit on the 00 RS... not sure about that yet... still researching...

as far as Turbo we haven't decided yet which way to go... but we are thinking a VF turbo... reading on here it seems that a TD04 WRX turbo wouldnt be enough... we are not really trying to push too much boost... but start with an 8 PSIs or so... (suggestions welcome)

as far as intercooler we have the option to buy a used WRX top mount for about 100 bucks... that didnt sound like a bad idea... we are trying to stick to the top mount...

u/p and d/p are probably going to be either WRX or ebay ones if we find a turbo cross memeber, otherwise they will need to be custom built.

fuel pump we are thinking about a walbro 255, that should be enough right? or would a WRX stock fuel pump be enough?
do we need to upgrade injectors or are the 2000 RS enough for only 8 psi? [edit: found out that for 8psi the injectors don't need to be changed... ]

for the oil pump we are going to use the STI one we already have
and we will need a turbo water pump.

For the engine management we were thinking about sticking to the stock RS ecu with a SAFC and we will also need a RRFPR right? what about the timing? will the RS timing be alright or is it timed too early? in that case what would be the cheapest easiest way to go?

Clutch will need to be upgraded too...

for the oil feed i was thinking about adding a T connector to the oil pressure sensor and then tapping into the oil pan for the return... not sure if this set up would be fine... [found a thread on nasioc that i'm currently studing but any personal experice would be welcome]
i have been looking at turbo oil pans... but i can't really see the point of getting one of those compared to a stock oil pan...

sorry this post is really long... i hope somebody can give me some suggestions...

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
All of your questions are answered in other threads. Some of them are stickied at the top of this section. Not trying to be mean, just thought you should do some more independent research and come back with the questions you need further clarification on.

·
Registered
1996 Impreza L
69 Posts

·
Registered
2003 RS, Aspen White
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^Like he said. This question has been asked many times and there are more than a dozen of helpful threads with answers to your questions. Familiarize yourself with the site since it will become your best-friend lol Heres a couple of links to get you started

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f7/t139473-boosting-1990-2002-usdm-subarus-chronological-guide.html

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f7/t7280...nduction-thread-everything-you-need-know.html

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f7/t81773-project-ej18t.html
thank you for the links... i have actually read everything in those first two threads... i found a lot of different opinions... i will be going over those and the third one once again... i see lots of turbo build that for exaple use TD04 but the opening posts say that those aren't sufficient.. that's just one example... after reading it all i still have a few questions and i always welcome opinion, thats why i started a thread myself.

·
Registered
2003 RS, Aspen White
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for the oil return line, i heard of tapping the valve cover, this is the only pic that i could find:

but shouldnt the oil return be placed higher up?

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
That photo the oil return is TOO HIGH. The oil return works on gravity, you want it as low as possible or else the turbo wont be able to cycle oil and can cause blow back thru the seals.

Check this thread out, this is probably one of my favorites to reference and its not even in the Turbo section. (diy section)
This is where you should tap for oil return.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t160188-diy-turbo-ej25d.html

·
Registered
386 Posts
I don't think that Herm sees the drain on the bottom left of the picture, I mean main focus of the picture is the center of the valve cover with the pcv nipple in it.

·
Registered
99 OBS
276 Posts
I don't think that Herm sees the drain on the bottom left of the picture, I mean main focus of the picture is the center of the valve cover with the pcv nipple in it.
haha yep, you're right, that is a vacuum nipple, now I see the drain on the bottom left. My MAP car doesn't have a vacuum nipple there. That is a strange picture indeed lol..why is the focus on the center of the VC haha!

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
When I installed the AVO kit on 2000 2.5RS, I had a shop install the return into the oilpan. Had that done before I had the kit, so they capped it with an AN fitting, and then when it came time to install the kit, I just had to pop that off and put the return line on it, nice and easy.

·
Registered
99 22B replica
1,322 Posts
For hot side plumbing some guys like myself are using Subachad Up and down pipes instead of fitting on a WRX cross member, WRX header, and all the work that goes with it. Or you could fab one up yourself if you had the means/know how. Not saying which is better but its another option.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
For hot side plumbing some guys like myself are using Subachad Up and down pipes instead of fitting on a WRX cross member, WRX header, and all the work that goes with it. Or you could fab one up yourself if you had the means/know how. Not saying which is better but its another option.

Another option is to notch the crossmember that's on there. If you have access to a MIG, it's dead simple, and free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sure this has been answered some where but i haven't found it yet, and if it has please dont kill me and send this forum noob in the right direction. anyone know how to correctly wire the piggyback smt6 that comes with the avo kit on a 2001 RS? the wiring diagram is clear as mud and wrong. paul at avo is trying to find me an answer but im too impatient and just want boost and to be able to just drive the car. i wired it per what paul told me but it will not run correctly. key on engine off the fuel pump cycles on and off, the 5th injector will not come on and it idles like crap if it starts at all. i have had 3 people look at it and as far as we can see its "correct" per what paul told me to do. a proper wiring diagram would be a massive help. also most of the unused wires are tied to the ground eyelet(this is how it came from avo), doesnt seem right to me can anyone verify if this is correct?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts