Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
I'll have the tuna. No crust.
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wanting to know of success stories from members on this site or others that may have ran an EJ22 (NA) bolted on turbo with an automatic transmission.

Only other member that did this was this guy:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2081116

...and still waiting for him to reply back to my pm on questions on his build.

Also would like to know the difference between the automatic transmissions on the EJ22T Legacy's and EJ22 N/A Legacy's, and Impreza's. Any difference? A buddy of mine use to own a 1990 Legacy EJ22T and he rallied that lots of times for several years.

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
4EATs are beasts.

And all 4EATs are essentially the exact same. The one in the WRX is the same as the one in the L, RS, 2.5i, etc. So if it can hold WRX modded power just fine, you should be fine too.

Again, assuming you don't do any brake stands, launching, dropping it into drive from neutral, etc. Just keep the fluid up to date and you'll be good to go.

They're generally said to be 'stronger' than 5 speeds of the RS/WRX.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. Thanks for responding. I dont think automatics should have any problems with overheating if located in colder climates ay?!? Read of someone recommending installing an oil cooler to the transmission but dont think it's necessary if not driving like an ass.

·
Registered
1997 Acadia Green Impreza L
69 Posts
Not really necessary but a good preventative measure. I've been looking into this myself and two things which would help the 4eat are the valve-body mod and upgraded torque converter from IPT. From what I have gathered on various forums, those two mods will aid in response.

just something to consider.

·
Registered
2000 2.5RS/C BRP
2,321 Posts
I have a friend with a '95 Legacy L that's been turboed and is auto. The auto is capable of holding the power, but it cooks the fluid (mostly his driving style). If he cared about keeping the auto, he'd change it, but he's already got 95% of the parts for the manual swap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ny state I'm assuming. How often does he change his trans fluid and check it? Driving style as in pro rally driver ay?!?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts