Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to get some thoughts on turbo selection from some of the seasoned turbo guys.
I am collecting parts to preparing to enter the next phase of my build (which can be seen over on SL-i)
Current setup.
1995 Subaru Legacy LS
2.3L de-stroker, EJ20k intake, ver. 3 VF29 turbo, Ej25d ported, polished, unshrouded heads, AEM EMS standalone, FMIC etc. made roughly 300 wheel hp and torque

The next phase:
Same 2.3L shortblock, Ported EJ254 heads, 1500cc(?) injectors on E85, EJ253 intake manifold..
turbo: ????? rotated? Stock location? size?
Target: 500-ish crank hp (400+whp)
I know people have gotten to 500hp with stock location, but it required grinding the belhousing and (from what i understand) they cant run a turbo big enough for a better compressor efficiency, i.e. they were pushing the turbo outside its comfort zone.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS
425 Posts
Ls swap it! On a serious note, I havent and wouldnt purposely seek that much horsepower in a subaru but from the builda Ive seem people seem to love the FP-green and FP-red turbos. Back when I first got into Subarus the gt30/gt35 was really popular. Almost everyone was running rotated setups but Ive seen one or two bottom-mounted builds as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would totally do an LS swap if my EMS4 could run it! my legacy is already RWD too
Yea, I partly agree with you. I am of the opinion that EJ engines are not a great platform for power, but they sure are fun to tinker with, and its nice to have parts available.
Here are the two turbos I was eyeballing
I would really like to do a bottom mount setup but i havent been able to find much technical info on that route.

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
961 Posts
Have a GT3582R in very rough condition, on a roughly 6.7:1 CR ej22. Love it to death, all the turbo lag is worth it when it spools. The Gen 2 GTX##'s are supposed to have better response AND top end than the older ones, I'm thinking GTX35 supercore...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a FP Blue, on my RS, running a stock 06 wrx long block, on 93 pump.. making 396whp/403wtq..

Should be a piece of cake wih E85 and the destroker.

Tho, it may be too small of a turbo, for the destroker?

Dom 3.5xtr, easily fits in stock location and making 440whp, on pump..

I'll ask my tuner and also my knowledge holder..
One of the guys is running a destroker and a Dom 5xtr..

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Destroker.. 1300cc injectors.. 24psi.. 475whp..
Dom 5XTR..
Conservatively tuned..

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
500 is way too much for any thing you want to drive on the street. aim for 300-350 and you'll be really happy, especially with how light your car is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IDK Its not a daily driver. I take it to autocross/open track days mostly. The car makes 340 at the flywheel currently, and Its fun to drive, but i enjoy the tinkering almost as much as driving. when I do up the power, I will have to convert it back to AWD because 300hp + RWD + 235/40R18 is a recipe for a handful to drive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts