Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
98 Impreza 3.4L Turbo
4,994 Posts
wrong section

but yes....you can have a turbo in an auto.....it will work fine....and it will sound the same

but turbo in 5 speed is much more fun...i wouldn't waste my time turboing an automatic
Not exactly true.

In an auto, you don't lift to shift, so there's no BOV/BPV noise for shifts.

· 13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
6,004 Posts
One benefit of boosting an auto over a manual Impreza is the automatic transmission is much stronger than the manual, you won't need to worry about breaking gears with it. The manual starts getting sketchy at around 300 crank HP, I think, while the auto can hold over 400 fairly safely. Plus, no lifting off the gas for shifting means no boost loss during shifting. The auto actually isn't a bad choice for a turbo RS.

· Registered
93 Imperza L Ameythst
3,985 Posts
haha if you have to ask about this, you probably shouldnt turbo your car
we all started somewhere. I was a complete newb 3 years ago. Had a little flaming, but you know if you just search and read all you can on the technical data (shameless plug for nazicock) (Sorry, RS25.com just does not have a technical section anywhere near as good, but otherwise they blow balls :) ) You will learn more than you ever want to know. The thing is, the more you read the more you realize how deep your getting yourself into a pickle. I thought a ewg was a straight up bolt up job, lol im still not done and just waiting for install, but damn did i learn a thing or two. Good luck on the project man.

· Registered
'00 RS w/ 05 STi swap
464 Posts
i wasnt saying dont go turbo'ing your car because you are new to it - i meant to quote about the noise comment, where if you are only turbo'ing for the noise you shouldnt do it. my thought is if the only reason you are doing the turbo mod is for the noise (and that question was asked) why not just go buy one of those muffler "bov/turbo" sound makers for your tail pipe and call it a day. now if you want to go faster then we are all here to help you out man - lots of knowledge on this board about turbo'ing an RS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.