Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be faster in the 1/4 mile with a 2.5RS SOHC......Ludespeed stage 2 or Cobb CAI,Cobb Street cams, Headers, and a 75 shot of Nitrous? Which setup would be more reliable on a daily basis and for me to worry less about? Which one would you recommend and why? Sorry for all the questions hope you guys can help!!!!!!:)

THANX ART

·
Registered
37 Posts
Recently met a quy at the track with a ZEX nos setup on a 2000 RS.. It was AUTOMATIC and pulling 14.8 et that day. Not bad for an auto.... So I assume with a manual and nos can post in the low 14's et. I'm considering it..... turbo is nice if you have the $$$$:D

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
go turbo...if u're planning to do everyday driving..u get that nice sound when the turbo spools up and the pssshh sound that the blow off valve lets out.....besides nitros is not street legal...

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
nope........turbos are street legal...i've seen some street legal turbo upgrades and kits...why do u think we have RS-T's running around? from what i've seen i say it's legal.....correct me if i'm wrong....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes you are wrong. You can't say "how come we have RS-T's rolling around?"

Well man, we have RS's w/ Nitrous rolling around, and RS's w/ Supercharger's rolling around too... doesnt make it leagle.

Check your laws, esp if your in calfornia because I hear you can't even pass emissions if they catch you w/ a turbo.

(Also, turbo's are legal if it is oem on your car)

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Baaw, there are several of us N/A guys who are running those kind of times and we have the power all the time throughout the rev range.

B-series, most non-califor-nazi states will allow turbo/sc as long as the car's emmissions equipment are not removed (EGR, cats, etc)... N2O is definately illegal, personally I think it is irresponsible to carry a bottle around, period. True N2O is not flamable but it is under extreme pressure, if the bottle cracks your car will be peeled like a banana and throw shrapnel. IF you get rear ended and there is a fuel leak, thats another story... kaboom. Keep it on the track folks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Boy,
I do not doubt you can’t post good numbers with a N/A set up. Cost of a N/A set up that can pull in the low 14’s is costly project. For some of us with limited budget, NOS does sound appealing. I do intend to use it on the track only, street racing is only fun till you gets either caught or somebody get hurt.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
I'm not so concerned with street racing as I am with the folks who just have a bottle in the trunk, connected or not. If you're only looking to drag race, 14's are not going to win you a lot of kudos. If you intend to auto-x, rally-x, rally, road race (where the Impreza belongs) N2O will do you absolutely no good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have to disagree. N/A is not necessarily the most expensive or cheapest... it always depends on "what" you choose to spend your money on.

Some turbo kits may only drop a second off of your quarter mile time. For less money, you may be able to find NA parts that could do the same.

And to clear up the myth, nitrous is not "cheap horsepower" if done correctly, the entire engine setup could be equivelent to Turbo or SC.

In addition, I have never seen any injuries or accidents due to nitrous explosions (except in Fast and Furious).

Nitrous is less of a danger than your battery, (which keep in mind emits Hydrogen, which is much more dangerous than Nitrous)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey boy,
The nos blew up due the owners neglect. I don’t know what you know about drag racing.... Kudos or not.... I took 3rd in the point standings at the local track for the season.... Ok, since you’re so sure of how things should be. List the parts that I need and cost for a RS to pull low 14’s and under. Convince me that you know what your talking about....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, if you're only concerned with the 1/4... the na/nitrous route will get you good times cheaper. However the ludespeed stage II is capable of 13's

Nitrous is just a pain IMHO since its a one shot deal and then you have to go fill.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
To do a low 14's N2O you'll be spending about the same as a turbo kit (fuel pump, injectors, ecu, clutch, tranny?). Its cool that you want to drag race your car BUT the impreza was not designed to be a straight line screamer. The aerodynamics alone should tell you that. You can do a turbo build relatively inexpensively sourcing good condition used parts, you can also build a pretty mean N/A car if you have connections with a machine shop in town. Either way, when some one says "I want to go XXX fast" I say, "what's your budget?" A N20 build (with Cobb parts) will easily put you back more than a low boost turbo, install will kill you. Regardless of what system (and it is a system) you go with you will need to have some $$ left over for your tranny.

As for the Maxima, it may have been neglect BUT we all make mistakes right? or "It'll never happen to me". Come on :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nitrous is just a pain IMHO since its a one shot deal and then you have to go fill.

I don't what kind of setup you were thinking...... A dry nos set up with a 10lb bottle will give you about 16 runs at the strip.

·
Registered
RSTi, STi V6, BRZ Turbo
6,318 Posts
Dude, a 90 shot of nitrous is safe on our internals. I have been running a 90 shot with my venom for some time. Ater the 90 shot, the fuel system can't keep up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BUT the impreza was not designed to be a straight line screamer.

I'm sure the Honda and Acura guys heard the same thing....

"we all make mistakes right? or "It'll never happen to me". Come on "
Yes, we all do make mistakes. But not the same ones.... Oh crap! Gotta go.... Left the NOS bottle on burner... call 911!

·
Registered
my00 2.5 rs white
330 Posts
B-Series Sol said:
Yes you are wrong. You can't say "how come we have RS-T's rolling around?"

Well man, we have RS's w/ Nitrous rolling around, and RS's w/ Supercharger's rolling around too... doesnt make it leagle.

Check your laws, esp if your in calfornia because I hear you can't even pass emissions if they catch you w/ a turbo.

(Also, turbo's are legal if it is oem on your car)
it is most definately ILLEGAL to do pretty much any engine mod... and of course AFTERMARKET turbos are illegal...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Only in Cali.... most of the US we can do just about anything we want as long as it passes whatever smog test we have. (idle sniffer here in IL)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts