Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'00 2.5 RS
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I'm a newb to this site, but just read through a bunch of the posts on turbo/SC kits... here's my twist on the issue.

The lease on my '00 RS will be running out in about 9 months and I'm trying to decide if I should pay off the residual, and add on a turbo/SC kit, or if I should return my RS and get a WRX.

As far as I can tell, keeping my RS has the following benefits:

1) It's an RS... I got it b/c it is great and wasn't all that well known... while everyone seems to have a WRX nowadays. (No offense to WRX owners, I just like slightly more obscure stuff.)

2) From the end of my lease, it will be cheaper to pay off my RS and mod it, than to buy a WRX.

3) I will hopefully learn a lot more about my car through the process of having it "turboed" (which is something I'm really interested in) than by just buying the WRX.

Getting a WRX seems to have the following benefits:

1) Much less chance of destroying something important and expensive since the turbo comes stock from Subaru.

2) I won't have to worry that I know next to nothing about working on cars b/c if something goes wrong I can bring it to a Subaru dealer and get them to fix it, as opposed to trying to fix (or find someone to fix) whatever might go wrong with a modded RS.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback, suggestions or advice from all you folks who obviously know a lot more about all this than I do.

Thanks much!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
tough call. sounds like you have thought it out. i'd pencil it out to see exactly where the money is different. as far as mods dollar for dollar, the same amount of money would be more potent to add to the rex....pp.s. welcome aboard! drinks on you!

·
Registered
'00 2.5 RS
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. "bartender, next round's on me!" <cheers from the crowd>

I've looked at the $$ and paying off the RS and adding the mods is definitely less than buy a WRX.

I didn't even consider buying the WRX AND modding it... way too much $$.

Do you, or anyone else, have a feeling for how much I should worry about destroying my stock engine if I add a kit?

Also, how tough is it to just troubleshoot if something goes wrong after I added a kit? Would I need to lift the engine? Do I need special instruments?

Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
my suggestion....

is go out and test drive a WRX and see what you like...

and going from what my friends do and what i hear...

for the $$$ you calculated for your Turbo/SC Kit....add a extra $2K to it......

there's always little problems (or big) that will pop up...

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do...

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS coupe (9/01-1/04)
236 Posts
A nicely modded RS will be faster and more agile than a stock WRX. You've got a 200+ lb weight advantage, and shorter transmission gearing for quicker acceleration. Also, your stock suspension is better. Whatever you get, upgrade the tires so you can keep all that power on the ground. If you add turbo to the RS (which I don't recommend, it'll cost a lot more than you think and you'll constantly be having to fix little things that break or go out of spec), don't upgrade the clutch. Let it slip, and save your transmission.

Check out Cobb's upgraded heads & cams (www.cobbtuning.com) , that will make your car about as fast as a WRX, and you won't have that turbo trying to destroy your engine and transmission. You'll have instant power, less heat, and a stock-looking engine bay. Or for about the same price you could get Templar's upcoming S/C kit, which I will probably recommend, assuming the engine management is going to be good. If you've got even more $ to spend, get both and also a TEC-II or something like that to control the fuel & stuff.

Good luck to you,
-scott-

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,273 Posts
if you are really wanting to turbo your car, i would suggest getting Cobb's 8.5:1 CR pistons. Do everything right the first time.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Impreza RS
40 Posts
If he gets Cobb's Pistons he will have to bore out the cyclinders to 100mm. Heck might as well get the stage 3 block from Cobb!:D

IF he really wants turbo the car to make it Stupid fast all the hasta do is buy pistons like you said, bigger injectors and and Standalone ECU...

that's all...:rolleyes: lol

RawCode

·
Registered
'00 2.5 RS
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been watching Templar's SC kit, and that does sound the best so far... less hassle/worry than a turbo, plenty of power...

I was hoping not to have to screw with my engine (pistons, cylinders, cams, etc) b/c I've been told that once you open the block you're entering a whole new world...one that I don't think I am interested in exploring. :)

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
To speak the truth about the subject to get a turbo car or to turbo my car.

Here's my input on the topic. You buy a turbo charged car from the factory, it will blow up eventually. I've had and mr2 turbo, rx7 turbo, and 300zx tt, they've all blown up in some way, the rx7 had a tendacy to catch on fire for some reason:confused:

You turbo the RS it will also blow up eventually. So its up to you. And if everyone wants to argue with me about my cars blowing up, I mean it in different ways, turbine leak, input housing gets warped, turbine seize, you name it I've been through it all. Does everyone think that the japanese turbo sports cars died in the 90's because of the SUV, i think its because the cost to maintain/repair them if you ask me.

Anything with forced induction is a ticking time bomb, I do it cause I love the feel of boost and thats why I always keep re-investing in my car.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
6 Posts
[Here's my input on the topic. You buy a turbo charged car from the factory, it will blow up eventually. I've had and mr2 turbo, rx7 turbo, and 300zx tt, they've all blown up in some way, the rx7 had a tendacy to catch on fire for some reason]

Yeah, but rx7's and mr2's had rotary engines that have really high red lines i thought. An old neigbor of mine had an rx7 and he actually had the whole engine replaced three times before 50,000 miles. Now whether or not he was a dumb ass w/ his car, i dont know. I was a lil kid back then. I know a couple of people w/ high miledge turbo cars. They tend to run fine, but then again they worship their cars (not saying we dont either).

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
well first off mr2's are not rotary motors.
the reason for me saying that is just on experience, when I was working at ISR Performance before it merged with renick, We would always get these almost brand new WRX's in with blown motors. These cars had less than 10k miles on them. Yeah it can be driver(most likely it is), but no matter what, you can invest a million dollars and the car will still break, you can never really be safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts