Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i know i'm still a n00b here, and that's fine, but i was wondering how many people in southern california have some sort of turbo or supercharger installed on their subaru, other than wrx.

i think it's a really cool thing to do, and it makes the RS or L even better than it already is. yes, i know suspension mods are probably more important, but i'd like to know about people's engines in this thread. so if you have turbo'd your car, please post here what kind of turbo kit you have and what kind of intercooler system you are using. also, let us know how well it's working. have there been a lot of problems, or is it working well?

i know franco has a turbo kit with a wrx intercooler but i don't know about anyone else. thanks.

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
Yeah I have a wrx intercooler. The turbo is off the turbo legacy its about the same size as a wrx turbo. This is my 2nd turbo because I blew the original turbo due to too much NAWZ(for real it was an 80 shot).

I've had my car dyno'd at 268 hp with 274 pounds of torque at 9 pounds of boost. I've had the guys from Prodrive ride around in my car and all that I remember was Simon Wells saying "yeah Baby!" He said my car has more torque than the STi.

The car runs like a champ except when it ping's but thats only happens when its really hot outside. Other than that its pretty decent. It just gets expensive when ever something breaks, I always spend like $400 each time:confused: Hopefully I can get a my hands on another ej25 and get the internals built up and the stroker kit on it, then I should be up in the low 400hp area.

I have a friend who has the ej25 built up turbo charged with a t3/4 who hits about 19psi and he has about 534 hp to the ground. His GDA wagon is stupid fast.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice. i wonder why the heat is affecting your car. so you think cooling the intercooler with water would help, or is the problem not turbo related? are you using synthetic oil? i'm glad your car is working well. have you ever raced a wrx?

remember when we were driving to...the donut tree or that lolicup meet or one of those and that one car was trying to run you off the road??!!! i remember thinking, "why doesn't he just take off, surely his car is very fast", but you just stayed with the group and almost got killed. very admirable of you.

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
No serious racing with a wrx yet. One time I was out with Rob Shaw and it was after he upgraded the turbo I think. I was with up till about 118 I think. My car stopped boosting for some reason. I got that corrected I was running very lean and got rid of some of the detonation.

At the DT meet the only time when I remember when I put my foot on it is when pico speed up to pass me so I decided to fly with him as well. I know my car keeps up or if not the same its just holding the power on my weak tranny is the issue. I'll let you drive it or go for a ride so you know what I mean.
As for the other car....I think it was because my girlfriend was with me driving her Mr-s and really doesn't know the area to well, I just can't leave her you know.

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza L Sedan 2.
650 Posts
What's Francis running?...I saw his latest turbo sitting in the box at Suby Specialties and it was HUGE :biglaugh:

Werd.

-Milan

Turbo?...wussat?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh, i forgot your GF was caravanning as well.

i wasn't talking about racing pico or rob. rob has been dyno tested at close to 300whp, and pico has a boost controller and turboback exhaust. i meant a stock wrx. i raced rob one time and his car has SO much top end, it's stupid. once his turbo spools up, he's gone.

i did beat him off the line once, but he said it's because he didn't see the light change because he ws too busy playing his playstation. haha.

i guess no one else here has a turbo in their car. that's ok. i mean, the rs is still a lot of fun to drive. i drove one once and was shocked at how good the handling was compared to the wrx. but this was with aftermarket tires. still, i have a lot of respect for the rs. if subaru was smart they would have released a gc8 wrx. oh well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Four things you have to remember about me and my car:

1) It's NA, and NOT turbo.
2) It's slow as hell and doesn't handle worth a damn. WRX's would OWN me all day.
3) It's really ass dirty all the time so don't look at it.
4) I can't drive worth shit (woah, I can type that here...lol).

So.....remember these things when we're running GMR and you'll realize why I can't keep up.

Francis

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
Sauginius said:

2) It's slow as hell and doesn't handle worth a damn. WRX's would OWN me all day.

So.....remember these things when we're running GMR and you'll realize why I can't keep up.

Francis
So your car isn't turbo and you don't have an intercooler, that not a J&S, its an amp for your subs? Plus all those gauges you have are just for show?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sauginius said:
Francis
very funny. we all know you're superior to all of us in every way when it comes to driving. dont rub it in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a T3/4 with TMIC and linkPlus EM. Also have IC sprayers because i think its cool :cool: Dyno-tuned at 5.5psi with 200whp and 210ft-lbs torque. I'm bout to get bigger piping for my exhaust and get it retuned at 8psi. And i think my BOV sounds cool, much better then all the WRXs i've heard. :flame:

Sid

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cool. who tuned your link ecu for you , sid? or did you do it yourself?

and who do you think is faster, you or franco. i want to see some illegal street racing with the turbo rs guys!

·
Registered
130 Posts
eric m. said:
cool. who tuned your link ecu for you , sid? or did you do it yourself?

and who do you think is faster, you or franco. i want to see some illegal street racing with the turbo rs guys!
Brainstorm in L.A. tuned it for me, and i'm happy with their work. I tried to do it myself when i first got it and almost made my car undrivable :eek: I figured it was best left to the pros after that. you know, illegal street racing between JUST turbo RS guys sounds like a good idea...just make sure no ricers know so we dont have a big crowd and wont get busted. I'm faster then franco :flame:

Sid
Franco read your email

·
Registered
2000 BRP
144 Posts
Sauginius said:

Francis
:lol: :lol: suuuuuuuure! ;)

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza L Sedan 2.
650 Posts
oh yeah...well...I'm slower than all yous guys...and I STILL get speeding tickets?!?!...figure that one out :curse:

hahaha...actually I just became a "good driver" according to my lower insurance...the FOOLS!!!

muahahahahahha!!:devil:

Word.

-Milan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Uh-oh Franco....sounds like GimmeScoobySnacks is callin you out! lol :) Its throw down time!

But yea, the gauges are just for show...you know, its more points from the judges at Hot Import Nights. Plus the chicks dig it :biggest:

Seriously though, my car is pretty damn slow. The boost control is zero'd and I'm only running wastegate pressure (3.5 lbs). Too scared to turn it up.....not because I'm afraid I'm going to blow something, but afraid of the power at 5-10 lbs. So far, I've found that wastegate pressure is more than enough to enjoy some "spirited" driving. :checkit:

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
hahaha Sid.

Yeah Sid's car is stupid fast. I have power on mine but it in't consistent or it will most likely will blow up on me again.

I've never been in Sids 99 RS but I know its fast, the reason why I'm saying this is because of 2 things.

1. Ed from ISR who helped me build up my car said, your car is fast Franco but no where near as bad ass as Sid's.
The reason for this is the tunning or more tunability on his RS since our engine's are a little different. Its more balanced and not as many spikes as mine.

2. Sid's car is running so great now, Alot of the 2.5rs turbo's with link management now are using his settings as base blueprint off his dyno run's.
Bet you didn't know that huh Sid.
The guys from AVO are using your settings off your car that they got from Brainstorm. I'm pretty sure the info has gotten around by now.

But be carefull Sid, I am constintly upgading my RS turbo. I got all my piping upgraded to 3 inch and I got a new clutch(the shit don't slip no more). All I need now is a bigger fuel pump and new injectors then I will see you on the streets.

·
Registered
2001 2.5rs-T
391 Posts
Kaos22B said:
Ill take u all...=)
Your the other turbo RS I've met before. The one with he built engine right? Polised Intake manifold?

I think last I saw your car was at IAS in long beach.

Franco

1 - 20 of 28 Posts