Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 subaru impreza and am try to decide if I wont to turbo the 1.8 or if I wont to swap it to a new motor??? If I swap it is was think about a JDM version 2. What do you guys think....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only bad thing is that the motor that is in it has 200,000 miles on it! But runs great... I am just a little nerves about all the wireing I will have to do on the JDM swap!( is it really hard)?

·
Registered
2000 SRP RS
311 Posts
Well, it all depends on a number of things:

1) Budget:

2) Courage (I don't believe in actual experience is a MUST for it, if you are mechanically inclined that helps tons!)

3) Time: 1 month to order all the parts (unless you have like 4 grand saved, and a motor and everything is available all in the same wee) and 1-2 to swap it depending on speed, etc.

4) Patience: Some parts can get frustrating, and confusing, teh internet is j00 friend!

5) Or get a shop to do it, then its done by pro's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well on the budget part right now I have 2700.00 saved and wont take long to get more saved... I dont have a shop close that would be able to do the swap for me so that is out! I have a nother car to drive for as long as the swap will take.. And I do have some freinds that will help me out with the swap if I go that route...

How hard is the swap.. (Version 2)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Im in the same boat as you. Im unsure of what to do. Im thinking do a ej18 project like the others on this site, or swap.

If I was you, and had a second car to drive, its a no brainer. SWAP!!! DO IT!! You wont be dissapointed

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
supermoose said:
or do both. blow it up turboing (or stay na+t if you dont blow up)

if you blow up, swap.
+1

This way you can get some experience with wiring and mechanical work. Good way to slowly dive into it.

This way if you blow it up you can get another 1.8 for cheap maybe even free if you ask real nice.

Thats just me. I would have done it this way except I got a turbo motor for cheap. I only have to figure out how to MS the bitch.

·
Registered
1998 BMW M3
2,657 Posts
id turbo and blowup then swap. the logic is this

#1- dont want to swap, bc of skared. slightly cheaper to run risk of kabooming the NA+t, and you are honestly just bored - otherwise you would be at a motorsports event.

#2. after you kaboom, you dont want to blow up again. neither do you want to go back to NA, bc nobody likes NA after boost. BUT you've gotten smarter and know how to do things. thus swap.

#3. swapping is less work than wiring up a MS or rig-ragging things to keep your NA+T alive.

2 wires baby. 280 hp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that I am going to swap the motor out to the version 2 or 3. I would like to do the rhd conversion two that looks sick but I dont know for sure yet... Is it easyer to swap the hole harness out or just spilce them together???? Does anyone know where I can get ahold of a clip???

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
supermoose said:
id turbo and blowup then swap. the logic is this

#1- dont want to swap, bc of skared. slightly cheaper to run risk of kabooming the NA+t, and you are honestly just bored - otherwise you would be at a motorsports event.

#2. after you kaboom, you dont want to blow up again. neither do you want to go back to NA, bc nobody likes NA after boost. BUT you've gotten smarter and know how to do things. thus swap.

#3. swapping is less work than wiring up a MS or rig-ragging things to keep your NA+T alive.

2 wires baby. 280 hp
Very good points.

MS isnt as bad as it looks. Its only about 20 wires maybe more if you want WI and boost control to be running. Much cheaper than sending your harness to be merged thats for damned sure. I am not looking for easiest though. Cheapness is key. You have to know what is a good bang for the buck.

How many/which motors are just two wires? That would be good to let the OP know which one is easiest to put in. This would definitly be easier than a MS install. Lot less reading involved.

I think all 2.2s are OBD2 and all the 1.8s are OBD1 in the 95MY. I can tell you though the 95 OBD2 doesnt throw codes with a flywheel installed so it cant be too picky if you wanted to do stuff to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The swap is now going to get done... I really would like to put a new turbo on it when I swap it.. What would be the best turbo to put on it???

There is a place that will merge the harness for you????

1 - 20 of 26 Posts