Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 Impreza with a phase 1 2.2L Motor. Im looking into gettin a turbo, but am wondering.... Is it worth it, or should i just do an engine swap to something bigger, like the 2.5L ?
:burnout:

·
Registered
139 Posts
if you're gonna swap then i would recommend an ej20 or the new sti. no point in swapping to the ej25 if you're looking for the kind of power that a turbo offers. a swap will be pretty spendy either way it goes though, IMO you should put in something worth the money.
juz my .02

·
Registered
'93 L wagon, '04 FXTi
1,682 Posts
You could certainly turbo your 2.2, it's about the same as doing a '99 RS. If you look to swap though, just get an EJ20. They should get more common every day, between the forthcoming STi swaps and the weekly sacrifice to the wrecking gods that someone receives.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im leaning more towards a turbo now. I spent about the same amount of money on the car that i would need for an engine swap, and i dont have that kinda cash right now. But I bet i could work my way up to a turbo.

·
Registered
01 2.5 RS
110 Posts
Turbo the 2.2, engine swapscan get costly very quickily with all the extra parts you need for it to work, I have a friend doing one on his own and its becomming a PITA with finding all the parts. Buy a used turbo kit and have fun!

Dan

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
d-mcloud, my whole turbo install came in at right around $1200 (including engine management!). It can be done, if you're willing to get dirty.

·
Registered
1993 Miata-T
224 Posts
You can buy a low boost turbo from Larry Ganz at www.imprezars.com for a little over 2 grand. That will make you happy, and you can swap out parts of the kit gradually as you get the cash. And to upgrade from a vf-11 to a vf-22 when you buy the kit, its 250 bucks. Can't really beat that, just make sure you get an intercooler before you run higher boost with the vf-22.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
2.5GT, installed and running. So far I've had:

wrong plug gap
fouled plugs
serious intake leak
serious boost leak
fried O2 sensor
terribly slipping clutch

I haven't had det under boost, nor have I really tuned the E-Manage (A/F meter reads a bit lean but EGTs are WAY low) but the car is definitely fun. At 50% throttle its quicker than before at WOT. Once I get the new clutch in (ACT pp sitting in my closet, just need to get an OE disk) I'll give it some serious flogging. Pics can be seen here: http://www.tommarks.com/buffaloscooby/viewtopic.php?t=235

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats on the turbo install!! Glad I could help with finding you a turbo . . .

BTW, what's that gauge just underneath the radio?

Hehe, goodluck now that you're no longer in STS . . . correct?

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
That's a Westach EGT gauge, cheap as all get out but accurate to hell. Westach makes aircraft gauges/avionics and has a small auto line. The gauge and sender were under $100.

Remember we thought the turbo was from a Legacy? Its actually from a loyale and I've seen up to 6 psi in 5th gear (low throttle setting, thank god).

Yeah, no longer STS (haven't been in a while) but now I have the priveledge of running head to head against conebasher... needless to say I'm not going to bother with r-compounds this season ;) .

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
zoinkssooby said:
if you're gonna swap then i would recommend an ej20 or the new sti. no point in swapping to the ej25 if you're looking for the kind of power that a turbo offers.
Well, except for that there new 2.5-T in the new STi. :biggest:
(Though I'm sure that, right now, we'd end up paying about $15k for one of those engines!! Err, or maybe not, since they won't have to be imported... hmm...)

I agree that it's probably cheaper and more reliable in the long run to just do a WRX or EJ20 STi swap. You will indeed be missing the nice torque of the EJ25, though.

The EJ25-T examples that were done aftermarket are very nice, but more expensive because you have to get some more reliable hard bits in the engine, that can withstand the turbo. I don't know, if I had the money I'd turbo what I've got, very comprehensively.

But.... what I really like is N/A. So I say stick with that. :)

-S2-

·
Registered
139 Posts
if you look closely it says "or the new sti" beings as that i was talking about the new 2.5T DOHC beauty thats coming soon to a store near you:D i imagine it would run about 10k to get it and the tranny and another 3-5 to get it hooked up. another option would be to get the 2.5T motor coming in the forrester though i don't know many details. also, IIRC, the torque in the 2.5 N/A motor does not come from the extra displacement.
not tryin to flame just inform

1 - 15 of 15 Posts