Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I acquired this 06 Subaru Impreza rs for very cheap and it had some problems but I was willing to work with it. 180k miles and it ran but it would start smoking after a while so I did a rebuild on the engine, forged pistons out of ej257
Rings
HG
Timing kit
Water pump
Custom turbo setup(up pipe dp intake piping fmic)
Vta bov
680cc injectors
T04e eBay turbo
Walbro 255 fp
3” catless exhaust
Oil catch can on crankcase pcv
Heads are VTA
Evap, egr delete
I’m sure there’s more but anyway the problem I’m having is the car starts and no misses. After approx 1 minute smoke starts pouring out of exhaust. Vacuum seems to be excessive at 25-30+in hg at intake and can’t seem to build boost maybe gauge is defective because Ive heard the turbo spool
I had my turbo tilted too much and now it’s level and mostly above engine. My drain for my turbo runs into pan under oil level(stupid I know) I’m working on fixing it next day I’m in my shop
I did get it to stop smoking but it was just a placebo it was because my oil feed line had popped off so I replaced the feed line and put a .8mm restrictor and the car smokes like hell again
It’s like a very thick white gray smoke
I’m new to Subarus but I did a jdm ej20 swap for a customer and forgot to install pcv before and it was smoking like hell until I realized that the us block had pcv on block and jdm intake had the pcv and I used the jdm block and us intake so after installing a pcv the car stopped smoking
Wondering if there’s anything like this when you turbo the Ej that I may have missed
I’m gonna relocate oil drain into valve cover and inspect seals
Hoping my rings didn’t have a problem seating
Do you guys have any suggestions on what to check
Car is tuned for injector scaling
This is the second turbo I’ve tried I thought the first one had defective seals

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I forgot to add it’s definitely oil. It sharted oil on my garage door when I made it hit boost. Do you think it’s possible it’s the cheap turbos?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please excuse my bay and my wastegate vacuum line they’ve since been updated and it’s been moved around some. I only work on this in my spare time so stuff gets done little by little. When it’s buttoned up it will look a lot better

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
961 Posts
Sounds to me like the turbo has a bad seal and your drain line isn't draining. After supplying oil to the turbo for a short time the oil backs up to the turbo and leaks into the exhaust, causing smoke. Kind lines up with how the smoking stopped when your feed line popped off.

Does the engine have AVCS or anything?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
961 Posts
Maybe post a detailed description or 'map' of your breather hoses and oil lines. It's easy to get them wrong on a N/A-T, or if
Inherited it could be very easy to overlook someone's mistake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will work on pcv diagram
I was also thinking drain is pushing it out seal
It does have avcs
I got new control solenoids for them I have to install
Next time I’m in gonna remove valve cover and put in a brass fitting to drain directly in and weld my pan shut
My pcv
the valve covers are open
The crank case has a pcv coming out at the Y
The one goes to a catch can then to vacuum lines for intake
The other one goes to my turbo inlet piping

·
Registered
4 Posts
A simple non intrusive way to see if your pcv is stuck open or closed, pressurising the crankcase on boost or cruise is to hook a boost gauge up to a spare oil cap using a gland fitting.

Crankcase pressure should be well within +/-1 psi under all driving conditions.

Otherwise, just pull the pcv valve and test, clean or replace it.

You may also consider deleting the heads/crankcase vent balance pipes, and just run the forward head breathers and sump breather to your catch can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so update I have it ran like the last picture to vacuum balance pipes instead of intake. I’ll delete them tomorrow. I installed a new oil drain to valve cover and ran it for a about a minute and it smoked but there is a ton of oil in the exhaust so I’ll try running it tomorrow to see what happens if it burns off or what.
If it doesn’t burn off I’m gonna pull up pipe and see if oil comes out of the up pipe or the headers when she runs (should be very loud lol)
And perform a leak down
I’ll take pics tomorrow of setup I was trying to leave my shop it was late.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just gotta remember the block aos feed is sump breather, not the central crankcase vent which should feed the balance pipes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts