Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
GF OBS-T, GM RS EJ20, SF EJ20
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading that the turbo pull clutch disc was a cheap upgrade for n/a clutch set-ups due to the disc being thicker.

Looking into this a bit the clutch diameters are the same for n/a & turbo clutch discs @ 8 7/8", spline / input shaft diameter are the same so it looks like it may work.

Does this make sense?
Has anyone run a turbo disc on an n/a clutch setup?
Was it an upgrade?

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
If the diameter is the same, the performance will be the same, assuming the disk material is the same

Thicker disk may prevent the pressure plate from fully releasing, as the disks have offsets to them. As a result, may also prematurely wear the flywheel

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I read this in sport compact car about 100000 years ago when tech info was decent but not always correct apparently pretty sure it was mentioned in one of the 'project rs' issues.

If info was correct I figured the thicker disk increased the pressure plate's clamping ability slightly.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I do run a JDM WRX tranny on my OBS-T.

My '03 Legacy L-SE is 5 SPD & I put an oem replacement exedy clutch disc / p-plate / LW flywheel combo in it about 10,000 miles ago.

I was wondering if i should have used a turbo disk instead of the na disk.

·
Registered
1996 imp jdm ej20 NA dohc swap
400 Posts
I do run a JDM WRX tranny on my OBS-T.

My '03 Legacy L-SE is 5 SPD & I put an oem replacement exedy clutch disc / p-plate / LW flywheel combo in it about 10,000 miles ago.

I was wondering if i should have used a turbo disk instead of the na disk.
For future reference, on any push style trans, you can run an 06 push style clutch, you would use the style of throwout bearing from your car and your original clutch fork. It all bolts up and works as my brother has an 05 rs with delta 2000 cams and a 06 stock wrx clutch.

This would be a better set up than just trying to swap over a turbo disk.

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
the better setup is to use the 06 fork as well, given that the RS one is so prone to disintegrating during spirited use (since it has nothing but open spaces)

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f8/3088619-post4.html

The turbo to NA clutch size is 3mm (228mm vs 225). The disks are also a different thickness (9 inch vs 8 7/8). All info posted on Exedy's site. They also use different slaves and different flywheels

So I don't think it's as easy as just swapping disks and retaining everything else.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I know about the 2.5l gd wrx style clutch but as z1 performance states there is more to the conversion than just a clutch swap which may be an issue for some folks.

I was hoping for a small upgrade that folks can do when swapping out their old clutch...

·
Impreza Actual
2001 RS-T
1,304 Posts
Garrett talks about it in his youtube vlog. He has the STi clutch and RS pressure plate.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
I was not able to use my 06wrx act 6puck with my exedy stg1 pressure plate (na push style) due to 3pucks coming in contact with the tabs on the pressure plate. The full face disc i can't say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts