Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wassup guys I just recently picked up a 05’rs did hella research to find out the engines “aren’t really made to be boosted” but I hear some people say they run 5-10psi without killing them selves. Im planning on building the motor reguardless. but is it even worth it to put a turbo?

·
Registered
1995 EZ30 Coupe
545 Posts
In my opinion, yes. Turbo is always worth it. Adding 5-10 psi to a non-turbo car makes a world of difference. With proper management (intercooling, add fuel/pull timing relative to boost), your motor will probably survive 5 psi without sacrificing any reliability or longevity at all. 10 psi would be the reasonable limit and would certainly increase the rate of wear and tear on the engine. With a built motor, obviously the sky (wallet) is the limit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my opinion, yes. Turbo is always worth it. Adding 5-10 psi to a non-turbo car makes a world of difference. With proper management (intercooling, add fuel/pull timing relative to boost), your motor will probably survive 5 psi without sacrificing any reliability or longevity at all. 10 psi would be the reasonable limit and would certainly increase the rate of wear and tear on the engine. With a built motor, obviously the sky (wallet) is the limit.
yea because tbh no matter what I was gonna put a turbo I already have a Acura TSX 2011 so this is really the “project/Daily” lol I just wanted to get and idea of how much boost to push on it although 20psi sound so lovely i know I would be risking the engine and why by a car to let it sit. Any turbo kit recommendations?

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
Well since you have a GD impreza why not supercharge?

Unless you throw something together yourself there isnt much in the way of a kit.

You can get up and down pipes here. They should fit without issue but they are made for 93-01 imprezas so there might be slight differences.

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
"Regardless" of this being a project car or not, start with a WRX if you want to play with a turbo.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
"Regardless" of this being a project car or not, start with a WRX if you want to play with a turbo.

Honestly I dont know how much that gets you any more. If you get a used WRX with >100K and it is still on the stock engine then you would have to rebuild the shortblock and turbo at some point. The brakes may or may not need to be replaced and the struts should be replaced. Most of the major differences between the two would probably need to be replaced.

Now if you find a WRX that is already modified and had most of these items already replaced that would be a different story. You can find nicely modded WRXs for not a whole lot of money.

I guess it depends on what you want and what your ability is to work on your our stuff.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,795 Posts
If you have a GD, sell it and buy a factory turbo. It's not worth the headache to turbo a factory N/A car when you can just buy one put together by the factory.

·
Banned
2001 Impreza 2.5RS+T 2001 Legacy GT
1,236 Posts
Honestly I dont know how much that gets you any more. If you get a used WRX with >100K and it is still on the stock engine then you would have to rebuild the shortblock and turbo at some point. The brakes may or may not need to be replaced and the struts should be replaced. Most of the major differences between the two would probably need to be replaced.

Now if you find a WRX that is already modified and had most of these items already replaced that would be a different story. You can find nicely modded WRXs for not a whole lot of money.

I guess it depends on what you want and what your ability is to work on your our stuff.
Honestly it gets you a whole lot. Because you start with a car that is already turbocharged, you can upgrade the go fast bits. Instead of having to upgrade shit to support the go fast bits before you've even bought them.

Knowing what I know from this site, doing what I've done to my car, I'd prefer to start with a 500,000 mile WRX than a 50,000 mile 2.5RS; if my entire plan was to have a turbocharged project car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts