Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

It finally happened, after a year long search I found an RS!

I ended up selling my 2002 Civic Si to a buddy of mine from work for a buddy price and the day after this gem popped up on Craigslist. I immediately contacted the owner approximately 15 minutes after the ad went up, arranged to have a ride to the car, and drove out the next morning and had the car in my possession by 9:00am.

The car runs very nicely for its age and needs a little tlc here and there but I'm super stoked that I picked up such a clean RS and now that I'm in MAF based RS, I'm starting to look at the 05i manifold swap a little bit more seriously.

Anyway, on to some pictures with both of my red coupes (L is the daily, RS will be the princess.) I'll be updating the thread in the next couple days with my immediate plans for the car but right now I need to focus on finishing up the semester! After that, and after the holidays I really hope to slowly piece this beauty together!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449006940.200403.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449006953.624007.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449006970.048575.jpg

All the best!

Max

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well a little update on the car:

I ended up going to autozone and getting some codes pulled to see why I have a CEL.

So I currently have:

P0302 cylinder 2 misfire
P0325 knock sensor 1 circuit malfunction
P0463 fuel level sensor ?A? Circuit High

tomorrow morning I am taking the car to a buddy's shop before they open and we are going to see what we can do about these codes and what needs to be fixed

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Also, I have finally compiled a list of things I would like to do to my car (keep in mind that I am still enrolled in school and only work part time so things will be budget friendly-ish).

Exterior

Accord Rear Spats
Rally Armor Mud flaps (or something similar that wont crack during the winter)
Home depot front lip
DIY Amber Corners with LED 194 Bulbs
LED Headlights
Replace/figure out what is going on with passenger fog
35% tints with front windshield strip
Red tail light spray
2 Yellow Laminex fog Lights mounted on either side of the license plate on the 98 RS bumper

Interior

Weighted shift knob (heavier than stock and undecided on brand atm)
Ebay short shifter
Upgraded shifter brushings to fix shifter slop
Trim accordion shift cover to accommodate shorter shifter
WRX pedals
LED interior lights
White gauge cluster light mod
possible 04-05 wrx seats
newer style 3-spoke subaru oem steering wheel
broadway mirror
something to strap down subwoofer in trunk
dynomat parts of the trunk (prevent bass rattle)

Suspension

WRX front brakes w/ h6 brakes in rear
AGX struts w/ H&R springs (after stock blow, however, they ride pretty nice at the moment)
17x7 rota torques w/ 215/45/17 tires (down the line)
25mm Tribeca Front Sway Bar (hope the rep borla's will clear this or visa versa)
20mm wrx Rear Sway Bar
04 Volkswagon Passat Front to Rear Endlink Mod

Engine/Performance

EJ25D w/ headgaskets done 40k ago
ebay piping with maf sensor to torque box (will cover ebay piping and torque box with reflective peel on stuff to reduce heat soaking)
ebay borla rep headers (just purchased from Beauchemin today!) will also be coating headers with 2-3 coats of hi temp ceramic paint, then soaking header wrap in ceramic high paint and wrapping them on the headers after)
stromung single hfc (will also be wrapped as well)
stainless steel midpipe and resonator to [undecided catback] [looking at apexi n1, espelir jgt 500, stomung dual/single tip, or magnaflow # 14816]
MSD Coil upgrade
Grimmspeed 8mm phenolic spacers
Area1320 or similar throttle body spacer
Grounding kit
Delta 1500 cams

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well got a report from the doctor today!

So along with the current codes my buddy recommended that I do a needed tune up to get the car running mint. He did comment that the head gaskets are fine but there is some leaking near the valve cover so I have compiled a list of things that I need to do.

1. Spark Plugs: NGK-BKR5EVKB-11
2. Oil change w/ 5w-30 (undecided on brand, probably will run a GTX conventional) w/ OEM filter
3. Replace front diff/transmission fluid, along with the rear diff (recommendations for tranny blend?)
4. MSD Coil upgrade with Phase 2 wires
5. Timing Belt, Water Pump, Valve Cover done (along with any seals needed)
6. Passenger CV Boot is torn so that will need to be replaced

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New plans for the car:

Slowly gathering parts to tackle a power steering pump replacement and do the timing cover and seals.

After that I've got some plans for the dohc build, chances are i'll post in the NA Forum and see what people think about it.

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update! Got a set of crystal headlights!

Just need to get those Eric eBay crystal Amber corners!

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, just wanted to bring this back from the dead and update you guys on my plans for the car! I've created a couple threads regarding the EJ22D turbo and after doing some reading and looking around (thanks Beauchemin for all the advice) I decided that it would be plenty quick for what I would expect out of the car without going for a tranny replacement. Thay being said I'll follow up with everything I have sorted out for my build plan and how I plan on doing things in parts to ensure reliability and a one and done approach cause I wanna get this right the first time

·
Registered
25 Posts
Car looks awesome! Congrats on the pick up and I'm also located in Mass as well. Took me such a long time to find my RS which is my first car :]

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Car looks awesome! Congrats on the pick up and I'm also located in Mass as well. Took me such a long time to find my RS which is my first car :]
awesome man! what part of mass are you in? and any plans for your RS? What year?

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I had a huge essay on everything that I wanted to do with this car and it somehow got deleted so here I go again. :/

(x) means I've got it.

EJ25D Heads and Intake manifold (x)
EJ22E Bottom End out of Auto 90-94 Legacy/Impreza because of EGR
EJ222 Headgasket
Oil Return and Oil Feed Lines, Coolant also, etc.
JDM IACV
MAP Check Valve?
Intake Manifold Spacers (x)
TB Spacers if there is room, not crazy for it ATM
93-01 Dodge Neon Coilpack (x)
Phase 2 Wires and WRX or similar colder spark plugs
06-07 WRX TMIC and BPV b/c of MAF
EJ25D Oil Pump (x)
06-07 WRX Water Pump
EJ25D Timing Belt and gasket kit
Notch Crossmember or swap in WRX Crossmember (I also have 2010 WRX Front and Rear Sways that I would like to use if possible, I know I can use the Rear but Front depends on Crossmember)
Outback Alternator (going to need to splice the housing)
Grounding Kit
FMU 3:1 or 6:1
05 WRX Fuel Pump (x)
TD05-16g preferred or TD04 :/
STI/WRX Uppipe (prefer cat less)
STI/WRX Downpipe or 3in Downpipe (which mouth to match TD05-16g)
2005 STI Headers (catless)
Midpipe
Axleback (x) (y cutout near front of Axleback flange, paired with GMS catback) (x)
Intake
Clutch and Flywheel

I plan on installing the motor in phase 1 without any turbo modifications but still tapping the heads and installing the colder spark plugs and fuel pump and fmu, would I have any issues dailying the car in this state to break it in for the turbo parts down the road?

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going to look at a parts car tomorrow. 1999 Outback Sport! I should be able to use the Phase 2 EJ22 bottom end with my phase 1 ej25d no problem yeah? Obviously for boost but I've been seeing some crazy info online saying that the ej22 in 99/00 is pretty much a downsized ej251 and I won't get a lower compression by using the short block

·
Registered
1998 Impreza 2.5 RS
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still getting the parts car with the EJ222, it's coming with a lot of goodies so stay tuned for that.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts