Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone steer me in the right direction please, I have installed a JDM import EJ254 DOHC into my 2001 Legacy in place of the EJ25 SOHC, need help with the ECU. The 254 was from a AT tranny and I had a MT in my legacy. the engine harness on the 254 has a extra large connector heading tward the tranny, it will turn over but not start. I looked at the post from Bradon on switching wires but that is way over my head.

Ron Triano

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
you're gonna have to pony up some money and send the two wiring harsnesses to iwire, or get cozy with them in your living room with a laptop handy and brydon's how to pulled up.

no JDM engine will bolt in and crank up. the wiring is different.

·
I ❤ BOOBIES
99 Coupe
17,030 Posts
Can anyone steer me in the right direction please, I have installed a JDM import EJ254 DOHC into my 2001 Legacy in place of the EJ25 SOHC, need help with the ECU. The 254 was from a AT tranny and I had a MT in my legacy. the engine harness on the 254 has a extra large connector heading tward the tranny, it will turn over but not start. I looked at the post from Bradon on switching wires but that is way over my head.

Ron Triano
1- Theres no such thing as a EJ254. The motor you have is an EJ25D, just like our DOHC EJ25. Search around for EJ25D swaps into single cam cars, that will get you moving in the right direction.

2-Post a picture of the plug your talking about

·
Registered
99RS 207 V9 AW
1,285 Posts
EJ254
2005–present - DOHC with 175 hp (130 kW)
Usage:
Impreza RS 02~04
Forester 04
Legacy/Outback 02~04, 05-present
Legacy Lancaster RHD 1999-2003

·
Registered
331 Posts
What year is the engine? Because early EJ251s had a different crank/cam trigger than later ones, so good chance your engine is the same way if its a 99-00.

Did you swap ecus? Need a bit more info please.. but you should have swapped over your original intake manifold if you kept stock ecu. Ill see if I can dig up a manual and help you out, shouldn't be too hard. My money is on crank/cam triggers though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oh, herp derp.. DOHC is Coil on Plug and SOHC is wasted spark. You're either going to have to swap ecus, and redo wiring to suite OR swap intake manifold and convert to waste spark. Either way its going to take custom wiring.. No luck digging up a manual yet, but you will need that absolutely. Just the ECM I/O would work.

If your SOHC heads are any good then you should consider swapping those. Then you will be good to go with no more work needed. I'd be really interested in those DOHC heads and manifold ..

Edit- Well it looks like they had both early 254s with waste spark, and old style crank/cam triggers, and a newer style with COP and avcs and new triggers. So does your motor have a coil pack and plug wires? If so you need a new cam gear and 1 wrx cam pulley. If NOT then you need a lot more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts