Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2004 WRX Sti
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I got the 2004 WRX STI as mentioned in another thread.
I'm reading and trying to absorb as much as I can & time allows so I can ask some not too embarrassing questions.
I know next to nothing about that car and the 1st confusion is arising as to what the heck do I have under the hood?.Owner's manual is showing a different layout.
I have OEM shop manual, looked through ken-gilbert.com and still don't know.
Is it because it's modified?, I see some pressure gauges and things that I don't see in any of the materials so far, not that I've been very systematic..
I know it's going to take some learning curve, I'm OK with that, being in a repair field (industrial and consumer electronics) my whole life where I meet challenges every day I'm looking forward to that new experience.
I'm wrenching on my two LRs pretty often not letting a mechanic close to them (except for welding).
So here is the picture of what I have, waiting for your input.
The car is still at the auction yard, waiting for the title to clear, when I have it in my place I can supply with more detailed pics.
Shop Photos by kaztronics | Photobucket
thanks

·
Backroad Warrior
97 LGT, 02 OBS, 99 OBS
2,456 Posts
Youve got a front mount intercooler instead of a stock topmount. Thats what I can see from the photo.

·
aka obs111
2004 WRB WRX
970 Posts
^ How in the heck can you guys see the turbo inlet and a boost controller from that photo? I agree with the front mount. Looks like you might have a blow off valve as well. I can't confirm the turbo inlet and boost controller, though. I would need to see a better photo. From what I can see, though, looks like you may have some work on your hands.

·
aka obs111
2004 WRB WRX
970 Posts
how can you not :lol: hope they aren't driving it like that!
On my computer, the picture is super blurry. Can't really tell if there is one there or not. Besides the FMIC piping, everything just kind of blends together.

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
What's that sitting under the intercooling piping near the boost controller? The intake?

·
Registered
2004 WRX Sti
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys for chipping in.
Although it seems operational I'm going to tow it in, after of what I heard from you.
Then I start the proper investigation, sorry to give a rather blurry representation.

·
Registered
2000 2.5 RS-T srp sedan
2,732 Posts
cobb goodies..like exhaust maybe

·
Registered
2004 WRX Sti
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
reading some more..,
so FMIC, rotated ASP(?) turbo & who knows what more, did I buy myself a race car?:banana:

·
I kill threads!
2000 Ver 6 STI - 1996 Gravel Express
3,749 Posts
that or a ticking time bomb. All depends how they did it all. Also hear the APS manifolds like to crack.

·
Registered
2004 WRX Sti
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
an update (I hate when a thread goes 'cold'):
Flushed the cooling system multiple times (including Cascade and 50/50 H2O/vinegar- I know, I know, some of you will cringe), Cascade definitely did perform. I got a fairly clean water after a few 'bare' flushes, after I added Cascade, I couldn't believe how much black stuff came out, for 3-4 flushes and still more after H2O/vinegar.
In total probably close to 20, but now it looks good.
I'm about to put the coolant proper in (new thermostat too).
Checked again the coolant pressure (with STANT 255A gauge) with engine running and it builds slowly up to about 17psi and drops about 5-6psi after fans kick in, no increase when I revved the engine)

I did also a 'sniffer' test that came negative, so it was a whole 9yards of HGs health testing:
-compression;
-leakdown;
-coolant pressure (static & dynamic);
and finally the sniffer.
So I'm coming to conclusion it must have been a pissed off girlfriend or a wife that poured oil into the cooling system, 'cause feeling neglected because of the car
Still have some reservations and wouldn't be surprise if oil appear again after some hard driving..
Now getting ready to flush the rest.

more updating:
Tuning, not there yet but closer and closer.
-chasing a small boost leak. Have to do intake manifold yet. Exhaust looks tight.
-took out MAF yesterday and it was veeery dirty;
-when doing boost leak test I found a lot of oily grime in the sleeve (that I took out) connecting cold air intake to the turbo, that made me looking for AOS or OCCs (I think I'll go for Saikou Michi OCC)
-got myself AEM A/F gauge ;
-waiting for EGT and BOOST gauges (AEM as well).
-COBB A3-SUB-002 on the way;
-replaced front O2 sensor (had CEL P0031);
-did AVCS modification as per Subaru TSB (both filters dropped), idle is much better after that;
-did all the flushes (almost) and fluid changes.

I'm trying comprehensive approach and be ready for tuning without any kinks.
Learning a lot in the process and enjoying it thoroughly!

·
Registered
The subaru of many acronyms
1,919 Posts
or maybe some oil change shop went full retard and put oil in the coolant overflow lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts