Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my trunk floor isnt flat. the spare tire creates a bump in the floor. am i missing a piece of my trunk? when i took off the mat thing i saw a large piece of sound deadening material and then a board the size of the spare tire on top of just the spare tire. i feel like i am missing something to keep my trunk level. can someone take pics of their trunk or something for me?

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Wow, I havent had a spare or the particle board thingy in my trunk for like 2 years. Kinda looks odd to see a "normal" trunk ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the pics. i found out whats wrong. there was a big dent where the spare tire is. it was makin it so that the spare tire was poking out. i took a mallet and mashed it back in place. now its fine. thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2000 Subaru Impreza RS coupe -
2,362 Posts
Sweetness. Good that you fixed it. It's fun as hell to beat shit with a hammer.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had to do the same 'repair' to my wagon.

I had a friend helping me change my tires to my auto-x wheels and he asked me where to jack up my car in the back. AI told him to jack it up on the diff. the next thing i know he had jacked my car up on the spair tire well. and made the bottom about level.

:curse: :boxer: So after i showed him where the rear diff was i started to work with the hammer.

Some people :confused:

Oh well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
wow, what a bloody f'ing idiot. you jack your car up on the rear diff? i usually do it on the tow hooks or some other part that is not a part of the drivetrain. it puts a lot fo stress on the diff having half the cars weight suspended on it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
the guys at primitave jack it up on the skid plate that covers the rear diff and the diff is strong enuff to take being jacked up on. my dad has been doing it for years on all of his 4-wheel race cars so i have never tought other wise

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah my car is a salvage rebuild. lots of little quirks and such to work out but im still lovin my car.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
There is nothing wrong with useing the rear diff as a jack point. Just try to prevent metal to metal contack if you can.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,848 Posts
STI-R said:
does any one think that cardboard thing in the trunk is flimsy?

mines is all bent up!
i lost mine. along with the spare and the little tool kit. don't ask. i can't even begin to remember what the hell i did with any of it.:crazy:

-brian

·
4 please, to go.
Ver 7 STi GC, elderly L
3,623 Posts
RS25.com said:
I jack mine up by the rear diff and no problems. So far! :lol:
I do as well. The only possible problem i can see is that it compresses the rubber isolaters on the trunk side of the diff quite a bit. I don't think it damages them, but you def don't want to have the pressure there for too long, best to use jackstands. There's no real stress on the drivetrain because you're lifting up the end of it, not the middle. Also, the driveshaft u joint is made to flex in that direction. Just don't be jacking the car up by the tranny.:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts