Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 99RS for a few days now, unfortunately, I have a problem with it... actually two problems (the second being a minor one).

My back kills while sitting in the seats. I've tried adjusting, using pillows, orthopaedic cushions, everything! I can't stand being in the car because it hurts so bad. It's like someone took a rubber mallet and pounded the base of my spine. Strangely, I did notice it on the test drive, but the drive wans't long enough for it to seem like a problem.

Has anyone else expirenced back pain in their RS seats? I personally haven't read anywhere that the seats are uncomfortable. I wonder if it's just me.

I've decided that buying new seats for it is my best option. Used MY02 2.5RS or WRX seats are my choice. I took long test drives in them and both times I mentioned to the person with me that the seats were great.

Oh, the other minor problem is that over 60mph the drivers side mirror whistles...loudly. The passenger side does not.

It's too bad I can't sit in the RS. It drives so wonderfully and is very fun.

·
13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
5,532 Posts
I've never experienced either one of those problems, although I have heard about lots of people with the wistling mirror. I wonder if they changed the mirrors for the MY00? I have back problems sometimes, but never in my RS, and I've taken several 3+ hour drives with it. So, yeah, maybe new seats would be the best option for you. Just sit in them first and make sure they don't give you a problem. Especailly if you are talking about getting the WRX seats, since they are also Subaru seats. They might not fit you right, either.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
I have the whistling mirror problem on my '95 L, and I don't know how to fix it. Mine does it mainly when the windows are all up. I remember seeing a thread about it over on the i-club, so maybe you could do a search. I just turn up the music or roll down the window! As far as the back pain, I know how it feels but that's one of the reasons I bought my car! To me, they are the most comfortable car seats I've ever had! I used to get bad pain from my other cars, but never from the Subaru, even on all the 9+ hour drives I've done in the last year! However, I do like the WRX seats, though; they seem to have more support but are a little less cushy. I guess it depends on what you need. The only RS seats I have sat in are the ones in my friend's '98, and they are leather, so it's a little bit different, but I'd reccomend finding an L somewhere near you and seeing how they feel. You could always take the skins off of your stock ones and swap them! :D

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
Believe it or not, I have the same problem with the seats, only in my Typhoon. The RS Seats are like heaven to me! However, I am kind of tall - 6' 4" - so maybe that has something to do with it.

As far as the mirror, that does not sound right. However, you might check and make sure it's bolted on all the way. If it's loose, or mis-adjusted, that *might* be an issue?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I had someone come to me with the same problem but in reverse. I traded my '00 RS seats for '02 RS seats because the guy was complaining about how they ( the '02 seats)felt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I haven't had any problems like that in my 99 RS. But I hate the damb clutch, the flywheel is the worst of it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
yep, my stock seats made my lower back hurt after a few hours. Now i have a drivers side Recaro, great lumbar support!

Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
the RS seats were nice and seemed like it would be good but after a long drive, the become uncomfortable for some reason. I got some 02' seats which has next to no lumbar support but feel generaly better than the RS seats. I think I can live with them until I get some STi seats or Recaro seats :drool: :drool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fixed my problem!

I found someone who was selling their WRX seats and bought them from him. Great price too. $300 for both front seats!

I was really lucky too. The seats are in absoultely perfect condition and the feel great on my back. No more uncomfortable ride.

I put my RS seats in giant plastic bags and have them stored until I figure out what I wish to do with them. I suppose they could be sold, but I hate to break up the original equipment of my RS. Who knows, someday I may sell this car and it's always nice to have everything from it for the next owner.

But for now, I'm crusin' around in comfort and thinking of my NEXT upgrade...hmm... what should it be?...cartboy short shifter, new exhaust, clear sidemarkers/corners and tail lights?....I guess that would require a different thread..... :)

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Great! Did they bolt directly in or did you have to change anything?:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They bolted on perfectly with no problem. Everything lines up. The only thing I had to change was the seatbelt latch which the attachment is directly compatible with my old one. So, with one bolt to unscrew, I switched them.

By the way, I_H8_1.8, when I was at the dealer I asked about my whistling mirror...they couldn't help me with my problem, but they've heard about your issue of hearing it while your window is up. Check the corner molding of the window directly next to the mirror. They said that makes the whitsling noise and just to adjust it.

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
Thanks for the info on the mirror! I appreciate that! I'll have to try and adjust it, if I can figure out how to; did they say anything about that? I thought about replacing the weatherstripping around the door, but the price was somewhat prohibitive, especially since I can just turn up the stereo!:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
only problem i've ever had with my seats 01 rs.. is that my butt falls asleep after about an hour of driving.. but when i'm in the passenger seat *which isn't often* for long drives i'm peachy keen..

later

·
Registered
MY00 Impreza 2.5RS, Aspen Whit
150 Posts
I have been having that problem in my 2000 RS. I think I know where the whisling is coming from. I acctually think that it is coming from the B pillar or the one by your head, at the window. The front corner of the window doesn't roll up all the way unless the door is open. Try stopping your car and roll the window down and up with your door open. Mine is getting to the point that I can see light peaking out the back. Also the Front corner rolles up and stops with about an inch left to go. I think that there is some gook in the door that the window is sliding against and the moter of the window is not powerful enough to roll it all the way up without help. I will check it out this weekend and let you all know what happens.

·
Ntseg Muag!
SRP MY00 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
518 Posts
are the RS's seats that bad...givin all the back pain..? i'm just wandering since i'm gonna get me a RS myself....i've sat in them and they seem comfortable to me....

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
I've done several long (18-25 hr) drives and had no problems. I just set the cruise and go. If I start to get sore I losen my 4pt a bit and wiggle :).

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
I get lower back pain from my RS seats. I wish there was lumbar support in them. Do the 02 seats have a lumbar support? I am going to start looking for new seats and was also wondering what seats are better for a smaller frame.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've got leather seats in my RS and when it's hot out, you gat swamp ass and your pants stick to you.:curse:

Damn you, swamp ass!!:curse:

I've never gotten pain in my back though. A good tip is to angle your rear view mirror so that you have to sit completely erect to view everything fully. Don't know if you have bad driving posture, but if you do, that will definitely make the lower back hurt. The mirror trick forces you to keep good posture.

-mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts