Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been gone over a thousand times but I cant find a good thread on it. The car has been popping out of every gear and now it finally won't go into any gear and cannot be driven. Does this seem more like trans or clutch??

·
Registered
97 Posts
The deal is when then clutch fails it just slips and slips, no popping out.

"Poppin out" seems more of a synchros bad. Is there any asbestos smell? and I mean a lot similar as when someone drives with the e-brake engaged.

A very bad clutch the car will not start. Another question, Does the gears go in when the car is not running? You are suppose to clearly hear the engagement on every gear. A bad flywheel will be not engaging in any gear, but once in that gear will stay there, and not kick out. Mostly on flywheels that are very worn on performance clutches and there is too much gap or an incorrect [wrong clearance] fw (Dont ask how I know, je je).

I would say is more a bad trans.

·
Premium Member
00 RS, 14 Forester, 92 SVX
1,577 Posts
There was a TSB on 2000 Impreza and Foresters for the main shaft nut backing off. This caused the car to pop out of 5th gear, though I suppose if you let it keep going it could affect the other forward gears. Took some digging, but I found my post from 2002 on NASIOC about it.

TSB number is 03-48-99 from July 1999

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did some googling and all coincide on a shifter problem, which now that I remember one of my car did something similar when the shifter bushings went bad.

Here is a writeup from Toyota, Toyota Tacoma manual transmission pop out of gear? Here's the simple fix!.

It seems the repair is easier than it seems. The key note is that it fails in all gears. On one of my cars with 5 speed tranny it would happen once accelerating as the pulling and pushing of the engine would throw out the gear as the shifter had too much play and not firm enough.

See if he/ she would lent you the car for a day or so to take to a mechanic for inspection, or simply you do it yourself and verify all parts from the tranny to shifter.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
00 RS, 14 Forester, 92 SVX
1,577 Posts
The Subaru shifter pivot pocket is nylon, not rubber. If it was broken, it'd be pretty obvious, likewise if the shifter bushing on the side of the tranny is in pieces/missing.

If it shifts normally (when it does) I'd expect something wrong with the clutch or the shift rods/forks in the tranny. You can get a good condition used tranny for like $500 and it's all of about 9 bolts and two roll pins to change a tranny out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.