Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I just got my subaru a few months ago. I have a issue with my car or it might just be me. But here goes anyways.

It would seem that my first gear is very rough. I figured I have go get use to driving this car or something, but after driving it for a few months I still have the same problem.

Yes this is my first manual car, but I've been driving my b-friends manual Talon Tsi for a long time. Both cars are all wheel drive, but I can drive his car super smooth.

I wanted to know if anyone else had this kinda problem with there 2002 rs?

My first gear is rough sometimes but fine on other times. Even my b-friend has trouble driving my car smooth.

any help would be great.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
You'll have to describe "rough" a little better. Hard to actually move the shifter into 1st? Or hard to drive smoothly once 1st is engaged?

·
Registered
2004 Forester XTi
1,005 Posts
I'm sure by using better tranny and rear diff fluid, you'll have better overall shifting and the way you drive. Look here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/gearoil/index.html

Keep a note, the Redline MT-90 fluid is a GL-4 fluid (stock fluid is GL-5) so you will get harder shifts. I had the MT-90 in my car for 8000 miles and hated it. I thought it was normal until I went with the lightweight shockproof oil for the tranny and 75W90ns for the rear diff. It made a world of a difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brand new car though???

It's a new car though? Kinda strange to me. also does that mean that the transmission is week in our car?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rough meaning when I'm engauged in first then start to move. The car would shake some times but not other. I work in Richmond of Vancouver B.C. all flat road. So my clutch work doesn't really change much, so it's strange why my car would shake like it's about to stall when I pretty much drive the same way over and over again?

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
I think maybe you're talking about clutch shudder. It's when you're getting ready to pull away from a stop and you're letting the clutch out. The car shakes and generally just makes a shuddering sound. Usually happens when it's colder out. Is this what you're talking about?

·
Registered
93 Posts
The new age Impreza's get bad clutch shudder I'm told! Alot of guys/gals are getting them warrentied.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That it!

So how does warranty work in these kinda situations? What do I tell the service advisor?
I got them to check it out and they say it's fine

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had that same problem on my MY98 RS2.5 for a few years, I wish I had known this then. I just assumed it was my own fault because I was rough on the clutch early in the cars life, I guess I was wrong.

Anyway the problem went away this year when I replaced the clutch and flywheel so I'd imagine the problem is in there somewhere. I always found the best thing to do was add an extra 1000 rpm's when taking off before the car was warmed up, that would prevent the shudder.

·
Registered
2000 BRP RS coupe
351 Posts
Watsonpa said:

Anyway the problem went away this year when I replaced the clutch and flywheel so I'd imagine the problem is in there somewhere. I always found the best thing to do was add an extra 1000 rpm's when taking off before the car was warmed up, that would prevent the shudder.
:eek:

Whoa! You're talking about 2 - 3k rpm launchs on a semi-regular basis? For normal driving that's a little much. Not that shudder doesn't bother me, but I can live with it if the for longer clutch life.

Whitemagic, I'm not sure about the newer body style, but SOA never covered GC8 clutch shudder because "it didn't affect performance." So you might just have to call SOA and bitch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah maybe 2.5k or so but not really on a regular basis. Generally it only happened in cold weather when the car was just started. It would take 1-3 launches like this to keep it from happening. I agree it's not a good thing but I always figured a little clutch wear was better than my whole car shaking like heroin addict. ;)

The only thing I regret about the situation was not looking into better parts when my clutch went, I'm a complete newbie to modding so I did the dumbest thing I could do.. had it replaced at the dealership with stock parts. :(

If I had the benefit of the knowledge I have now I would have gotten a better clutch and lightweight flywheel and had them installed at a trans shop. Oh well, such is life.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Extreme Shaking

The problem is it's just at ramdom. It shakes loud. It seems like the engine is shaking like mad. just for 1 second before I clutch. After I clutch and start again it's fine. Is it a issue of not warming up? It's happened when my boyfriend drives it. He's stumped too. Dealer wants me to prove it.... but because it's random I have no idea what I can do?

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1999 Impreza 2.5RS, Rally Blue
93 Posts
I get that when I'm starting out with a cold engine... I've done the extra RPM launch a few times, but I don't want to kill the clutch, but the shake is really bad!
I cant wait for the warmth of summer to take it away.
P.S. I'm in Ontario Canada, so it's still a bit cool in the mornings ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts