Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I just got my subaru a few months ago. I have a issue with my car or it might just be me. But here goes anyways.

It would seem that my first gear is very rough. I figured I have go get use to driving this car or something, but after driving it for a few months I still have the same problem.

Yes this is my first manual car, but I've been driving my b-friends manual Talon Tsi for a long time. Both cars are all wheel drive, but I can drive his car super smooth.

I wanted to know if anyone else had this kinda problem with there 2002 rs?

My first gear is rough sometimes but fine on other times. Even my b-friend has trouble driving my car smooth.

any help would be great.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
Sad to say but a used RS clutch/tranny even if babied by the previous owner is not the best to work with for starters.

For "our" AWD system I would recommend you release the clutch pedal a little SLOWER after each gear change.

Hopefully there is no pre-existing damage to the first gear.

--------
A few thing you could do to possibly make it some what better:
Adjusted the clutch pedal travel.
Bleed or change the clutch fluid.
Change the tranny fluid [do the differential also while you are at it].

---------
Also,
-Talk to the previous owner if known.
-Do you have a maintenance history of the car.
-What's your mileage. [If no history do the closest MAJOR service]
-Did you get the car checked out by a mechanic familar with Subarus either before or after your purchase.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The problem is in the way the transmission is engineered and manufactured, all the new cars do it that I know of. It’s not going to bust, or wear out any sooner. If it bugs you swap out the gear oil in the trans and diff. with good synthetic racing oil like Royal Purple or Red Line. I did it to mine and it made a HUGE difference. It doesn’t grind in and out of first and it goes into to reverse like butter just for starters.

L8R

J

·
Registered
98 2.5RS Rally Blue Pearl
396 Posts
whitemagic said:
The car was bought brand new
Ooops..I ASSumed it was previously owned. :eek:

Our box is kinda weird, try shifting slow, deliberate, and gently, don't rush or force engagement.
If still not happy then maybe try a different gear oil. I ran Redline for a while but went back to regular oil after 25K miles and I can't tell any difference. Go figure....
Good luck:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts