Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5rs stm
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my subaru for only a short while, but very recently i've been noticing a significant amount of noise coming from the transmission. More specifically, it seems to be a sort of scrapping metal sound, not so much grinding. With that said, I know only enough about cars to know I really don't know anything. I've been told by the previous owner the clutch was replaced about 20k ago. I have no problems driving a manual, I've never dumped the clutch, and I've only burned the clutch once to my knowledge (it was a stop on a steep hill and it was the first day I had the car). The tranny has 96k on it. At first I thought it was the cv axel/joint, but the boots like and feel fine. The noise seems to come mainly when i'm accelerating. Sometimes there's a random pop or scrunk (??) and usually happens in 1st or 2nd. The power steering belt was loose a few days ago. I tightened that, and I think I may have over tightened it, as when I drove it the next day I would hear an occasional chirp from the belt when accelerating, so I loosened it up a bit. It feels to be about the same tension as the other belt. The general metal scrapping noise does seem somewhat intermittant, there are a few times where it's quite as ever and I just hear a solid engine pull (usually going into third). 4th & 5th don't seem to give me as much problems or noise, but this could be do to road/wind noise. Finally, I really don't feel any power loss or hesitation when its making this noise, which really confuses me.

Sorry for the long post, I just figure if I'm going to tell you my problem I should tell you everything I have noticed that could relate to the matter. Thanks in advance to those who actually read through this whole thing.

·
Premium Member
Donk It.
1,696 Posts
Does it make the noise once you're in gear an accelerating, or when you shift into gear?

What year/model subaru?

If it's making the noise while accelerating (already in gear, clutch out) then it might just be a heat shield on your exhaust rattling. Try revving in your driveway without moving to see if you can replicate the sound.

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5rs stm
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise comes from acceleration, gear entry/exit and clutch release feel smoothe.
Sorry about that, its a 2000 rs.
I'll give that a try, but I've never noticed the sound when revving. I also thought it might be my cc, but it doesn't really sound like catalyst rattling around or anything. (my old honda sounded like someone was shaking a spray paint bottle under my car)

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5rs stm
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried revving it, no sound whatsoever. It definantly sounds like metal scraping together. I'm still get a bit of a belt squeek, I guess I haven't gotten the right tension on that either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
MikeyP said:
I tried revving it, no sound whatsoever. It definantly sounds like metal scraping together. I'm still get a bit of a belt squeek, I guess I haven't gotten the right tension on that either.
Its hard to tell from your desciption whether you are talking about synchro's grinding, gear noise, or wheel bearings. Try changing your transmission fluid. Its as easy as changing the oil and the drain plug is about a foot away from the oil pan plug. See the other post about Scotty's cocktail. This service is rarely done by most car owners and can really make a difference. Should run you about $40 if you do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
95 L, 96 OUTBACK
2,883 Posts
Ya I would have to agree. It might be the transmission but it sounds like it could be in the wheel bearings maybe even the ball joints or tie rods.

Does the sound change with speed or engine RPM? Does it make noise over bumps? Is the noise from one side or the other?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I also get a noise while going into third sometimes. Does anybody else notice this. i have a kartboy sts and it feels like third is harder than all the other gears to get into. Am i the only one experiencing this?

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5rs stm
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sound pretty much stays the same over speed and rpm. Bumps in the road don't seem to have any affect. It's hard to tell where the noise is coming from. I can hear it on the driver's side, but people definitely notice it riding in the passenger's side.

Downshifting doesn't replicate the noise, it only seems to be there when I press the accelerator. I thought I noticed some hesitation today in the higher rpms (4K+), but I don't want to get on it too hard if something's wrong.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mikey, what year/model is your car? It might be the something simple like the muffler pipe hitting your roll bar. Mine did that and at first I thought it was the cv joints. Grab the muffler when its cold and give it a shake. If you get clanking, replace the mounts or rig up a coat hanger.

TylerD, 3rd was really bad on mine, I would'nt even downshift into it. Try Scotty's Cocktail transmission fluid change. Mine shifts perfectly now, no BS - it works.
1. Qt Redline Shockproof lightweight
2. Qt Penzoil Synchromesh
3. 1.7QT Castrol Hypoid or Coast 80/90 weight gear oil

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5rs stm
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
toby, my car is a 2000 rs. I'll give it a try, but it sounds more like metal scrapping metal rather than something rattling.

whiterabbit, is there an easy way to check these springs?

thanks again for the responses, I plan on changing the tranny fluid this weekend.

·
Registered
01 impreza rs
218 Posts
i hear the same sound

i just cahnged my clutch.. i believe the mechanic dumpped my old trans oil,, so i hear that sound releasing clutch on 2nd,, but it only happens at slow speed, and when engine stress is high.. but if i rev high every time i change gear, everything is fine

i really believe changing to thicker oil would help, becuase i have new engine oil (without all the metal scrapping build up from past 3 years), and before that i have not noticed this symptom, i will change to redline soon, they are suppose to be easy on old synchros.

·
Banned
1997, Subaru, Impreza L, 2.2L,
2,363 Posts
MikeyP said:
toby, my car is a 2000 rs. I'll give it a try, but it sounds more like metal scrapping metal rather than something rattling.

whiterabbit, is there an easy way to check these springs?

thanks again for the responses, I plan on changing the tranny fluid this weekend.
i don't think there is an easy way to see if your throw out bearing clips are still connected. best way is to pull your tranny out or either have ur engine pulled forward.

·
Registered
'00 2.5RS Aspen White
3 Posts
I have a 2000 2.5RS that's making the same noise as well, but happens intermittently. Sometimes I think that a longer warm-up time solves the issue, but that isn't always true. It does sound like it's from the exhaust or something though... did anyone ever figure out what causes the scraping noise?

·
Premium Member
2000 Impreza 2.5rs stm
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy thread bump, I guess I should say thanks for searching :)

Honestly I never really got to the bottom of the issue. If I had to guess though the scraping noise was more than likely my heatsheilds rattling, but they only did so under acceleration. I believe that was the case because over time they got to the point where they rattled more, and fit the description most people seem to come up with concerning heat shields.

On top of that, the intermittent, random noises coming from the transmission turned out to be a big deal. I lost 2nd gear not too long after that. Went with a v5 jdm transmission and haven't had any issues since. Good luck with your problem, maybe somebody else can be of more help.

gah, OP was such a noob...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts