Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
00 RS Coupe STM
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I recently noticed that my transmission seems to be leaking...from what I have heard its possible that it is the rear main seal..I wanted to know if the tranny has any more seals that it could be leaking from.

tranny was completely rebuilt less that 7k miles ago with rallispec STi gear set..

I am going outside now to take some pictures of it for better feedback..

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
Rear main seal is on the Engine. Where exactly on the transmission do you see leaking from? Where it meets the motor, axles or driveshaft?

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
The rear main seal is much more common than a trans leak. The 5MT isn't under any pressurized lubrication so its more likely the engine is the culprit. I'd try to clean everything off and try to locate where it's coming from. If it's the bellhousing, then I'd say RMS.

·
Premium Member
2001 A.W. L
13,249 Posts
Rear Main Seal

Pull the dip stick on the trans and check the oil level. If it is the trans the last thing you want to have it is run dry

·
Registered
Green 97 OBS
1,840 Posts
Clean the whole trans off, degrease it. Then drive it for a little bit and check it again. Best way to find out where its coming from. Don't go very fast so the oil doesn't get blown around by wind, makes it much easier to see.

If you overfilled the trans, the extra oil will force it's way out of the dipstick. I've had that happen to me.

·
Registered
00 RS Coupe STM
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked the dipstick last week and it was about half full...I stopped driving the car since then to prevent this from becoming a bigger problem. Thanks for everyones help thus far!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.