Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

What's wrong with it

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza outback sport 2.2l NA down and broken at the moment.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
fork, ball, and spring should be in stock at any subaru dealership. they're standard replacement items when performing a clutch job. NEVER reuse the fork, ball, or spring unless you absofuckinlutely have to because you've been eating ramen to get by.

yes there are springs that hold the throwout bearing. The part number for your fork isn't there but a dealership should be able to help you.

All this assuming it's a 97 2.2L

Ball: 30537AA030
Throwout clips: 30539AA000 x2
Clip that holds fork to ball: 30534AA001

Assuming you're gonna use the throwout from your clutch kit so I didn't include that part number.

Found the fork on amazon: Amazon.com: Genuine OEM Subaru Clutch Release Fork 1990-1998 Impreza Legacy 30531AA111 NEW : Automotive

And with the part number, it is available from Subaru: 30531AA111
Thanks Silverton!, that's the kind of stuff that pushes this build along faster, gonna hit the dealer tomorrow and see what they have in stock. I've been cleaning parts for days and just got the clutch kit and most the transmission seals in today, awaiting a cv axle, speed sensor, ext. Need to find someone with knowledge or a repair guide for splitting the transmission. Got a lot of input shaft play so I'm guessing the input shaft bearing is worn and i can't just ignore it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seems like it was neglected for a short time, and in that time, they dogged it. I pulled the car fax before I ever went to look at it and was impressed until I seen the most recent owner. The guy was a dope head and drove it hard and blew up the clutch. Couldn't afford to fix it and didn't know how to diy so he pushed it into a parking lot and put it up for sale. Now i have it. A dedicated lifelong mechanic with the tools and equipment to get it done right. Only problem is I don't know specs on anything Subaru and have no repair manual for the transmission teardown.
Hope someone with the manuals would chime in and share.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Hope someone with the manuals would chime in and share.
It would be nice. I've ordered all the trans seals and the main input shaft bearing. Will probably brake it apart next weekend but i'ed really like some good input so I don't make anything worse.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,030 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Check this link out: You might need to be a member of that forum to download them, but CTF and I spent a lot of time collecting and organizing these manuals back in the day.
YES! Thank you so much. The breakthrough I've been waiting for. Time to grab another beer and study. I've got one key component missing, (other than any internal parts of the trans ill need to replace while I'm in it) A good clutch kit, I ordered one but it came with mixed matched parts and it's going back, along with the flywheel. Dropped off my old flywheel today at the machine shop but i still need a good, stock'ish clutch kit (pressure plate, friction disk, throw-out bearing and possible sleeve? I can't seem to find the measurement/spec for the neck that the throw-out bearing rides on so im not sure if i need a sleeve, and I see a lot of sleeve kits with overside bearing. (Indicating an issue of neck diameter wearing out) It may be in the link you sent but I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Check this link out: You might need to be a member of that forum to download them, but CTF and I spent a lot of time collecting and organizing these manuals back in the day.
So, I went through the complete transmission repair manual and found no measurement for the neck that the throw-out bearing rides on. Any idea what it should measure? or should i just sleeve it regardless? Flywheel came back today and looks good, awaiting main shaft bearing a seal kit to come in. If you or anyone you know has information of main shaft bearing replacement or any known issues, like possible internal case wear, where the bearing rides or anything else i should look for or is a must replace while its torn apart would be awesome. Thanks again for the link! huge help.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You may not need to sleeve your transmission. After acquiring an OE type clutch kit, clean up the shaft the release bearing rides on and see how loose of a fit it is. It's not a press fit, but it shouldn't have much axial wiggle play either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
You may not need to sleeve your transmission. After acquiring an OE type clutch kit, clean up the shaft the release bearing rides on and see how loose of a fit it is. It's not a press fit, but it shouldn't have much axial wiggle play either.
Yeah, seems okay. Tried an oem throw-out bearing and fits nicely. From what I could find the quill (bearing retainer) is supposed to be 33mm or 1.299". Haven't had a chance to check it (away from the shop) but when i get back in town from VW academy ill see how accurate that is. Still awaiting transmission seals, gaskets and Orings to show up before opening the case. Normal practice would indicate the main input shaft on the transmission should not have much, if any at all axial play, correct? Thats the main reason I'm so adamant about splitting the case. The transmission has 104k miles on it and I know my last gearbox (same box but fwd version) made it to 210k miles before losing 3rd gear.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts