Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

What's wrong with it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Impreza outback sport 2.2l NA down and broken at the moment.
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

New to the site, been poking around for a few weeks. This is my first post so if it's not in the correct place, please inform me. I picked up a 97 Impreza wagon as a project car. Before I ask, here's a little background on me. I've been a VW dealer technician for the past 10 years and before that I've always messed with anything mechanical i could get my hands on to learn, so I'm loaded with tools and knowledge I've earned over the years. My first car was a 94 Impreza sedan I bought when I was 14 for 600 bucks. I drove that car for 10 years and loved every second of it, Other than the cold winters and hot summers but that builds character lol. I can remember having my first gf help me sand primmer off the car, and my following gf helping me push the car out of a parking spot on our first date because the shifter bushings decided to fail, and I couldn't hit reverse (The good ol day's). So now that that's over, When I picked up the 97 wagon, I knew it wouldn't move under its own power (somethings was wrong with the transmission or clutch assembly) and I have yet to drop the trans. Before I do, I wanted to get some input from the group and see if we can come up with a roundabout conclusion, so I can get some parts before I drop it (it can't take up a lift while I wait for more parts kind of thing unless i want to put the trans back in and push the car out) The shift linkage is okay, it feels to shift into all the gears without regards to the engine being off, engine running, clutch pressed in or disengage) and that made me thing, crap the input shaft is broken on the transmission. But I'm not sure if that's a common thing (seems unlikely but you guys would now better) Any other thought?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I’d say just get a clutch and flywheel. You’re going to have to drop the transmission regardless to see what the problem is. Even if it isn’t the clutch, it’s better to change it while it’s apart given the age of the vehicle and you don’t know if it even ever got replaced.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d say just get a clutch and flywheel. You’re going to have to drop the transmission regardless to see what the problem is. Even if it isn’t the clutch, it’s better to change it while it’s apart given the age of the vehicle and you don’t know if it even ever got replaced.
True, I did plan to get a clutch kit just in case, just seems odd if it's a clutch issue.
Any recommendations on kits? Trying to keep things budget friendly until I figure outs what the issue is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, happy 1 year anniversary (y)

·
Registered
215 Posts
True, I did plan to get a clutch kit just in case, just seems odd if it's a clutch issue.
Any recommendations on kits? Trying to keep things budget friendly until I figure outs what the issue is.
I would probably go with an exedy kit like this one. Not sure if anyone has any other recommendation.

Exedy PRO-KIT Clutch+AF HD FLYWHEEL FITS: Subaru Legacy Impreza Forester 4CYL # 15010

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would probably go with an exedy kit like this one. Not sure if anyone has any other recommendation.

Exedy PRO-KIT Clutch+AF HD FLYWHEEL FITS: Subaru Legacy Impreza Forester 4CYL # 15010
Looks like a quality set. Got it saved for when I'm ready. Would like to be able to post in a more knowable thread but I'm still "new"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome! That looks like a good kit
)
Thanks friend. I was able to take the transmission out today and found a destroyed friction disk (along with other related casualty's 🙃)
so, I'll be ordering parts today. Whoever owned this thing before me did no zero maintenance it seems. Owel. More for me to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm assuming there should be some sort of spring to hold the clutch fork and the throw out bearing together.? Nothing was present after removing...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clutch is blown to shit. Any idea if there is a spring or retainer for the throw-out bearing to clutch fork. If I remember right, my older 94 Impreza had a spring. If it supposed to any idea where to grab one? Ordered your recommended clutch kit. Thanks again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My rs also had a spring on the back side of the clutch fork. Hard to see in the picture but you can see on the side of the throwout bearing
View attachment 90646
I had a feeling there should be something holding the throw-out bearing to the clutch fork. Any idea on a part number? Also found out today my input shaft on the transmission has mad up and down play, indicating the bearing for the input shaft is shit inside the gearbox 🙃 guess I'll have to split the case. Do it once do it right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That thing sounds neglected. Good luck
Seems like it was neglected for a short time, and in that time, they dogged it. I pulled the car fax before I ever went to look at it and was impressed until I seen the most recent owner. The guy was a dope head and drove it hard and blew up the clutch. Couldn't afford to fix it and didn't know how to diy so he pushed it into a parking lot and put it up for sale. Now i have it. A dedicated lifelong mechanic with the tools and equipment to get it done right. Only problem is I don't know specs on anything Subaru and have no repair manual for the transmission teardown.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You will be spending a lot of time on here. I think some after market clutch forks also come with the retention springs as well.

I have been using it a lot as a guide and part number reference but ive never ordered from them. Any idea on lead times after ordering? Ordered all my transmission seals today along with the oil separator cover, shifter bushings and rear main seal from rock auto. (on top of the other $500 order I placed yesterday 🙃) Also any help on a repair manual in general, or for the transmission (any special tools ill need, jigs, parts recommended to change inside, ect. would be lovely)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
fork, ball, and spring should be in stock at any subaru dealership. they're standard replacement items when performing a clutch job. NEVER reuse the fork, ball, or spring unless you absofuckinlutely have to because you've been eating ramen to get by.

yes there are springs that hold the throwout bearing. The part number for your fork isn't there but a dealership should be able to help you.

All this assuming it's a 97 2.2L

Ball: 30537AA030
Throwout clips: 30539AA000 x2
Clip that holds fork to ball: 30534AA001

Assuming you're gonna use the throwout from your clutch kit so I didn't include that part number.

Found the fork on amazon: Amazon.com: Genuine OEM Subaru Clutch Release Fork 1990-1998 Impreza Legacy 30531AA111 NEW : Automotive

And with the part number, it is available from Subaru: 30531AA111

1 - 20 of 27 Posts